The one benefit I see with push button start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Cause the main benefit is you don't have have to root around for a key

Don't you still need to root around for the key to unlock the car first? Unless you typically just leave it unlocked. I suppose some cars will automatically unlock themselves when the key is near...

No; it "should" have the proximity sensor for the door locks so they open when you touch the handle. Well, at least Acura does it like that and I am sure most everybody has similar feature. Same thing when you walk away from the car, you press the button on the door handle to lock it. As long as you have the fob in your pocket, locking/unlocking works via door handle.

What you can do however is this:-
1) you drive to the train station
2) jump out as your train is coming to the station
3) you give flying kiss to your wife
4) wife drives the car home but stops to pick up milk
5) she now can NOT restart the car as you have the key and she is stuck in the parking lot of 7/11 and "Appu", the foreign owner of the 7/11 is now going to kidnap her :)

BUT, the car keeps on complaining loudly that there is no key in the car, so unless you are deaf and blind, the above situation has just been added for the drama.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Vikas
The advantage is that the key stays in your purse (or pocket) and never needs to come out

Or you do it my way and throw the fob in the ashtray and forget it. Anyone could drive of with my car, i don't lock it at home. LOL

And where did you say you lived again sir? lol

Originally Posted By: Trav
The advantage is that the key stays in your purse (or pocket) and never needs to come out

Or you do it my way and throw the fob in the ashtray and forget it. Anyone could drive of with my car, i don't lock it at home. LOL

I don't think you can lock the fob in the car anymore. With the Taurus if it senses a fob in the car and you lock it, it will immediately beep and unlock the doors. Found that out on our first trip when I gave my wife the spare. She put it in the suitcase in the trunk. Couldn't lock the car until she removed it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Cause the main benefit is you don't have have to root around for a key

Don't you still need to root around for the key to unlock the car first? Unless you typically just leave it unlocked. I suppose some cars will automatically unlock themselves when the key is near...

No; it "should" have the proximity sensor for the door locks so they open when you touch the handle.

BUT, the car keeps on complaining loudly that there is no key in the car, so unless you are deaf and blind, the above situation has just been added for the drama.

Quoted for emphasis. Subaru's keyless entry and start works the same way, in that an audible beep is issued that can be heard both from within and without the car. I mostly hear this at the gas station, when I hop out of the car with the fob still in my pocket while my passengers are listening to the radio or fiddling with the gps.

The proximity sensors are also all the way around the vehicle. The car will beep at me if I put my finger on the LOCK area of the handle while outside the car, but the fob is in my center console; like I said before, I toss all of my keys there on long trips and usual forget to grab the fob while stopping at a rest stop.

The proximity sensors also only allow unlocking of all doors from either the driver-front or passenger-front door, which ever the key is near. This means that, while my wife and I walk up to the Subie, she can't unlock her or any of the doors if I'm standing on the opposite side with the fob in my pocket. I'll have to do more testing on the proximity sensors to determine how close the fob has to be to each to allow either door's handle to cause the system to activate the unlock feature (i.e., how close do I need to be with the fob for my wife to be able to unlock the doors from either front door handle.)

While many of the technology's are convenient and or cool, I find it disconcerting that when they break it often causes our vehicle to be out of service (at the dealers) for many days. In addition; the cost is often exorbitant as in a power window motor replacement costing $1,200 or a power mirror at $1,000+ and the list goes on. At one time, a car owner could expect to keep a vehicle for 150,000 miles but, it seems now that electrical problems negate that expectation because of of repair cost. JMO. Ed

To address the 'train station' scenario, Ford has installed an irritating, yet dummy-proofing measure on the Focus in an attempt to prevent people from driving away without a key. If anyone gets out of my car while it's running (any door...even the hatchback) and the car no longer detects a key inside the cabin, the horn honks twice when the door closes. It's a lovely wake-me-up at 6:00 in the morning when I start my car and go back inside the house to retrieve something I forgot.

Last edited:
Same with the Nissan. You can drive around until you shut off the car. I've dropped oilBabe off in a store. When she takes her purse, she's taken the key. I can park and simply lock the car with the power lock button and all is well.

It will not allow you to lock the car with a key inside the cabin or trunk.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
My Mazdas just beep at me when I walk away with the key while they're running. It's still loud, but nowhere near as bad as the horn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back