Drain and Fill ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I purchased our 2005 Nissan Xterra at 60,000 miles. I know I should have drain/filled the transmission at that time, but I didn’t. The truck now has 86,000 miles, and is now mine as the wife just bought a new car. I have done the transmission bypass (as these are known for the radiator leaking and ruining the transmission) and purchased a 2nd cooler. To check for any possible coolant in the fluid, I sent a sample to Blackstone and got this back:

28tx45c.png

Now my main question is, am I ok to do a drain/refill at this point without hurting anything? I know the mileage is getting up there, and I would drain/refill every 8,000 miles or so until I feel the fluid has been relatively flushed. Also considering pulling the pan, checking the magnets, and cleaning the “screen”. I would also replace with Matic J if I can find local, if not, I will just put Matic S in.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: 00Crew
Would a drain/refill be sufficient though?

While 1 D&R would be good 3-4 over a time would be better just to renew most of the fluid .

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Would a drain/refill be sufficient though?

While 1 D&R would be good 3-4 over a time would be better just to renew most of the fluid .

That is what I plan to do. 3-4 D/R every 7-8,000 miles, and then let it be for another 35,000 miles or so.

A complete flush can be intimidating if you have never done one before.3-4 D/F are much easier and have a positive impact on the longevity of your transmission.

Now I am second guessing myself. The manual states to replace all of the pan bolts, as they are "self sealing". I am sure that keeping them all in the proper place, and using a new gasket, I could probably get away with using the old pan bolts. So since there is only a screen and no actual filter in my transmission, should I just do a drain and fill and leave the pan on? I am thinking depending on the end of the magnetic drain plug would determine if I pull the pan during the next short interval.

Now I am second guessing myself. The manual states to replace all of the pan bolts, as they are "self sealing". I am sure that keeping them all in the proper place, and using a new gasket, I could probably get away with using the old pan bolts. So since there is only a screen and no actual filter in my transmission, should I just do a drain and fill and leave the pan on? I am thinking depending on the end of the magnetic drain plug would determine if I pull the pan during the next short interval.

Just curious how this worked out for you- did you reuse the bolts? Any leaking or loosening?

Use Loctite 545 for the bolts.

When there is a drainplug, best to leave pan on. Install a magnefine atf filter would be my recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back