Adding Mos2 in a BMW N54 engine with DI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan

Ummm, if you search, you will see that I *did* use it. And it left me extremely unimpressed. So much for your statement.

Use whatever reason you need to justify using something that you said that an engine doesn't need.

In the meantime, can you explain just what fully formulated modern engine oil is missing that would compel you to use an additive that an engine doesn't need, per your earlier statement?

Then can you explain just what using said additive do to the balanced chemistry in the motor oil?

Read the rest of my post Trajan.
So you didn't like it. Fine, then don't use it. That doesn't mean that it does nothing, or compromises motor oil chemistry, or causes damage to an engine.
If you can prove otherwise, I'm looking for concrete evidence to support what you are claiming, FACTS, not speculation or personal opinion!

Then can you explain just what using said additive do to the balanced chemistry in the motor oil?

Funny question about a substance which is inert. Oil doesn't need MoS², MoS² needs oil to carry it to friction surfaces.

Originally Posted By: wag123
We're talking about a N54 engine and pouring something into it that it doesn't need. And as stated above by someone demarpaint is afraid to confront, (I think it's useless too, but he can't help himself and cry about it because I said it.)

"No one is going to convince me that MoS2 will improve synthetic oils that meet manufacturer spec. There is zero evidence it helps this oil do anything better."

"IMHO This stuff is the mechanical braking system of oil additives, its day has come and long gone but for a few die hards who are unwilling to accept that time has moved on and oil technology has also."

I happen to agree with that.

Does an engine NEED MoS2? No. But, that doesn't make the product useless.
It is your OPINION (based purely on conjecture, as far as I can tell) that MoS2 doesn't do what they say it does. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a personal opinion does not make it a fact.
It is MY opinion (based on concrete scientific evidence, long term experience, and a documented improvement in efficiency) that MoS2 DOES reduce friction in an engine.
You wanted me to provide you with concrete evidence that MoS2 does what they say it does. I did.
I asked YOU to provide US with concrete evidence to back up your contention that MoS2 does NOT do what they say it does. You haven't, we're still waiting.
You are obviously an MoS2 and oil additive (in general) hater. Nobody is going to convince you otherwise, you have made that fact VERY clear. So then, why are you posting ANYTHING in the oil additive section, in particular, why are you denigrating a product that you have never personally used and have absolutely NO experience with?

If an engine doesn't need it, then why add it?

That isn't just my opinion. Read and find out who said it before me.

And of course you can *prove* I've had no experience with it?

If you had actually used it yourself, I don't think that you would badmouth it like you do Trajan.
ALL I hear from the MoS2 haters are PERSONAL OPINIONS. The ONLY fact that any of you are expressing is that nobody HAS to use it. It is a valid point and I don't have an argument with this. What I DO have an argument with is when someone badmouths a good well-known and widely used product from a reputable company that has been on the market for MANY years and does what they say it does (a proven fact), and the detractors can't provide ANY evidence to back up their negative comments.
I'm still waiting for you (or any of the other MoS2 haters reading this) to provide concrete evidence to back up your/their personal opinion that MoS2 doesn't do what they say it does, or, provide concrete evidence that using it actually harmed an engine (even ONE documented case). This should be VERY easy for someone to do if any evidence actually exists given the fact that this product has been on the market since the 1970s.
Now, I'm going to provide you MoS2 haters with another fact, it is a well documented fact that MoS2 reduces friction to the point where using it in a manual transmission, a limited-slip differential, or a motorcycle with a wet clutch will cause MAJOR problems with their operation because each of them NEEDS some friction to operate properly.
You don't have to like it or use it yourself or recommend it, you can even recommend that someone NOT use it, but NOBODY can rightfully say that it does nothing, that is simply a false statement. Also, nobody can rightfully say that it WILL damage your engine, that is also a false statement.

I don't remember anyone saying it doesn't work! It works. The point is there are new additives being used that perform the same role possibly better without using a solid.
You can use it in motorcycle wet clutches at a rate of 2%, there are some automotive oils that will also cause a MC wet clutch to slip. MC oil is a slightly different formulation because of this.

I used it over 21 years and had an issue in an engine that sat a long time with it falling out.
Because something doesn't cause any harm doesn't equal it is doing some good either, all additive makers take this into account when they recommend dosage.
The know the oil can hold up to something in small quantities even raw fuel or kerosene without much harm.

Years ago i would be on the other side of this but modern engine oils have become so good that unless you need to address a specific problem caused by neglect or in an older engine with issues OTC additives are all but useless.

I was in a parts store today and looked at the additive section, good lord its 20 feet of nothing but stuff to put in the engine, trans, radiator, PS, you name it they have it all covered.
I can only imagine how much money is being made on this stuff.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch

Funny question about a substance which is inert. Oil doesn't need MoS², MoS² needs oil to carry it to friction surfaces.

Fully formulated motor oil doesn't need MoS2 at all.

Ummm, if you search, you will see that I *did* use it. And it left me extremely unimpressed. So much for your statement.

Use whatever reason you need to justify using something that you said that an engine doesn't need.

In the meantime, can you explain just what fully formulated modern engine oil is missing that would compel you to use an additive that an engine doesn't need, per your earlier statement?

Read the rest of my post Trajan.
So you didn't like it. Fine, then don't use it. That doesn't mean that it does nothing, or compromises motor oil chemistry, or causes damage to an engine.
If you can prove otherwise, I'm looking for concrete evidence to support what you are claiming, FACTS, not speculation or personal opinion!

Deal with it.
Originally Posted By: Trav

No one is going to convince me that MoS2 will improve synthetic oils that meet manufacturer spec. There is zero evidence it helps this oil do anything better.
Why did VW recommend its use but no longer does? Why was it sold at MB dealers back in the early 80's for diesels but no longer? Molykote even calls theirs a gear lube now, which is probably one of the applications it does well along with greases.

IMHO This stuff is the mechanical braking system of oil additives, its day has come and long gone but for a few die hards who are unwilling to accept that time has moved on and oil technology has also.

I cant be bothered posting any more after this in this thread, its going nowhere.
I have the feeling if LM put out a paper saying you dont need this in a full synthetic oil the fan club would have a explanation as to why you do and why they would say such a thing.

So show us the facts that this moS2 does what you claim.

Last edited:
So show us the facts that this moS2 does what you claim.

I already did. The white papers are right here on BITOG.
I'm waiting for YOU to prove otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back