Toyota has massive profits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, General Motors MADE money April to June? That's kinda amazing given their massive recalls.

Glad to see Toyota is doing well. Kudos to Ford as well, they really have turned around.

Just another year for Toyota. There's a good read about Toyota. The book is called something like the "Toyota way" and explains a lot about their success and business methods.

So where are they skimping, R&D, materials quality, labor?

It's nice to have brand equity.

Just another year for Toyota. There's a good read about Toyota. The book is called something like the "Toyota way" and explains a lot about their success and business methods.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

MIT did a book called the machine that changed the world about Toyota and lean production. Nowdays, though, all manufacturers subscribe pretty heavily tho those. Still, it teaches you that Toyota didn't set out to make reliable cars. The least expensive way to make a car was to design one unlikely to fail to save money on quality control and for faster assembly. At the time of the book Mercedes spent more time doing quality control per vehicle than Lexus did making one. It's a good read, though Bob Lutz writes pretty good books about that era as well.

As to the profits, keep in mind that the automotive industry still isn't a very high profit margin industry. They have a lot of profits because they have a lot of revenue. They have a lot of revenue because they are huge.

I haven't read yet. I suspect there may have been some pent up demand for Toyota. Also, with all the other recalls recently, some sales for Ford, DC, GM may have moved to the Toyota stores.

I'll now read the article to see if any of that is borne out
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

What's so ironic about all of this is that just four years ago Toyota was the whipping boy for auto manufacturers regarding their massive recalls (small compared to today's G.M.).

Just this spring they settled their recall investigation with some revelations that we seem to accept as normal now a days?: http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota-sett...or-three-years/

"The Department of Justice, citing several [censored] emails and documents circulated internally, said the company limited the initial 2009 recall to eight vehicles despite knowing that additional cars were affected and that it instructed its pedal supplier “orally” to make redesigned pedal parts “without a paper trail” in order to “hide the problem from NHTSA and the public.” ............... In many cases, internal documents detailing the pedal and floor mat problems were either ignored by senior management or withheld from the NHTSA. One Toyota employee, after leaving a presentation to the NHTSA in January 2010, reportedly said “Idiots! Someone will go to jail if lies are repeatedly told. I can’t support this.”"

Every member of my immediate family's first toyota was their last......Primarily because they are all still on the road (including my brothers 95 camry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back