re thinking job field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Boczech
You need to take care of that hand that has the infection because if you don't then who will ? The shop manager ? It is obvious how much he really does care. If you don't stand up for yourself then who will. Move on and if you can get in with Indy then so be it. Where one door closes a better one opens.

Good Luck...
10.gif

+1

Can you get out of the new car buy, since you cannot afford it?

I can afford the new car and never said I couldn't....but like most Americans I do have to work to afford things.......not many people can afford to not work...not sure how this is at all relevant though

Settle down, no need to go into jaw jacking mode.

The optimal situation would be to have a multi-month emergency fund so that when all this goes down, you don't have to be fearful or in a second guessing mode. You clearly said you don't want to lose your job, and that you can't afford to lose it; yet everyone here is saying the boss is in the wrong and you should take them to task.

What I'm seeing is a divorcee with two kids, alimony/child support, lodging, perhaps paying on two places, and a new car on payments.

And a job on the rocks because you're hurt and are afraid to stand up for what's right for fear of your job. Not, I'm sure, because you're inclined to jaw jack the boss, but rather because you're extended so thin that you have to work to keep your head above water.

Nobody's making fun of you or calling you the lesser person over any of that, understand that first.

But if fear and payments are clouding your judgement, you may do something not in your best interest from a health or care perspective.

Yes, I only ASSume your situation, but I suspect I'm pretty close. If not, great, but if you had everything lined up optimally, chances you could walk or at least stand up to the boss knowing that if you have to fight it, you can still keep everything straight.

We want what's best for you in the long run, and it's sometimes easier to see clearer from the outside looking in... And it sure seems like your boss put you in a bad and wrongful spot. But it also seems like you run the risk of not doing what is best for you and according to dr's orders if your judgement is clouded.

Good luck. Heed others' advice and use this as a life lesson.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
You need to take care of that hand that has the infection because if you don't then who will ? The shop manager ? It is obvious how much he really does care. If you don't stand up for yourself then who will. Move on and if you can get in with Indy then so be it. Where one door closes a better one opens.

Good Luck...
10.gif

+1

Can you get out of the new car buy, since you cannot afford it?

I can afford the new car and never said I couldn't....but like most Americans I do have to work to afford things.......not many people can afford to not work...not sure how this is at all relevant though

Settle down, no need to go into jaw jacking mode.

The optimal situation would be to have a multi-month emergency fund so that when all this goes down, you don't have to be fearful or in a second guessing mode. You clearly said you don't want to lose your job, and that you can't afford to lose it; yet everyone here is saying the boss is in the wrong and you should take them to task.

What I'm seeing is a divorcee with two kids, alimony/child support, lodging, perhaps paying on two places, and a new car on payments.

And a job on the rocks because you're hurt and are afraid to stand up for what's right for fear of your job. Not, I'm sure, because you're inclined to jaw jack the boss, but rather because you're extended so thin that you have to work to keep your head above water.

Nobody's making fun of you or calling you the lesser person over any of that, understand that first.

But if fear and payments are clouding your judgement, you may do something not in your best interest from a health or care perspective.

Yes, I only ASSume your situation, but I suspect I'm pretty close. If not, great, but if you had everything lined up optimally, chances you could walk or at least stand up to the boss knowing that if you have to fight it, you can still keep everything straight.

We want what's best for you in the long run, and it's sometimes easier to see clearer from the outside looking in... And it sure seems like your boss put you in a bad and wrongful spot. But it also seems like you run the risk of not doing what is best for you and according to dr's orders if your judgement is clouded.

Good luck. Heed others' advice and use this as a life lesson.

There's no child support and the car payment is about what I was averaging on the Saturn every month.
Job isn't on the rocks they just don't care about their employees. I do need to start looking for a new job in light of this though. And I'm not at all mad at anyone everything that's been said on here is true and good advice. I don't want to lose my job but tomorrow I am going to request the worker's comp form and I am going to request a meeting with the owner. It's a small business so no hr. But I do want them to know I'm not going tool be walked on. I do have a savings to fall on but it's not enough to where I'm comfortable. I had to dip into it for the Saturn's nonsense a couple times.

I was in the same boat. I don't want to get into all the gory details, but getting a lawyer was step one. Went on WC, came back, missed time, got canned, sued them, won a lot of money.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
In my youth our hockey teams trainer would use it on gashes and cuts and so on to stop the bleeding and bond the skin. Works beautifully and reduces scarring vs stitches.

I also have and if necessary would use it again for this purpose.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: abycat
It's infected cause told you too put super glue on it. Bad choice of first aid. I'd sue the [censored] out of him. He obviously doesn't care about you and should learn a lesson.

You don't know what your talking about. Super glue is non toxic. In my youth our hockey teams trainer would use it on gashes and cuts and so on to stop the bleeding and bond the skin.
Works beautifully and reduces scarring vs stitches.

As far as the infection goes getting gashed up with likely filthy hands and a dirty work environment may have been a factor.
None the less ram man although I do understand your supervisors point about working while injured because I'm a contractor so I don't qualify for comp or unemployment insurance so I gotta be at work no matter what,but that's a decision I made and no way would I expect an employee to come to work injured.
If they wanted light duty then I'd find them something to do so they still got a paycheque coming in.
And if the injury required time off then take the time off, especially since a dr told you too. File a claim. You only get one body to last you a lifetime. When the parts wear out the replacements aren't near as good as oem.
As a business owner I pay big bucks into workers comp and if an at work injury occurs I expect the employee to take care of themselves.
No job is worth potentially incurring permanent damage.

bro google it. it is not something that belongs in a first aid kit. And not to be put on an open wound. Trust me.

The kind of glue used in emergency rooms is called Cyanoacrylate which is skin glue. There is a difference between these glues so don't get them confused eh.

B

Yeah if this happened at work, your employers workers comp insurance should have covered the bill. Not you.

If they keep screwing with you, go out on FMLA leave.

From the govt FMLA website:
These employers must provide an eligible employee with up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave each year for any of the following reasons:

for the birth and care of the newborn child of an employee;
for placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care;
to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.

Your finger is a serious health condition. If it gets worse you can get sepsis, a life-threatening condition, could lose your finger or arm to gangrene, etc. Don't let your health go downhill for a job.

There's no child support and the car payment is about what I was averaging on the Saturn every month.
Job isn't on the rocks they just don't care about their employees. I do need to start looking for a new job in light of this though. And I'm not at all mad at anyone everything that's been said on here is true and good advice. I don't want to lose my job but tomorrow I am going to request the worker's comp form and I am going to request a meeting with the owner. It's a small business so no hr. But I do want them to know I'm not going tool be walked on. I do have a savings to fall on but it's not enough to where I'm comfortable. I had to dip into it for the Saturn's nonsense a couple times.

Yes, talking with the owner is a good idea. If the owner is smart, they will take this much more seriously than your service manager is taking it. The owner should know that workers comp is nothing to mess around with.

If I were the owner, that service manager would be looking for a new job because his actions are illegal and could cost me the entire business.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Yes, talking with the owner is a good idea. If the owner is smart, they will take this much more seriously than your service manager is taking it. The owner should know that workers comp is nothing to mess around with.

If I were the owner, that service manager would be looking for a new job because his actions are illegal and could cost me the entire business.

+1. Good approach. Hopefully the owner will be willing to schedule time. And if the owner is apathetic then you really know about moving on fast.

Good luck and keep us posted. And dont ignore dr's orders!

I think you are doing well for having a baby that early in life(major strike) and apparently no parental support. You have a decent paying job and a home likely with minimal interest rate/low purchase pricing.

The divorce is no surprise, you'll look back and understand that 18-30 is you(spouse) figuring yourself out.

These thoughts are normal for a person in 20-30 range. However the difference is you have lots of baggage already.

Night school is a good move.

Are you still in Arkansas?

The claim form to open a claim is A-8.

Workers Compensation is your exclusive remedy against the employer.

The statute of limitation is two years.

Your medical expenses for the cut will be paid.

No compensation is paid the first week; after that it is two thirds of your weekly wage until you are cleared for work.

You can't be fired for filing a claim, but you can be fired for unrelated reasons.

I know two auto mechanics who got MRSA, and both worked in Auto repair type jobs.

Both often had open wounds and did not keep them clean.

Do not let a shop manager put super glue on your finger to close up a dirty wound.

You may need antibiotics, and a proper cleaning at a hospital.

I went to the doctor today for a deep cut I received on my finger about a week ago. It happened at work and wouldn't stop bleeding the manager said put some super glue on it to stop the bleeding. No biggie. Well as of three days ago it has become swollen tender as all [censored] and now the pain is throughout my hand.

As you make a living with your hands, you can't ignore any cuts period. I've suffered many cuts over time doing my own wrenching too.

Next time you get cut, you need to take care of it ASAP. First, you need to clean the cut using detergent & water & a fine, clean plastic nail brush to get rid of any grease, coolant, grunge, rust, brake dusk, etc on your hands. Then apply pressure with a clean pad and hold your hand over your head at least a minute, maybe longer. If after that, it's still bleeding, apply pressure again and lift your hand over your head.

When the bleeding stops, dip two q-tips into a bottle of iodine (or isopropyl alcohol if you're alergic to iodine) and scrub the cut for at least 30 sec. to disinfect it. Wipe off the iodine with a clean towel, then apply a touch of triple antibiotic to the area. Then apply a 3M watertight band-aid. To keep the BA in place and keep it clean, apply a few wraps of the stretchy bandage that adheres to itself. I can't remember the official name. This stuff will still allow you to bend your fingers unlike the more rigid tapes.

When you get home, remove and redo if necessary. Before bed, remove the bandage and apply a new, thin coat of triple antiB and leave the bandage off while sleeping so air can get to it. It'll look much better the next day because you nipped any risk of infection in-the-bud and healing has already begun.

You may want to apply tough athletic tape to your finger tips and other strategic places to prevent cuts. You can still wear gloves over tape if you use them.

The point is: Take care of your paws! You earn a living with them! Just like surgeons do. Except yours are in a nasty environment everyday. As you've learned, cuts can quickly go bad and get infected if not immediately taken care of.

WOW, you sure can type well for someone with one incapacitated hand! Excellent spelling and punctuation, it must have taken you an hour to hunt and peck this paragraph with one finger on your good hand.
smirk.gif

To everyone else that responded in this thread------
hooked.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

WOW, you sure can type well for someone with one incapacitated hand! Excellent spelling and punctuation, it must have taken you an hour to hunt and peck this paragraph with one finger on your good hand.
smirk.gif

hooked.gif

So just because someone has a cut on their hand means they can't type? I'm typing this on my phone with one finger using my right hand, and I'm left handed. No problem.

hooked.gif

You included right?
thumbsup2.gif

smirk.gif

hooked.gif

where do you live? I can literally speak everything into the phone and voice recognition will type it out almost perfectly, either your really old and are not tech savy or definitely disconnected from this world.

I really hope you can get the law on your side.

I'm half glad to suffer disability enough to be out of the car business. Dishonest salesmen, unmaintained safety devices, excessively rushed work, illegal disposal of hazardous chemicals, and other things really made me angry.

Just like in your situation, I was afraid of losing income for an extended period of time if I made some kind of report.

I once heard of something that happened to someone who did tell OSHA that a safety violation was committed. That person wasn't fired for reporting the violation, instead the company looked up anything bad in his records, and he was fired for being late to work over a year before OSHA was notified.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

hooked.gif

You included right?
thumbsup2.gif

Well, I didn't respond to the OP's original post so no.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

smirk.gif

hooked.gif

So just because someone has a cut on their hand means they can't type? I'm typing this on my phone with one finger using my right hand, and I'm left handed. No problem.

Well, since the OP stated that the pain was more than tolerable one would figure that the hand was only useful for necessary tasks. Or all of this was a great exaggeration and it should just be viewed as entertainment.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It does not matter if your manger lost his head and reattached it, minutes later induced labor on himself thus being the first and only human male to bare and bore a child then tore down a transmission and rebuilt it in 20 minutes while walking uphill in snow both ways.

I almost died at that, despite knowing this is not a laughing matter.

To the OP:
like many others have already said, your boss seems to be almost inhuman. If your infection spreads to your lower arm and you get some crazy arse MRSA or similar infection, it might get a lot worse.
Others have given good advice. Follow them AND your doctor's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back