Gov't wants to mandate communication between cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to have computer driven cars. After watching many of yahoo operate their vehicle it is bound to happen. Just another freedom lost.

That will lead to big brother watching where you go, and how fast you go. Eventuality they can monitor you whereabouts and also automatically send out violations to you

I can see it now, no need for radar. Your speed and postion is transmitted right to the cop car. Heck he won't even need to set eyes on you! No thanks.

Quote:
The technology uses a radio signal that continually transmits a vehicle's position, heading, speed and other information.

Yep, Communicating right the the cops so they can issue speeding tickets by mail to everyone 3 mph over.

IMHO If it has anything to do with organized crime the government it is only about filling the coffers somewhere nothing more or less.

This is the administration's way of saving fuel: Make cars so expensive only the rich can own them. Back up camera, multiple air bags, antilock brakes, all good ideas, all adding to the expense of buying a car.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
This is the administration's way of saving fuel: Make cars so expensive only the rich can own them. Back up camera, multiple air bags, antilock brakes, all good ideas, all adding to the expense of buying a car.

Seriously? Yeah, none of those things have had meaningful, beneficial improvements in motoring safety, huh?

Actually, only the rich should own them, because people who cant afford to properl maintain their cars are a hazard to everyone.

This scenario MAY be different.

We are already tracked with cellphones, what you search for on google, where you spend money with a credit card, etc. If it is user data for some accident avoidance and other similar things, maybe it is NBD. The fear is when it is used maliciously by others including the powers that be.

People are becoming zombies on the road and can't pay attention to their driving anymore. So apparently they need help from the Gov't to protect said zombies with warning signals like the article talks about. Now drivers can be woken from their zombie state when danger is happening and hopefully not kill anybody around them ... LOL.

I think it would be a good idea. If it would save lives why wouldnt you want it. In the next town over a driver crossed double yellow line and killed himself two others and critically injured a fourth. If it could prevent something like this it would be a great idea.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
That will lead to big brother watching where you go, and how fast you go. Eventuality they can monitor you whereabouts and also automatically send out violations to you

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I can see it now, no need for radar. Your speed and postion is transmitted right to the cop car. Heck he won't even need to set eyes on you! No thanks.

People said the same thing about tollway/freeway cameras, didn't happen. They said the same thing about GPS in cars, didn't happen. They said the same thing about EZ-Pass/I-Pass electronic tolling, didn't happen.

I call shenanigans on the "evil big brother is watching you!" non-sense. Not gonna happen. Cars talking to each other does not equate to traffic tickets.

Some people are more important than others. I know you've seen them on the road. They have somewhere important to go and they're late. Getting there 2 minutes late could change the course of history and destroy civilization as we know it today. We'll just have to learn to get out of their way. The important ones tail-gate on the freeway, run stop sighs, pull out in front of others and are not allowed to drive anywhere without constantly switching lanes, it's a rule they are honor bound to follow. They have important phone calls to make and it goes without question that every text message is vitally important. The rest of us will have to be tracked so that when we get in their way we will be appropriately fined.

This is a foot in the door thing. If it is Govt, follow the money.

Safer if cars avoid each other.
Even safer if no one speeds because they get auto-tickets
Even safer if not as many cars on the road because you are taxed per mile
Even safer when the higher taxes go to mass transit

I will be buying new the last year before implementation.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Hmmm...
http://news.msn.com/science-technology/govt-wants-to-require-cars-to-talk-to-each-other

Not sure how I feel about this one. Kind of inclined to not like it.

It probably will help with collision avoidance given how distracted people are these days, but at what added cost to every new vehicle? And will the comfort of an added nanny just make people even more complacent, unaware, and distracted in their driving?

I think you're putting far too much emphasis on blaming distracted driving on safety features. I don't think every idiot that I see on the road that is simultaneously operating the vehicle and the phone, uses the phone because they think they're invincible thanks to the safety features in the vehicle. I think they use the phones because they're idiots in general.

Anyways, here is the NHTSA link with more information: http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+R...-communications

I think this is step 1 towards self-driving cars.

If you think the govt can't track you today with your cell phone you are living in a dream land.

Originally Posted By: babbittd

I think you're putting far too much emphasis on blaming distracted driving on safety features. I don't think every idiot that I see on the road that is simultaneously operating the vehicle and the phone, uses the phone because they think they're invincible thanks to the safety features in the vehicle. I think they use the phones because they're idiots in general.

True, I think you are right that the willfully distracted drivers probably aren't thinking through things to the point of "the car will protect me if I drive like a retard."

I do think this is a form of enabling though, rather than solving the root cause.

If we don't start dishing out consequences for distracted and plain bad driving, things will keep escalating until self-driving cars are mandated. Those of us who enjoy driving a car will be on the losing end. The idiots will win and finally be freed from the burden of having to control a machine other than their phone. That is ultimately what I am worried about. I like being able to operate a vehicle myself; except for encounters with idiots who can't be bothered with paying attention, it is an enjoyable activity. One of my favorite things to do on Thanksgiving is to go for a drive because the roads are mostly empty.

Willful stupidity should not get a free pass. There should be consequences for being dumb when there is an option to not be dumb. This new mandate seems like an enabler for stupidity, and all of us will have to pay for it.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
We are going to have computer driven cars.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I think this is step 1 towards self-driving cars.

NHTSA is not hiding this motive:

V2V technology has the potential to be fused with existing vehicle safety features to further improve the effectiveness of many crash avoidance safety systems currently being developed and implemented in the vehicle fleet and serve as a building block for a driverless vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back