Toyota has massive profits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mcrn
I think Toyotas are good cars. I just do not think they are the head of their class any more. Especially when it comes to the feeling of the interior. To me the newer Toyotas feel cheap compared to their competition. IMHO

I think that's the case, isn't it? They are merely good. But there is better. In today's market their seems to be good, better, best. Even the bad ones seem to make 100k easily, which, for most folk, is probably good enough (for those who place a higher value on gadgets than reliability after 100k because they will to trade before then).

To each their own. I'm content with mine. Good enough. Fits my engineer mentality.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: mcrn
I think Toyotas are good cars. I just do not think they are the head of their class any more. Especially when it comes to the feeling of the interior. To me the newer Toyotas feel cheap compared to their competition. IMHO

I think that's the case, isn't it? They are merely good. But there is better. In today's market their seems to be good, better, best. Even the bad ones seem to make 100k easily, which, for most folk, is probably good enough (for those who place a higher value on gadgets than reliability after 100k because they will to trade before then)

To each their own. I'm content with mine. Good enough. Fits my engineer mentality.
wink.gif

Really? What do you think is better?

Last edited:
If you only have one car that's hardly representative of the brand.

I had a GMC van that went half a million miles with almost no repairs. But I won't sit here and try and tell you it's "better" than some other brand. I like them and they make me money. Plus they have excellent resale value and sell quickly. It's a business decision.

But for my personal cars, trucks, boats, etc. I could care less about the brand. I buy something because it excites me or has potential I can unlock. Unfortunately for Toyota and the overwhelming majority of econoboxes there is nothing there for me, hence they are not represented in the driveway.

Buy enough cars and you'll get a lemon eventually. Even a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Very true!

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Very true!

OFF-TOPIC:
Gentlemens, this is the epitome of BITOG!
2 mature people, both favoring very different segments of the vehicle market, talking in a civilized way.

Thanks gents, you made my day.

Y'know, when I see reports like the subject of this thread, I can't help but immediately begin wondering why the 'technical innovation to profitability' index is SO LOW. Then as an automotive enthusiast and motorist I begin to get upset. And that's not good.

I have had 4 Toyota. While really durable but not trouble free. Now Toyota makes nearly best cars ever they built. All cars now really well built but still Toyota remains as the one to last and has high resell rate and value.
Lexus brand is a head & shoulder above mostly when it comes to initial quality & safety.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: rshaw125

How is it complete nonsense? Do they make any good sports cars? Is their reliability head and shoulders above the other makes like in the past? They still make good cars, but not as good as they used to.

The other companies have caught up on reliability. Remember Lexus is a Toyota.
Ever heard of the LFA?

http://www.lexus.com/models/LFA/

I've seen the LFA in person. It's a $400,000+ car that took 10 years to develop, and it didn't set the bar for anything. it was only just as good as any of it's competitors.

YES! I can think of MUCH else I would rather spend $400+K on, even if I had to spend it on a car, or multiple cars, DESPITE it having a failed F1 effort's based engine in it.
crackmeup2.gif

(Besides, it is ***** to me, especially for THAT coin.)

6+ years and almost 70K. Not one single problem on the Tacoma. Heck the OEM tires went 66K and still had 4/32" left all around. My second great Toyota pickup, why I went back to Ford in between, I'll never figure that one out.

It's not a track star, but it will carry and haul my "toy"(2nd line of signature) wherever I need it to go, on many occasions, and get 25 MPG doing it.

Toyota quit making the more 'fun' types such as Supra Celica even Solara. Now decent people movers, but nothing very 'sexy'

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Toyota quit making the more 'fun' types such as Supra Celica even Solara. Now decent people movers, but nothing very 'sexy'

My mom had a 2002 Toyota Solara. Driving it felt no different from driving a 2002 Camry with the same options.

As for cars that are exciting, I don't see them creating any, because I don't see any turbocharged gasoline engines. It was one reason the Supra, Celica All-Trac, and SW20 MR2 were fun.

I like Toyotas...we are now on our 6th Toyota product (3 Tyotas and 3 Lexus). So far no major issues. Good resale easy DIY maintenance and excellent reliability. None have ever failed to start in 650,000 combined miles.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Is their reliability today head and shoulders better than most other makes? YES,

They've had their share of problems. Off the top of my head was the sludge issue in the 3.0 V6, the engine failures in the BRZ, rusting frames on the Tacoma. These things didn't happen in the 80's and 90's.
They make good vehicles, but they are not head and shoulders better.

Then why does toyota dominate the most recent list of the most reliable cars in the world? Check consumerreports.org and see for yourself.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/2012/10/most-reliable-new-cars/index.htm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lovcom
Is their reliability today head and shoulders better than most other makes? YES,

The facts say no. 7th best.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Because CR is inaccurate and has been for years. The larger Toyota's market share the higher the percentage of recalls. Toyota is now 7th best in recall rate and overall recalls at 5.3 million for 2014.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany...t-recall-rates/

But recalls mean reliability! Some other automakers don't even make huge recalls, how dangerous is that!?
wink.gif

Seriously, some of the biggest revenue corporate giants have the most recalls and some of the least true innovation. Stuff just doesn't add up there. That is until you approach the issue from the "they just want to stuff their coffers" perspective. Then it all makes sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back