Is Mobil 1 Extended Performance really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart sells Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP the cheapest for the 5 quart jugs. Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP are considered to be a very good motor oil, just not the best.

Mobil 1 EP doesn't start to earn it's worth unless you push it further than regular M1 can go, which is pretty far, so i wouldn't be buying it for a warranty car.

I got my M1 EP for $25 and ran it for 13k in my CR-V. I did a UOA and it came back flawless for the most part. I would post it but I cannot figure it out for the life of me how to do it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 EP doesn't start to earn it's worth unless you push it further than regular M1 can go, which is pretty far, so i wouldn't be buying it for a warranty car.

+1 - if you are not going to go at least the 15K it is rated to be run, it would indeed be a waste. Simply, go with regular M1.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

+1 - if you are not going to go at least the 15K it is rated to be run, it would indeed be a waste. Simply, go with regular M1.

Agreed. Mobil doesn't even recommend the M1 EP for vehicles that are still under the factory warranty.

What's the price difference betyween EP and regular M1?

If it's only like $1 more, then go for it.

Otherwise, as others have said, don't waste your money unless you plan to exceed 15k miles (about 25k km), and you actually drive that much in a year.

For your Cruze, just use the cheapest dexos you can find if you use the OLM's suggestions or less.

Wow is it expensive there. I think I have seen it at walmart lately for $22.99 on sale. Usually I see it around $26-27.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Wow is it expensive there. I think I have seen it at walmart lately for $22.99 on sale. Usually I see it around $26-27.

All oil is expensive here
crazy.gif

...and don't be so quick to jump on the retailers either

Google "country pricing"
Quote:

“country pricing” – the practice of manufacturers charging retailers higher prices in Canada than in the United States for identical products.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
...and don't be so quick to jump on the retailers either

Exactly. Walmart and Canadian Tire have 100%+ markups on oil. That's not Imperial Oil's fault.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/car_care/which_oil/WhichOilOption2.aspx

If the Cruze is d.i., and M1 EP is supposed to take longer to break down, why not use it, hence 'extended performance' being a good choice against deposit or sludge build up.

M1 does recommend M1 EP for some new cars at least. They do for both my Hyundai, as the Ultimate Recommendation. Even after bubbling in the warranty bubble. See link above...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Agreed. Mobil doesn't even recommend the M1 EP for vehicles that are still under the factory warranty.

GM certainly recommends EP for cars under warranty. They just say you shouldn't exceed the manufacturer's OCI during the warranty period, which is the case for any oil from Mobil or any other producer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
GM certainly recommends EP for cars under warranty. They just say you shouldn't exceed the manufacturer's OCI during the warranty period, which is the case for any oil from Mobil or any other producer.

+1 Excactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back