Napa Ultra Platinum filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 301
are the fram extended guard filters any good,,i know the other frams are junk,,

The Extended Guard is a good filter ... has metal end caps and wire backed media. However, it's pretty expensive like most filters of that caliber.

napa here got me one this morning . They said that most
stores can order them just put a 4 in front of the part#.

Originally Posted By: fastrider1300
napa here got me one this morning . They said that most
stores can order them just put a 4 in front of the part#.

cool... pics or it didn't happen!! :p
laugh.gif

I'm new here byt have been on Bob's site reading on filters. I have got 3 of the new Platinum filters. The look great. I have also noticed some pricing and thought I'd let you know what I paid for mine, $8.04 each. I am very disipointed that as yet I can not get any information on this filter. I Emailed wix 3 weeks ago and have not heard from them. I have my local NAPA calling now for at least 1 1/2 weeks and Wix tells them they have no Information. I think they full of something as you cannot build something like a filter and not know the ratings of what it will do. Just my thinking

Originally Posted By: aebowser
I'm new here byt have been on Bob's site reading on filters. I have got 3 of the new Platinum filters. The look great. I have also noticed some pricing and thought I'd let you know what I paid for mine, $8.04 each. I am very disipointed that as yet I can not get any information on this filter. I Emailed wix 3 weeks ago and have not heard from them. I have my local NAPA calling now for at least 1 1/2 weeks and Wix tells them they have no Information. I think they full of something as you cannot build something like a filter and not know the ratings of what it will do. Just my thinking

welcome2.gif

if you happened to have missed my thread I cut open a new napa platinum: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323101&page=1

I agree wix is keeping a tight lip on specs.

I Did miss that The filter looks good on the inside. I have a Amsoil, Mobil 1, and the NAPA platinum to cut apart. I want to compare all three.

http://napafilters.com/ Has a little more info on Napa's filter options.

When I worked this weekend, I did a quick visual check on a Gold vs Silver vs ProSelect air filters i.e. 6153 series for a GM V6. All three were made in Mexico. The Gold & Silver had a great deal more pleats than the ProSelect. The Silver and ProSelect paper visually looked the same just more pleats on the Silver. The pleat count looked the same between Gold & Silver but the Gold had the darker colored paper(looks like maybe some "oil treated" stuff). Not scientific just some observations on a Sunday shift.

I haven't seen anything in writing but I think the Platinum will be Napa exclusive for a 6-12 months.

Dave

Originally Posted By: bmod305
http://napafilters.com/ Has a little more info on Napa's filter options.

When I worked this weekend, I did a quick visual check on a Gold vs Silver vs ProSelect air filters i.e. 6153 series for a GM V6. All three were made in Mexico. The Gold & Silver had a great deal more pleats than the ProSelect. The Silver and ProSelect paper visually looked the same just more pleats on the Silver. The pleat count looked the same between Gold & Silver but the Gold had the darker colored paper(looks like maybe some "oil treated" stuff). Not scientific just some observations on a Sunday shift.

I haven't seen anything in writing but I think the Platinum will be Napa exclusive for a 6-12 months.

Dave

Are you working on getting us some efficiency/flow and Bata numbers?

I went into NAPA the other night and got a price for a Platinum, posted about it in Texan4Life's thread, not in stock but in the system at least, $15.99 up here. Better than I thought it would be.

Spent some time looking around for some info on Napa's sights but came up with nothing so I sent them an email. I wanted to inquire about a Platinum version of the 7082 for the Ecotec and requested efficiency information for the 1040 vs. 41040.

I got a prompt reply from Wix stating that there will be a 47082 in the future just not available yet. All I was given for efficiency was that the Gold is a nominal micron rating of 21 and that the Platinum will be at 70. I did not get any more info when I asked about beta ratios other than the Platinum is geared toward extended drains.

I did also ask about Wix bringing out a synthetic media filter for passenger cars and was told yes but not in 2012.

Just thought I would share.

I don't understand why this info is so secretive in there minds with these platinums.

anyway thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I got a prompt reply from Wix stating that there will be a 47082 in the future just not available yet. All I was given for efficiency was that the Gold is a nominal micron rating of 21 and that the Platinum will be at 70.

Is that a mis-print? Nominal efficiency (50%) rating of 70 microns on the NAPA Platinum?. WOW, that kinda sucks.

Well at least he was forthcoming with the nominal rating although it isn't terribly flattering. However he also said that they don't typically publish beta ratio for automotive lube filters since the nominal is high compared to high efficiency oil/hydraulic filters were beta is more applicable. Also with a nominal micron rating of 70 beta ratio is irrelevant with the Platinum.

This second part sounds to me like marketing speak or maybe the beta ratio for the Platinum is even less flattering than the nominal. Guess another possibility is that, as some here have speculated, Wix's beta ratio numbers are fluff.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: cp3
I got a prompt reply from Wix stating that there will be a 47082 in the future just not available yet. All I was given for efficiency was that the Gold is a nominal micron rating of 21 and that the Platinum will be at 70.

Is that a mis-print? Nominal efficiency (50%) rating of 70 microns on the NAPA Platinum?. WOW, that kinda sucks.

No. Was stated a couple times in different emails. And ya I was kinda thinking the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back