Adding Mos2 in a BMW N54 engine with DI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I get from this thread:
MOS2......
Help, probably
is it needed, no
does it hurt, maybe
help mpg, sometimes
is it snake oil, no
past history, good
current viability, questionable
nay sayers, yes
fans, yes

Originally Posted By: dennishiip
MOS2......
Help, probably
is it needed, no
does it hurt, maybe
help mpg, sometimes
is it snake oil, no
past history, good
nay sayers, yes
fans, yes

I got a freakin headache.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have seen enough and read enough. I think i have presented enough information to at least make someone question if they really want to use this stuff or not.

If you want to use it have at it, i could care less. Your engine your money but i would never recommend this stuff or any other solid lubricant to anyone.
Does Bugatti use MoS2 in their spec? No! I would think they would want a little extra protection in a 1.7 million dollar car right?

Naw they use some cheap swill. blended to a price point.
crazy2.gif

Nothing on that car is built to a price point why wouldn't they spec MoS2 if its so great and improves any oil?
Weasel out of that, you will with some utter nonsense. And with that i drop this thread.

Tough to fight that logic. It is a product intended for long term use @ every oci if my memory serves me right. The comments about the needle bearings you made scares me. If it was something designed for a special purpose to solve a problem, one maybe two time use, works with any oil, no problem. That's if it has a good rep here too.

If I was going to use it again in a new engine I'd really do more homework.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Trajan
We're talking about a N54 engine and pouring something into it that it doesn't need. And as stated above by someone demarpaint is afraid to confront, (I think it's useless too, but he can't help himself and cry about it because I said it.)

"No one is going to convince me that MoS2 will improve synthetic oils that meet manufacturer spec. There is zero evidence it helps this oil do anything better."

"IMHO This stuff is the mechanical braking system of oil additives, its day has come and long gone but for a few die hards who are unwilling to accept that time has moved on and oil technology has also."

I happen to agree with that.

Does an engine NEED MoS2? No. But, that doesn't make the product useless.
It is your OPINION (based purely on conjecture, as far as I can tell) that MoS2 doesn't do what they say it does. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a personal opinion does not make it a fact.
It is MY opinion (based on concrete scientific evidence, long term experience, and a documented improvement in efficiency) that MoS2 DOES reduce friction in an engine.
You wanted me to provide you with concrete evidence that MoS2 does what they say it does. I did.
I asked YOU to provide US with concrete evidence to back up your contention that MoS2 does NOT do what they say it does. You haven't, we're still waiting.
You are obviously an MoS2 and oil additive (in general) hater. Nobody is going to convince you otherwise, you have made that fact VERY clear. So then, why are you posting ANYTHING in the oil additive section, in particular, why are you denigrating a product that you have never personally used and have absolutely NO experience with?

If an engine doesn't need it, then why add it?

That isn't just my opinion. Read and find out who said it before me.

And of course you can *prove* I've had no experience with it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

MoS2 is supposed to be a friction reducer, MMO is supposed to be a cleaner.

I would not use both at the same time. In fact, I would not use either of them.

As this is from someone who *really* knows what he is talking about, it's good enough for me.

MoS2 is supposed to be a friction reducer, MMO is supposed to be a cleaner.
I would not use both at the same time. In fact, I would not use either of them.

As this is from someone who *really* knows what he is talking about, it's good enough for me.

"Really" knows? I am glad you put "really" in quotations. No, this is from someone who starts every additive question from the position that all additives are bad and unnecessary (except for the ones he personally likes), that the big oil and chemical companies know best and consumers know nothing, and he wraps up his unsupported arguments in the jargon of science. But, when it comes to MoS2, neither he (nor you) have cited a single study or report or anything else detracting from its effectiveness.

"Supposed to be a friction reducer?" No, MoS2 is a friction reducer. Ask Liqui-Moly, or Volkswagen or Dow-Corning. In fact, there are currently no clear lubrication alternatives to molybdenum disulfide or the very similar tungsten disulfide that can resist temperatures higher than 350°C.

That's not to suggest that you "need" MoS2. If you believe that the question is "need it or not need it?", you could easily determine that you don't need it. You don't need to drive a BMW. You don't need to visit the ocean in the summer. You don't need a lot of things.

If the question is "is it beneficial?" you should reach the opposite result, or at least, most of the industrial and scientific world has decided it is beneficial. But, what do they know?

You don't need to search far and wide for information on MoS2 or do original research to determine MoS2's benefits. Start by reading the white papers here on BITOG. Or look on SAE.ORG - there has been a ton of research on MoS2 - hardly surprising for a material that is in such widespread industrial use.

But, it turns your oil black.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
"Really" knows? I am glad you put "really" in quotations.

I am glad you know the difference between a double quotation mark and an asterisk.

No, this is from someone who starts every additive question from the position that all additives are bad and unnecessary (except for the ones he personally likes)

"He dislikes everything... except what he likes!" Seriously, what's that all about??
crazy2.gif

"Supposed to be a friction reducer?" No, MoS2 is a friction reducer.

Teflon is a "friction reducer," too. As is water.

Water-lubricated Teflon-coated engines for everyone!

No one has answered this question, they either skate around it or ignore it. IMO it is certainly worth pondering.

The Bugatti Veyron cost 1.7 million dollars and VW looses millions on every car so i think we can all agree that this car is not built to a price point by the bean counters.

http://dev.emcelettronica.com/hacking-car-security-system-and-remote-keyless-entry-rke

VW did at one time recommend MoS2 and even sold a packaged product for engines and gearboxes.
VW now builds this multi million dollar car and even though that had used MoS2 in the past now does not recommend it or use it in their corporate flagship.

With a 1,000+ HP W16 quad turbo engine it would make sense they want the best possible lube, they use a IIRC system with 10w60 oil changed every 3 or 5K i don't remember.
It doesn't matter the point is it is clear they are not skimping on lube.

If MoS2 provides anything at all in the form of extra protection to the modern synthetic oil they chose with no drawbacks or potential issues and given the fact they did recommend it years ago why not now in this no holds barred car?

This is a fair and reasonable question!

BTW this is the Veyron engine oil. Castrol 10w60

http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/20509005cp.shtml

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Comparing MoS² to water or teflon tells more about the speaker than a lubricant itself I guess.

Actually, if you knew d00df00d, or more to the point his posting history, you'd know where he's coming from.

He's a smart guy.

Quote:
If MoS2 provides anything at all in the form of extra protection to the modern synthetic oil they chose with no drawbacks or potential issues and given the fact they did recommend it years ago why not now in this no holds barred car?

I think it obvious that they no longer need extraneous additives because the new Castrol formulation provides sufficient film strength, anti-wear, and friction modification that this engine needs.

Castrol and BMW have been working together since 1999. They co-engineer lubricants to match BMW's latest engine technology.

That will change on 1/1/2015. Then it will be Shell Oil doing it.

Originally Posted By: dennishiip
MOS2......
Help, probably
is it needed, no
does it hurt, maybe
help mpg, sometimes
is it snake oil, no
past history, good
nay sayers, yes
fans, yes

Which begs the question what is the value of Mos2?
The only clear value I find it satisfies a need for some consumers have. Which is the need to "control" some people just have to have control something and adding a additive to their oil fulfills this need.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Which begs the question what is the value of Mos2?
The only clear value I find it satisfies a need for some consumers have. Which is the need to "control" some people just have to have control something and adding a additive to their oil fulfills this need.

Good point.

I am in Control
50.gif
and not the oil company.

Quote:
"Really" knows? I am glad you put "really" in quotations. No, this is from someone who starts every additive question from the position that all additives are bad and unnecessary (except for the ones he personally likes), that the big oil and chemical companies know best and consumers know nothing, and he wraps up his unsupported arguments in the jargon of science. But, when it comes to MoS2, neither he (nor you) have cited a single study or report or anything else detracting from its effectiveness.

That is an outright distortion of what was actually stated.

If you don't want to learn the language of science, then that is you personal problem, but don't discourage others who may want to learn.

Below is the actual statement regarding MoS2:

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sounds Molakule you think Mos2 is useless?

Moly is useful in formulated products.

MoS2 powders are good for high load grease applications.

Soluble MoDTP is good for formulated Gear oils.

Soluble MoDTC is a good friction modifier in formulated motor oils.

I don't think it is necessary to add extra moly, whatever form, since it is already contained in most formulated products.

In motors oils where moly is not present, other friction modifiers have been incorporated.

Last edited:
We're talking about a N54 engine and pouring something into it that it doesn't need. And as stated above by someone demarpaint is afraid to confront, (I think it's useless too, but he can't help himself and cry about it because I said it.)

"No one is going to convince me that MoS2 will improve synthetic oils that meet manufacturer spec. There is zero evidence it helps this oil do anything better."

"IMHO This stuff is the mechanical braking system of oil additives, its day has come and long gone but for a few die hards who are unwilling to accept that time has moved on and oil technology has also."

It is your OPINION (based purely on conjecture, as far as I can tell) that MoS2 doesn't do what they say it does. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a personal opinion does not make it a fact.
It is MY opinion (based on concrete scientific evidence, long term experience, and a documented improvement in efficiency) that MoS2 DOES reduce friction in an engine.
You wanted me to provide you with concrete evidence that MoS2 does what they say it does. I did.
I asked YOU to provide US with concrete evidence to back up your contention that MoS2 does NOT do what they say it does. You haven't, we're still waiting.
You are obviously an MoS2 and oil additive (in general) hater. Nobody is going to convince you otherwise, you have made that fact VERY clear. So then, why are you posting ANYTHING in the oil additive section, in particular, why are you denigrating a product that you have never personally used and have absolutely NO experience with?

If you had actually used it yourself, I don't think that you would badmouth it like you do Trajan.
ALL I hear from the MoS2 haters are PERSONAL OPINIONS. The ONLY fact that any of you are expressing is that nobody HAS to use it. It is a valid point and I don't have an argument with this. What I DO have an argument with is when someone badmouths a good well-known and widely used product from a reputable company that has been on the market for MANY years and does what they say it does (a proven fact), and the detractors can't provide ANY evidence to back up their negative comments.
I'm still waiting for you (or any of the other MoS2 haters reading this) to provide concrete evidence to back up your/their personal opinion that MoS2 doesn't do what they say it does, or, provide concrete evidence that using it actually harmed an engine (even ONE documented case). This should be VERY easy for someone to do if any evidence actually exists given the fact that this product has been on the market since the 1970s.
Now, I'm going to provide you MoS2 haters with another fact, it is a well documented fact that MoS2 reduces friction to the point where using it in a manual transmission, a limited-slip differential, or a motorcycle with a wet clutch will cause MAJOR problems with their operation because each of them NEEDS some friction to operate properly.
You don't have to like it or use it yourself or recommend it, you can even recommend that someone NOT use it, but NOBODY can rightfully say that it does nothing, that is simply a false statement. Also, nobody can rightfully say that it WILL damage your engine, that is also a false statement.

Last edited:
Quote:

I think it obvious that they no longer need extraneous additives because the new Castrol formulation provides sufficient film strength, anti-wear, and friction modification that this engine needs.

Thats the only answer that makes any sense to me, it sounds perfectly logical and reasonable.
I might not be a rocket scientist but come one whats another $25 to this cars OC to save the engine in case the oil pump fail? LOL
It also only makes sense that they are using something different and better in the oil for that particular task.

If you had actually used it yourself, I don't think that you would badmouth it like you do Trajan.

Ummm, if you search, you will see that I *did* use it. And it left me extremely unimpressed. So much for your statement.

Use whatever reason you need to justify using something that you said that an engine doesn't need.

In the meantime, can you explain just what fully formulated modern engine oil is missing that would compel you to use an additive that an engine doesn't need, per your earlier statement?

Then can you explain just what using said additive do to the balanced chemistry in the motor oil?

Last edited:
You don't have to like it or use it yourself or recommend it, you can even recommend that someone NOT use it, but NOBODY can rightfully say that it does nothing, that is simply a false statement. Also, nobody can rightfully say that it WILL damage your engine, that is also a false statement.

Well that needle bearing issue might be somewhat legit, I wouldn't use it with them without more information and guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back