Something interesting, 84 Civic / Red line oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just overhauled my 84 Civic and have been looking for a new auxiliary valve rocker arm for the rear cylinder but have not been able to find one, yet. It makes a slight ticking noise that you can change in pitch by pressing on the rocker while the engine is idling. Today I changed the oil. Previous oil was 5w-30 PP and to use up my stash I used 0w-30 Red Line this time. The ticking noise is now very difficult to hear now and at times you can't hear it at all. I was surprised that an oil would make that much of a difference. I've heard people say their engine runs smoother with a certain oil but have never experienced such a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redline oils tend to be on the thicker end of the grade and use little to no viscosity index improvers which may help too.
If I could afford it I'd use nothing but redline fluids exclusively. They are probably overkill in anything but severe service/racing/mudding and trails etc.

Their gear oils are amazing.

I have noticed this with certain oils! I have my favorites for this extra level of "quite & smoothness" alone!
smile.gif

Ester based oils have this effect. They are polar and "build up" more on parts.

For example, I recently split two identical gearboxes, one filled with mineral oil and the filled with ester gear oil.

The latter box had a noticeably thicker, visible layer of oil on all the parts that remained well after disassembly whereas the mineral (grII+III?) coated parts quickly dried off.

Then on top of the superior base oil, you have Redline's heavy handed approach to FM too
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
FM?

Friction Modifiers

Reline 0w30 is only listed at 3.2 HTHS, not really that much heavier than PP 5w30 which should be at least 2.9. Last TDS I have it listed on was 3.0.

You don't think an HTHS of 3.2 is "good enough"? One could always go to their 5w-30 for an HTHS of 3.7 if that would make any difference.

Originally Posted By: cp3
FM?

Friction Modifiers

Reline 0w30 is only listed at 3.2 HTHS, not really that much heavier than PP 5w30 which should be at least 2.9. Last TDS I have it listed on was 3.0.

According to the figures you listed this is nearly a 10% difference this is quite a bit. Especially considering the hairsplitting done around here.

Maybe Red Line users will be able to struggle by with the given HTHS numbers. They'll probably do okay. I'm fine with the numbers.

I'm surprised that there is no way to get a lash adjusting screw and locknut, fit a bronze bushing through the center of the rocker arm, and resurface the part that touches the cam.

Unfortunately, I don't know what that all would cost, and what the cost/benefit analysis is.

You don't think an HTHS of 3.2 is "good enough"? One could always go to their 5w-30 for an HTHS of 3.7 if that would make any difference.

Good enough for a freshly overhauled engine? Personally, I would think so. By only I was referring to the difference to PP which yes is almost 10%, a large margin here but I'm over the hair splitting. I'm just not sure that 10% would make a big audible difference with a wonky rocker....maybe. Maybe a combination of jrustles idea and the heavier oil in combination....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back