What do all of you think of Mercedes-Benz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Two cars changed all of this; the LS400 and the NSX.

+1

I like Trav views, why turn the guy off from thread with something he clearly despises?

This is breaking down to childish.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Other than the parts Nazi aspect to it

33.gif
I wish someone would add that word to the censor!

Trav,

Why?

The general term "Nazi" has become popular vernacular in modern American culture, through such events such as Seinfeld's "soup Nazi" TV episode -- and if anyone would have been offended by the word, it would have been Jerome Seinfeld. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soup_Nazi . It's even been ba$tardized in popular political parlance on broadcast radio (feminazis to one radio talk host). I don't see the FCC stepping in to play PC police on it. There's no need for it here, either.

I can't even write the last paragraph without the PC filter taking out perfectly acceptable polite English words [ba$tardized was actually censored with the "s" added, what's so offensive about that?]. It's overboard already.

We all know what real fascism and the Nazi Party actually stood (& stands) for, which is not a jocularization of on overly officious or rigid minion or process. I know I can separate the evil from the jocular meanings. Most of us here are intelligent adults.

Again, let's not go overly PC about popularly jocularized terms. Everyone knew exactly what I meant by it.

Nothing personal if you want to use it go ahead but we cant have a conversation when you do.
I know Americans like to call anything they find too correct like Nazi this that and the other e.g spelling Nazi. I know the difference and still have no time for it.

c02d2fb833113a985dba2a8ea7cc2b29.jpg

mercedes.jpg

History, Hitler was a big Mercedes enthusiast and the company did well as a result. As did Ferdinand Porsche, and Auto Union.

Great art deco advertising.

Most of the big pre war Mercedes had some very notorious owners; although I think in terms of body count no car has ever topped the 600 big's list.

Last edited:
C'mon, let's talk a bout cars. There should be another forum for history buffs, semantics pedants and Leni Riefenstahl Fun Club (I am one of them)

Hey i have no problem with history and the history of MB during the NSDAP years.
Hitler and a bunch of them loved MB cars.
We can talk about Nazi's and Nazi philosophy all day and it doesn't bother me a bit, i like it as history and have a lot of stuff that era including Hitlers and Himmler's signature on a few items.

What i don't care for is posters throwing the term Nazi around loosely for no reason.

Last edited:
. . . i like it as history and have a lot of stuff that era including Hitlers and Himmler's signature on a few items.

What i don't care for is posters throwing the term Nazi around loosely for no reason.

No offense Trav (actually I am), but pot, meet kettle.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

History, Hitler was a big Mercedes enthusiast and the company did well as a result. As did Ferdinand Porsche, and Auto Union.

Great art deco advertising.

Most of the big pre war Mercedes had some very notorious owners; although I think in terms of body count no car has ever topped the 600 big's list.

Before this thread gets locked down (as it has severely veered off topic), just a couple balancing facts:

GM profited enormously from both sides during WWII. They owned Opel, which was a major German munitions maker during the re-militarization. And we all know what they contributed to the US effort. Alfred Sloan liked money over everything else.

Henry Ford was a notorious anti-Semite, was a conspicuous idol to the early Nazi founders, both for his views and his manufacturing prowess, and was awarded a medal by them.

So there was plenty of dirty play on both sides.

But enough of this. I was really just talking about today's Mercedes-Benz.

Trav, I'm sorry you're so hyper-sensitive about one word. But all the rest was not in my original comments, nor did I take the conversation there.

Useless discussion over an uncensored word. I came here to read opinions about the Mercedes brand and was disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back