Bike Chain Lube Recommendations Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
DBI_Consumer_MULTI-USE_14oz.gif

It's dry and it works great.

The Multi-Use formula was changed in 2011 and is no longer "dirt-resistant, dry-wax".
http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/multi_use_lubricant.html

If you want a dry, dirt resistant formula, it's now in their Chain-Saver product:
http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/chain_saver.html

DBI_Consumer_Cain-Saver_14oz.gif

google.nl
Originally Posted By: Sluggo0018
My son bought a used 21 speed Mongoose mountain bike last year to use at college in Indiana. The bike sits outside from late August until mid May unprotected. There is no possibility to bring it inside to keep it out of the rain and snow. I am sure he won't take the time to cover it. The frame of the bike is aluminum.

He just bought and installed a new chain to replace the slipping and rusted one. Considering the exposure to the elements, what lube would be recommended for this new chain? I'd like to find something that might stand up to the weather as well as provide the necessary lubrication. I use a wax based lube on my road bike, which is stored inside during bad weather. I don't the wax based lube will hold up in these conditions. I'm thinking something petroleum based and thick (grease?) might last a little longer and not be washed away. I am looking to nurse this bike through the next three years without too much maintenance and replacement of parts.

Any suggestions?

I sow this long thread and I read how other people tame the common problem in derailleur system.
Actually in bicycle developed country with such problem doesn’t exist. The people use internally geared hub The chain in covered with plastic or metal case / it is common in UK, the Netherlands and Germany. The people ride such bikes and few of them take care for their bike.
The emerging new technology is available also – Carbon belt drive+ Internal gear Hub. The German Pinion lunched revolutionary new concept of Internal gearbox too, but this solution are targeting the high sector.
My points are
1. It is hard to solve problem caused by improper design.
2. Thinks that are great in one area mostly are poor in other. E.g While derailleur chain system is perfect for Road /MTB/ATB racers and recreational cyclists they are really bad in term of durability, robustness and maintenance.
3. Use the thinks for what they are designed for.

On my cheap bike that is left outside (I call the two miler), I glop any old motor oil on it. Its going to get dirty, but rust is a bigger issue than wear and dirt for this sort of bike. Dont over think and dont over spend. This is not a $10K Serotta.
Degrease once a year or thereabouts.

Originally Posted By: duckboy55
W-d-40 for monthly maitince and brush on thick grease once a season or so

WD-40 doesn't belong on a bike chain, it's not a lube.

For the OP: One of the thicker oil-based wet lubes should work, or motor oil, or bar & chain oil. The advantage to buying a bike lube is it comes in a container that makes it easier to apply.

The pro teams use a coat of grease on the chain over whatever lube they apply during rainy races (the grease won't make it in between the rollers so won't lube the chain but helps hold the lube in there and keep water out). I imagine this is a more messy operation that your son wants to deal with.

Probably the best bet for wet weather would be to start with a clean chain, melt some grease and immerse that chain in it but once again it would be _messy_. This basically be how a new chain comes lubed.

Thing is, the chain will still rust, just less. Unless the drive-train is coated in so much lube it will look like it was lubed with tar after a few rides you aren't going to be able to stop it rusting.

Phil Wood Tenacious Oil.

You're Welcome.

Just kidding... Actually, it's fantastic stuff. It sticks really well and lubricates great. Water doesn't wash it away.
Only downside is it needs to be applied carefully. Drop on each link and wipe off the excess.

Originally Posted By: Surestick

Sure it does. WD-40 has their own line of bike lube products.... it came out about 2 years ago.

I've always used chain saw bar oil. I just fill up a thumb squirter type oil can and use it for all the kids bikes and whatnot. It's got something in it to help cling to the chain,a tackifier I believe they are called.
And because it sticks better I find that I don't have to oil the chain near as often over the summer.
Prior to bar oil I used canola oil.
Worked well to be honest.

I like Rock N Roll chain lubricant, seem to be long lasting and keeps the chain fairly clean. They have 3 variations depending on the riding conditions. I use the gold which is good all around use. I would think the extreme (blue) one would be good for your use.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Sure it does. WD-40 has their own line of bike lube products.... it came out about 2 years ago.

Which proves my statement pretty well doesn't it?

I think the wax based ones like White lightning would hold up pretty well in wet. I'm not a fan on my own bike because the wax hangs on and collects dirt, but for a bike outside, that may be best.

Other than that, I'd lean towards Phil Wood's tenacious oil.

My own bike gets Tri-Flow, ATF, tenacious oil, or Pedro's extra-dry.

Which proves my statement pretty well doesn't it?

Not really. Some professional cyclists technicians like WD40 lube for their own bikes and the pro-riders they work for.

Not really. Some professional cyclists technicians like WD40 lube for their own bikes and the pro-riders they work for.

The new bike lubes they make, maybe. If not, references?

I am using a mixture of 80% paraffin and 20% beeswax. I heat the wax in an old crock pot until clear and then put the chain in. Then I turn off the heat and after a few minutes, remove the chain and lay it out to dry before reinstalling. It is good for ~500 miles and the chain seldom gets dirty anymore since there is no oil to attract dust.

This is for riding in mostly dry conditions. I expect to be able to use the same wax (and chain) for years.

Last edited:
I used Breakfree CLP on our chains yesterday. Liking the initial results. Smooth and quiet.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back