07 Volvo s40 sealed tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought our youngest daughter an 07 S40 with 70000 miles on it. Mileage is around 140000 now and she's about to graduate nursing school and will need reliable tansportation ( not a car payment ) for a few yrs. I've had some service work done at the dealership but they are adamant about not changing the trans fluid ( lifetime fluid ). Will do it if I sign a waiver. Couple of the local shops won't do it either. I think this is nuts, and had no idea really when I bought the car. Anyhow a drain & fill is something I can do & am planning to do it myself this week. JWS3309 is fluid spec'd for this transmission. Question I have is given the mileage should I do 3 D&F's back to back or do one and give it some time in between ? Also saw Maxlife syn at $4.27/qt at walmart. Thoughts ? I'd appreciate any experienced opinions. Thanks

I prefer doing one drain and fill, and then giving some time in between to let the fluid mix. I know it's not needed, but my last two drain and fills had 3k-5k miles in between them. Not that I planned it that way, but because that's how my timing worked out.

I'm now just planning on doing it annually.

My preferred replacement for 3309 is Castrol IMV. 3 or 4 drain-and-fills will get that transmission in good shape. Save the money and do it yourself!

Sealed for life is a marketing phrase.

I'd tell you to seek out a reputable shop that works on
European cars but in LA....I bet you can't find any...err many. LOL

Like sicko said, do one initial drain and fill and give the fluid some time to GENTLY clean whatever buildup might have been in there.

I'd stick with the Mobil JWS 3309 fluid. It is cheap through Amazon and convenient as well. Castrol Import multi vehicle is the only other one I would trust in it .

I would NOT use synthetic fluid, the unit was not designed to for it.

Last edited:
Thanks all, will probably go with Mobil JWS3309 - will pickup 3 qts locally to get started and buy the case from Amazon.
OneeyeJack, yes I googled the question and saw some discussion threads on swedespeed.
Michaelluscher, not sure about a filter.
Sicko, I'll do this in a similar fashion - give the first D&F a little time before the next.
Regards

Any of the full synthetic universal ATFs that mentions T-IV or 3309 can be used.

I would do 4 drain/refills with a 10 minute drive in between each drain/refill. Then, 1 drain/refill every year.

Dont forget to bleed the brakes, change the antifreeze, siphon/refill the PSF...

Did one D&F last week, fluid was brown and didn't smell too bad. Wil do 3 more next week. The car probably has original brake & P/S fluid, everything else has been changed.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back