Filter Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The 2008 Dodge Ram we have at work with the 4.7L V-8 has what appears to be a factory oil filter drain "channel" attached to the frame. It looks like a miniature rain gutter from a roof. The filter is on the lower driver side corner of the engine, and it sits directly above the frame rail, so there's a handy channel fixed to the frame.

8015189122_480c5bdeef_h.jpg

8015187187_d3d7540174_h.jpg

Images from: http://www.ramforum.com/f38/oil_change_mess_solutions_anyone-22135/index2.html

That's neat.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not too thrilled with the location of the filter on the J35 V6 in the Odyssey. First OC, I pulled the filter from under the car and it drenched the cross member with oil, along with all the wiring that was zip tied to the cross member.

This last time, I grabbed a chunk of cardboard out of the recycle bin and bent it into a V channel and used that to keep the oil off of the frame. A guy shouldn't have to do that when DIYing. Especially the part about having to remove the pass side wheel to get at the filter with two hands.

The filter on the Audi is in a great location. Front driver's side of engine at the lowest point with nothing under it. And it sits at a 30 degree angle down from horizontal, so the oil just flows right down the canister into the drain pan. I just have to deal with a belly pan, but it's no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back