Nitrogen in motorcycle tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Harley Electraglide valve stems are a pain to access. I have to remove the right side saddle bag and move the bike to just the right spot to get my gauge and air chuck in to check and add air to the rear tire. Since Nitrogen is more stable and my bike sits for weeks at a time in the winter, I'm wondering if anybody has used Nitrogen in they're motorcycle tires and how expensive it is to fill 2 tires. Thanks

I wouldn't go thru the trouble.In bulk nitrogen is cheap. The places that sell it are making a killing charging people crazy money for it. Nitrogen is a dry inert gas that we used to fill fire extinguishers with. The pressure wont drop as much as using dry air, in cold temps. Best thing I can recommend is installing 90 degree valve stems next time you change out your tires.,,

Has anyone ever thought of using argon from the tank on their welding setup? Would that inert gas be beneficial? Less prone to leaking being a heavier (larger?) atom?

My brain's gone to mush. Where's MolaKule?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Has anyone ever thought of using argon from the tank on their welding setup? Would that inert gas be beneficial? Less prone to leaking being a heavier (larger?) atom?

LOL

Nitrogen is much better than wet, oxygen laden air, but pressure still goes up, and down with temperature. Been using it for 10 years in thousands of tires for free. Oxygen is a pretty powerful gas. If the oxygen you breath only drops 5%, so do you.

Quote:
My Harley Electraglide valve stems are a pain to access. I have to remove the right side saddle bag and move the bike to just the right spot to get my gauge and air chuck in to check and add air to the rear tire

Is this a for-real post?

Try moving the bike forward or backward so valve stem is at bottom of wheel so you don't have to remove a saddlebag..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
My Harley Electraglide valve stems are a pain to access. I have to remove the right side saddle bag and move the bike to just the right spot to get my gauge and air chuck in to check and add air to the rear tire

Is this a for-real post?

Try moving the bike forward or backward so valve stem is at bottom of wheel so you don't have to remove a saddlebag..

Ditto: Never had to remove a bag to put air in a tire. I even have bag extensions.

Quote:
Since Nitrogen is more stable
What does this mean? Nitrogen is usually very dry, most tire shops do not buy an air dryer (or don't maintain the one they have) so compressed air often has moisture in it. That is the difference. Not a biggie.

The next time the wheel is off, put on new valve stems that will let you get to them better. Buy a different air chuck that is a better fit. Park your motorcycle on a Park-n-Move dolly. http://www.legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm#.U_JBQWPfITA

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
Since Nitrogen is more stable
What does this mean? Nitrogen is usually very dry, most tire shops do not buy an air dryer (or don't maintain the one they have) so compressed air often has moisture in it. That is the difference. Not a biggie.

The next time the wheel is off, put on new valve stems that will let you get to them better. Buy a different air chuck that is a better fit. Park your motorcycle on a Park-n-Move dolly. http://www.legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm#.U_JBQWPfITA

There was a JEEP/Chrysler dealer near me that their air compressor was not working, Turned out that the 80 gal. air tank was full to the top with water! Never ever drained.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

I don't see why not - though I'm not a physicist (or Mole-A-Kool, sorry
smile.gif
but I have operated Plasma Chambers using differing gasses including N2 and O2 and Ar. Just recalled Ar is monatomic so that would make it "smaller" than the bonded Nitrogen. So that's possibly why you don't see it used as a stable tyre inflator.

Last edited:
A tire needs air to perform and to last, so it's necessary to check
inflation pressure weekly. Its a fact that every tire loses air,
molecule by molecule, because of rubber's natural porosity. Inflating
with an inert gas such as Nitrogen or Argon will stabilize pressure
over a wider temperature range but may loose more pressure through the
natural porosity due to it being a smaller molecule than air...

Underinflated tires can result in imprecise cornering, higher running
temperatures, irregular tread wear at the edge of the contact patch,
fatigue cracking, over stressing and eventual failure of the tire
carcass.

I think the idea here, is nitrogen has less leakage, big molecules or something, so if he can get away with checking tire pressure once or twice per year it might be worth the money, verses I check mine weekly and normally add a psi or two.

Quote:
so if he can get away with checking tire pressure once or twice per year it might be worth the money

WOW! I hope we don't find him on the side of the road!

I don't know about anyone else on this site but I put around 20k a year on a bike! The engine oil level, lights, cables, belt tension and tires get checked every weekend. The tires get kicked (just like a big rig) everyday before going to work.

Air is a mixture of gasses, water vapour and particulate amoungst other "living" things.

I would imagine there is a benefit to removing the H-OH and O-O. IIRC Nitrogen allotrope is just a tad "smaller" than the Oxygen equivalent.

Last edited:
Best part is that with no oxygen IN the tyre, the O2 part of the air will leak in, as the partial pressure of air outside the tyre is greater than the partial pressure inside the tyre.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Best part is that with no oxygen IN the tyre, the O2 part of the air will leak in, as the partial pressure of air outside the tyre is greater than the partial pressure inside the tyre.

A little might permeate back in if purged to 100% N2, but I just checked one of my tires inflated with N2 3 years ago, with a oxygen meter and it is still at the 95% level they where filled at. One observation I have made over the 10 years of using N2 is the moisture will try to equalize. Checked the same tire that 3 yrs ago it was a 0% humidity, but now at 15%. Don't think that will happen with any compressed air!

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Technically speaking you'd have to install the tire on the rim in vacuum to achieve
no oxygen or pump it all out later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back