Weird sound on cold startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 2013 Hyundai Elantra 1.8l non-GDI engine with Manual transmission. Car is doing a strange sound on cold start. I mean that it will make this sound only if the car is park for more then 12h or so.
In first clip, listen carefully between 0:04 and 0:06 and on second clip between 0:20 and 0:22.

It sound like a pump who start working right after the engine as been start.
Dealer told me that it's a normal engine sound related to the timing chain but I can't figure how a 11 000km Car can sound like this.
We bought the car on Feburary 5 2014 and we didn't noticed that sound before the car hit 8000km or so.

We run Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and Hyudai OEM oil Filter. Oil has been change at 7000km so I don't think it's an oil related problem.

Is anyone has a clue on this?

Youtube Link Video

sounds like a martian space ship..

could that be an electric fan? Hyundai don't have the quietest engines but their 4 cylinder engines seem to run forever. And their warranty is pretty good also

Thats a noisy engine, are you referring to the whirring noise? If so I am not sure what it is, but my Accord makes a similar noise from time to time, although it can happen when warm as well.

Warranty? Our 2005 Legacy made a nutty sound like that initially that turned out to be clutch throw out bearing. It could be anything.

Sounds like it's not getting enough lubrication on startup,crazy piston slap or something (as if all the oil drained off the parts overnight and into the pan,not leaving enough oil film behind). Did you change oil brands/weights/dino/synth? Has it been that noisy since new?

Aside from that whirling sound, that I have no idea what it is, the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts and that's during summer months. I can only imagine the racket it must make on -20C mornings
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back