Baja Motorsports MB200 Minibike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got one (er, ah....for the grandkids I mean!). Fun little bike for what it is. Starts easily, brake is fair, spare parts seem readily available. I like it since I can reach the far corners of our property in mere minutes and my wife likes it so much she placed an order for another one. Any opinions on this hunk of machinery from anyone?

We have had many toys over the years and included in that was 2 BAJA "doodle bug" or "dirt bug" they are just a standard mini-bike with a 2-3hp honda clone engine.

They are pretty cheap when it comes to hardware and the hardware itself is not that reliable as one would expect. Good thing is you can find all the parts cheap.
The motors on these are a Honda (GC IIRC) clones and a GREAT forum for these bikes is http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/.

Its a common swap to put a 6.5hp Honda clone on these NOT FOR KIDS, than they will carry a 200lb man 50mph !

FWIW; these clone engines seem to like a 15-40 HDEO, I always use Rotella or Delvac in ours. You ABSOLUTELY have to use enzyme or some type of ethanol treatment in them, the carbs are finiky and DEFINITELY need treated to sit over winter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Yes, I know it's fairly cheaply made but it appears it will serve our purpose. As long as parts are available I can keep them going.

I had already planned on using Rotella Triple-T 15w40 in them. The MB200's have the 6.5HP engine and are sprocketed for 24mph. I read somewhere about retofitting them with t/converters for more speed/power but they already do what I need them to do. I (or the grandkids for that matter) don't need anymore speed than what they do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Thanks for the link. Yes, I know it's fairly cheaply made but it appears it will serve our purpose. As long as parts are available I can keep them going.

I had already planned on using Rotella Triple-T 15w40 in them.

Yeah I forgot to mention, that with keeping the fuel treated ours starts on the first pull (within reason) every time and runs great, we have had the one for several years and bought it used, it still runs like new.
I have had to put a tube in the rear tire, replace the chain, carb (PO had it messed up), kick stand spring. My only real complaint is the brakes suck and need constant adjustment, but they do make a hydraulic kit for them....

I did one mod, I fabricated an adapter so I could put a "cone" air filter on. I used a common racing go-kart air filter and it improved throttle response and just seemed to smooth the whole power band out a little bit.

Last edited:
We ordered a spare carb and a carb repair kit tonight along with a clutch and both chains....just to have on hand. Parts seem dirt cheap....I think she may have ordered a few other spare parts but I'm not sure what else. No doubt these two bikes will see their share of riding.

Good tip about the fuel....thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon

I had already planned on using Rotella Triple-T 15w40 in them. The MB200's have the 6.5HP engine and are sprocketed for 24mph. I read somewhere about retofitting them with t/converters for more speed/power but they already do what I need them to do. I (or the grandkids for that matter) don't need anymore speed than what they do.

"comet" (I think) is a company that makes decent torque converters for them. They work well for maintaining speed when you come to an incline, by not allowing the engine to load down as much.

The 6.5 Honda clone that guys swap in has all the aftermarket parts capability's where as the ones that came stock on these machines does not. I understand though it's for the kids
wink.gif
smirk.gif
So was our last one
smirk.gif

your most common parts are probably in stock at a local Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
I had a go cart made by Baja and beat the sh@# out of it. Rolled it once, and never changed the oil or even bothered to check it (I had it when I was age 10-14). It lasted 4 years and got beat up. So as far as their go carts and the engines, they seem good. Now I also had a doodlebug which held together, but by the time I had put about 50 hours on the engine, it developed a knock and still runs today however. I did change the oil on that religiously though. So for what it is worth and made of, they are decent and rugged.

By the way, I sold the go cart when I was 14, still running and all.

Last edited:
I also have a Baja 200. I bought it on Black Friday a few years ago for $299. I figured for the price I couldn't go wrong, and I was correct. It is a great little neighborhood or farm cruiser. The thing runs forever on a tank of gas and can drag my 230 lbs around without any problem. I would like to do the torque converter mod but am wary as the stock rear drum brake has a tough enough time with 20-25 mph. I think mine has Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 in it now. Enjoy!

Last edited:
We took both for a spin today and I did a little maintenance on them prior to our ride....good thing since one of them had the jack-shaft chain way too tight. I've been meaning the check it over anyway since it seemed noisier than the other. Minor adjustment fixed it right up.

I had previously put a torque wrench on all frame, fork and axle bolts and did it again today.....very minimal tightening before the click.

They seem to run forever on a tank of fuel.

Cool minibike! I've seen few of those around, but have no experience with them.

We had a little kid sized 110cc 4-wheeler for a few years. Taotao was the brand. It was $600 shipped to the door. That was a great little machine, but too fast for my liking for my kids on our property. Just had to go over every fastener with some blue loctite, put a good spark plug on it and add a good inline fuel filter. Ran like a top. Not real heavy-duty obviously, but great for a yard machine or light trail cruiser.

Sold it on CL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back