What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vikas, I don't remember seeing the 1 million revolutions statement you're asking about. It wouldn't take too long though to reach that number. An engine turning at 2,000 rpm's at say 65 mph would turn 120,000 rpm's in an hour, so it would take less than 9 hours to turn 1 million rpm's. The instructions on the LM Ceratec bottle said to run it 3,000 miles....IIRC, which would be far more than 1 million RPM's.

On the run to St. Louis MO today in the 153K mile 2000 Towncar we hit MPG with the Ceratec that ranged from 23.5 to 26.5. While not much in the way of hard facts I do think Ceratec may improve MPG as much as MoS2. We will plan to do more gathering of data on our trip to MD next month. The best way to get 2 more MPG so far has been to cut forward motion by 15 MPH.
smile.gif
It is amazing how much less gas it takes to go 55 than 70. One wild card is at 3500 miles of running the Ceratec (normal) we had to add a quart and we used Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 which contains Moly from Mobil and I think is perhaps the best of all motor oils on can run in an older engine. It is slick and we have started using it as cutting oil when sawing steel with the Sawsall and drilling steel. It makes blades last much longer and keeps them from turning blue from heat. Tue evening we sawed the remains of an 8' 1300 Tommy Lift Gate off the rear off the tail of our 16' dump bed and only used 4 blades.

On our test Ceratex engine that we ran for 1,000,000 RPM's the metrics were simple. My butt got tired of being out in the cold listening the the 325 Polaris 4-stoke do a fast idle for 11 hours over two days.
smile.gif

As you read we bought it from a guy that blew an oil cooler line running down the highway (40 MPH is max on that machine stock) until it was knocking loud enough for him to hear it. The rod bearing inserts were worn paper thin and the crank shaft was really chewed up and the connecting rod was scrap metal and totally black on the lower end. The rest of the engine parts still mic'ed in tolerance and were reused for the 11 hours of fast idle testing. I covered the results when I posted it last Jan. We did pick up a tight used bottom end but due to distractions of life when it got warmer we did not rebuild the engine so now we hoping to get on it when it gets too wet to work outside. With the old back hoe we have cleared an acre of small trees for another parking lot at church and I still have to put that on grade and haul the gravel from a pit two miles up the road.

Back to Ceratec we plan to run it in both of the 325cc Polaris ATV's just to increase the odds of not trashing an engine use to total lost of motor oil. We will be using the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 in all of our air cooled engines going forward and other gas engines that we change ourselves. If Ceratec is not in the crankcase then I expect MoS2 will be or Archoil AR9100.

I just finished changing the oil 'with the LM Ceratec in it' in my Harley. 3 qts 24 0zs of Valvoline Vr1 20w50 and added 8 ozs of MoS2 to make 4 qts which is the oil capacity of my bike. I'll have to get used to the oil being black looking just after a fresh oil change...LOL! My plan is to run it 5,000 miles between changes. I'm curious about the mpg's but my main reason for using the LM Ceratec and MOS2 is hopefully for longevity. I got 51 mpg on my last fill up and will report back on my mpg's at my next few fill ups.

My Harley ran cooler with mos2 in the sump and every little bit helps with an air cooled engine.
My habit is now to flush any new to me engines. Once I'm satisfied the innards are clean I use a long drain oil,old ultra since I've got a stockpile and run it with ceratec for as long as humanly possible,then mos2 every subsequent oil change.
I'm not an idiot. And work hard for my money. I'm also open minded. If I use a product and it does nothing then I don't buy it again. Simple.
Cera-tec and mos2 have consistently proven fuel economy benefits in every v-8 I've used them in and based on data I've acquired with an IR gun they lower operating temps which in turn lowers oil temps.
I'm not trying to sell the stuff or convince anyone to use it. I'm merely sharing my experiences with a product.

I've used many different additives over the years. From slick 50 to duralube and everything in between. All of them were only purchased once because they did nothing to help fuel economy. Even used zmax with amsoil and nothing changed.
Yes today's oils are very well formulated and perhaps they are fine just the way they are however I've proven time and time again that an 8 dollar can of mos2 saves me hundreds in fuel every oci.
I proved it with my charger when I tested it last year. I proved it with my 99 silverado,which gained 150km per tank in comparison to before using the additive.
I have integrity and my word is my bond and the measure of a man. I wouldn't say the stuff worked if it didn't. That would make me a liar and mean my word meaningless,which as a man is unacceptable.
In the end I don't care if anyone uses the stuff. Don't if it makes you uncomfortable because in the end today's oils are very good. But for me I want that extra little bit more.
If mos2 didn't save me fuel I wouldn't use it. I'm not in the habit of burning money and if there was no return I wouldn't buy it.
My 16 air compressors and 7 generators get 1/4 can of mos2 every second oil change.
I've got 2 compressors with very high hours. By my count the oldest has a nominal 15000 hours on a Honda 5.5 160cc engine and the second oldest has a nominal 12000 hours on it.
My service guy says they are rated for 5000 hours before requiring rebuild. Mine have had nothing but oil changes and a frankenbrew fuel additive of my own design.
These 2 compressors run 10 hours a day,6 days a week and have never required so much as a gasket replacement.
When I change the plugs they are clean,so that kinda flies in the face of arco who swears that mos2 will leave deposits.

Oh. I almost forgot. I was asked to look at the plugs in my charger which used both mos2 and has had ceratec.
After 35000 miles with either one of these products in the oil or the other when I checked 4 plugs yesterday the plugs had no deposits whatsoever. None.
Car now has 85000 miles on it.
So I'm satisfied,even if others aren't. I'm not trying to change anyone's minds,I'm just sharing my experiences.
And yes if I found that the results were negative I would share them with the forum to potentially save another member from harm.

Thank you for this post. I am nearing the end of the treatment cycle with Ceratec. My oil remains completely usable-looking at 2x the OCI. Never has it ever done that. At its OCI, it would be opaque. It is the color of dark honey now. I should also add I have been using LC-20 as well. I have noticed a gain in MPG on the open road and a smidge in the city. My plugs are also perfect.

I would like to ask if you add in Moly with the subsequent oil change? I have been reading this thread and there appears to be some confusion. I'm going to add it unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. Your input would be most appreciated.

Edit: I just re-read the recent posts and it appears adding Moly next is what is being done. No sense in reinventing the wheel.

Last edited:
keesue:

Lubro Moly engineers recommend that Cera Tech and MoS2 be used separately for maximum benefit.

Like Clevy, I run Cera Tech for at least 5,000 miles in my vehicles and then MoS2 each oil change after that. Power equipment can also benefit from MoS2 and I use it in all my outdoor equipment.

Clevy thanks for that detailed post since I first used MoS2 and Ceratec some 8 months ago. Anti-friction additives that create no harm are a good thing in my book. If temps go down that is very telling.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
keesue:

Lubro Moly engineers recommend that Cera Tech and MoS2 be used separately for maximum benefit.

Like Clevy, I run Cera Tech for at least 5,000 miles in my vehicles and then MoS2 each oil change after that. Power equipment can also benefit from MoS2 and I use it in all my outdoor equipment.

Many thanks for the reply. I'll add it in at my next oil change. I am very pleased with the results overall.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
keesue:

Thanks!

As a quick update I would up driving the 2000 Towncar (155K miles) that still has the Ceratec in the oil for about 5K miles now so I just checked average mileage after resetting it after our last road trip and the average was 20 MPG. We live in a rural area so it is not stop and good all the time but the last time I checked local driving for a long period of time it was like 11 MPG average. I am sure there are other factors like winter driving etc but I expect the Ceratec is a factor. Oil consumption rate has not increased or decrease of about a quart every 3000 miles and it is not a leaker.

650 mile trip in the Towncar this week averaged 24 MPH and we hit 7K on the Ceratec fill. It now has been topped of twice with M1 MH 10W-40 so that is half a gallon when it specs 5W-20 so that could hurt mileage a tad perhaps.

I'm curious if Ceratec can reduce smoking/oil use like MoS2 did in my mower. I personally have not tried Ceratec.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
650 mile trip in the Towncar this week averaged 24 MPH and we hit 7K on the Ceratec fill. It now has been topped of twice with M1 MH 10W-40 so that is half a gallon when it specs 5W-20 so that could hurt mileage a tad perhaps.

So..to summarize: Are you getting a gain from 20mpg to 24 mpg with Ceratec?

Ceratec as not reduced or increased the 1 quart burn rate per 3K miles in the old towncar 4.6L engine and it has never smoked.

On MPG I did not do a recent test but I remember 22 MPH from a long time ago. MoS2 and Ceratec may be of a same help with mileage by 2 MPH but the quieter engine with either tells me they help to some degree. Again with just proper grade of motor oil the engine should wear out the chassis.
smile.gif

Some people spend money on golfing, bass boats, etc. I like to spend extra on lubes.
smile.gif

If we make the run to WI in a few weeks I may just do it with fresh oil for the heck of it and add something before the upcoming MD run after the WI run.

Still wanting to try Archoil AR 9300 but the $200 per gallon price is holding me off. That is only $2 per quart of motor oil however and a gallon will do everything we own twice (you add 1.12 oz per quart) I saw on Jay Leno website.

We have been running Ceratec in the wifes 08 Liberty for around 6000 miles now.

The Corporate 3.7 V6 has never been this quiet.
You can barely hear it idle.

It feels very smooth and responsive too.

Mileage....I never really followed that much but the Wife tells me that she gets a mile or more per gallon.

I put gas in it yesterday and will remind her to check on the next fill.

Anyhow, I'm sold on the stuff.

Here are some facts on engine additives:

Cera Tec by LiquiMoly is Boron Nitride in an oil carrier.

Boron type components are already included in most motor oils.

LiquiMoly Oil Additive by LiquiMoly is a suspension of SOLID MoS2 powders in an oil carrier.

Better moly chemistries are already included in most motor oil PI additive packages.

RESTORE Engine Restorer,
Quote:
RESTORE repairs worn out areas in the cylinder walls to improve the seal between piston rings and cylinder walls.
This stuff contains small particles of copper, silver, and lead.

NOW, do you really want any of this stuff in your motor oil, a motor oil that has had thousands of dollars of Research and Development behind it to yield a "balanced" lubricant, verses some company that does not?

In engines showing no signs of problems or evidence of a problem, the only benefit is to the OTC additive company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

NOW, do you really want any of this stuff in your motor oil, a motor oil that has had thousands of dollars of Research and Development behind it to yield a "balanced" lubricant, verses some company that does not?

In engines showing no signs of problems or evidence of a problem, the only benefit is to the OTC additive company.

Lubro Moly/Liqui Moly is a Oil Company that sells Motor Oil as well as Additives.

What Makes you believe that they dont have a R&D department with a Good Budget?

What makes you believe they need to sell OTC additives if they have such a great motor oil, other than increased sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back