Eneos 5W-20 VOA with TBN (JX Nippon Oil & Energy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MewbTpu.png

The less metallic compounds supposedly the cleaner the oil will keep the engine and pistons and CC combined with a high group basestock. Invisible DP = Mark of a premium low-saps oil. You'll see "cheap" oil loaded with the "old fashioned" Boron, Moly and Magnesium compounds which can foul aftertreatment devices and spark plugs with moderate oil consumption.
I cant view THIS report image, so I am just making a general oil formulation statement.

Here's the virgin sample of Eneos 5W/20. The main additives present are molybdenum, calcium, phosporus, and zinc. There's also some boron and other elements tossed in for good measure. Molybdenum, phosphorus, and zice are anti-wear additives, and boron and calcium are detergent/dispersant additives. The viscosity read right where it should for a 5W/20 oil, and the insolubles present are likely some additive that has fallen out of suspension (not all that uncommon). The TBN of this oil starts out at 6.7. Looks like a good oil to use!

Aluminum...............0
Chromium...............0
Iron...................0
Copper.................0
Lead...................0
Tin....................0
Molybdenum.............134
Nickel.................0
Manganese..............0
Silver.................0
Titanium...............0
Potassium..............0
Boron..................87
Silicon................2
Sodium.................1
Calcium................1689
Magnesium..............4
Phosphorus.............582
Zinc...................747
Barium.................0

SUS Viscosity @210 F...53.6....47-57
cSt Viscosity @100 C...8.36....6.4-9.7
Flashpoint in F........435.....>400
Fuel %................. Antifreeze %...........0.0.....0.0
Water %................0.0..... Insolubles %...........TR...... TBN....................6.7.....>1.0
TAN....................
ISO Code...............

Well that came out all weird. Typed it out in case the picture hosting site (eventually) goes down. What stood out about Eneos 5W-20 compared to Amsoil 5W-20 was that there was an unnoticeable amount of oil consumption, whereas with Amsoil I had to add anywhere from .25 to a full quart in between oil changes, depending on the relatively short OCI's (3,500 to 5,250 miles). Big difference compared to Eneos so that's why I'm here on BITOG. This low/no consumption with Eneos was consistent in multiple Mazda 3 2.3 liter models that I've owned. And I do drive them extremely hard (drag strip, canyon runs, daily stoplight battles on my commutes, etc).

I'm a newbie so I have a few questions about what ARCOgraphite said. What's "CC" stand for? What's "invisible DP"? What's a "low-saps oil"?

Originally Posted By: dparm
wildfrisco, are you planning to use this in your Mazda 3?

I've been running it for the last ~5 years, ever since I switched from Amsoil. I have my first UOA with over 100k hard miles on the engine, so I'll be posting the Blackstone results in the appropriate section.

Originally Posted By: wildfrisco
What's a "low-saps oil"?

Low sulfated ash, phosphorus-sulfur. It's related to the type of fuel the car gets.

I'll let the experts explain in more detail, but the short version is that different continents have different types of fuel and hence the oil requirements are a bit different.

Low-SAPs oils in conjunction with ULSG / ULSD are used to protect / prolong the life of newer emissions systems that themselves are needed to meet newer emissions targets.

In the euro world these are ACEA C3 oils (passenger cars).

Originally Posted By: wildfrisco
I'm a newbie so I have a few questions about what ARCOgraphite said. What's "CC" stand for? What's "invisible DP"? What's a "low-saps oil"?

CC = combustion chamber

^^^The 'regular' Eneos products are right on the shelf at some NAPAs, and if not, can be ordered through their Altrom supplier.

BUT, the Sustina level Eneos products (their ultra-premium/ultra-cost line) can ONLY be had online from certain retailers/sites with a six pack case as the absolute minimum.
frown.gif

I recently obtained access to a wholesale supplier who sells Eneos 5W-20 in the 6-gal wine boxes for a very good price. Their pricing for Eneos is a bit less than Quaker State Ultimate Durability from Walmart.

Usually, Mobil 1 has been my oil of choice, but I am willing to consider using Eneos for convenience and pricing reasons. My main concern is their lack of OEM certifications and I am not sure how good/advanced the formulation is compared to the major brands. Any thoughts?

It's got to be fairly common as a service fill and even a factory fill in Japan, you'd think. I suppose dexos1 and A5/B5 or the like aren't a high priority for them. I'd certainly consider using it if I had it readily available and at a good price. One would think that as specifications, particularly for Japanese vehicles, evolve, Eneos would throw them on. It is, after all, a very large company.

If I recall correctly, Eneos is the brand from JX Nippon Oil which in turn is part of the giant Mitsubishi/UFJ conglomerate. I don't see what is disappointing about the analysis. Eneos has a reputation for quality products.

Further research proves this correct.

http://www.eneos.us/about/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JX_Nippon_Oil_%26_Energy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back