Mechanic Crushed To Death By Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even remember how many times I worked in an auto repair shop where lifts often failed, and corporate was too cheap to do anything about it.

One reason I am half glad to be permanently sidelined due to medical issues.

That's a sad story, and an awful way to go. Working under cars needs the utmost of care, often because we're alone in the process and even if it falls, there's not much anyone can do.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Folks:

An old Cali guy here. While completely under my V12 E-Type Jag, which was up on four high quality jack stands, there was a minor earthquake. The earthquake was strong enough to rattle all the houses on the street. I could actually hear the houses clattering!

I extracted myself so quickly from underneath the car I'm fortunate I didn't pull it off the jack stands. Scared the CR&P out of me! Ever since I've always been a bit mindful when under a car, even when it's supported as well as humanly possible.

Scott

Yep I'm worried about quakes too. For oil changes, I use ramps and jack stands and place the jack against the lift point. Might buy a creeper too.

But I'm also thinking of using a trusted mechanic in future because a $20 oil change is nothing considering the reduction in risk and hassle of cleaning up.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Late 60s Fords were killing mechanics too,the fans were fracturing and breaking when revving the engines.I don't know if there was a recall persay or just a memo/bulletin,but that's nothing new...unfortunately.

Years ago, I had a '76 Mustang II that used to have an original 302 (yea, it was the Charlie's Angel's/Farrah Fawcett type of car. Don't ask) that actually had a recall for the exploding cooling fan. The recall notice actually said that there had been an instance where the fan blade flew off and killed someone. I actually had a VERY warmed over small block in it that could easily rev way over 6K and I still had the stock fan on it.
Yea, that was pretty stupid to keep it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back