Amsoil's 5W-40 European Oil (EFM) for a BMW 328xi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MCompact
If Amsoil 5w40 European car Formula is actually certified by BMW as an LL-01 oil that is news to me...

It's not. But they did certify their mid-SAPS version of this oil against BMW LL-04 spec. Obviously, LL-04 is not what the OP needs here, so it does him no good.

Possibly Pablo might know if there are plans to have the full SAPS version officially certified against LL-01.

I still can't get beyond Amsoil's busted marketing model.

You can't compete with the big boys when you sell your oil like Tupperware.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You can't compete with the big boys when you sell your oil like Tupperware.

Is their business model to compete with the big boys? I doubt it. They're positioned as a boutique niche player, specifically NOT to directly compete with the big boys. If Amsoil had to invest in mass media advertising and pay for shelf space at Walmart, their products would end up costing a whole lot more than Castrol or M1 that sits on the shelf right next to it and nobody would buy it. People at Walmart and similar B&M stores primarily buy based on price, and that's not what Amsoil's model is all about.

Well you can't have it both ways.

Either you compete with Castrol and M1 as an LL-01 BMW certified oil or you don't.

And if you're not on store shelves where someone can buy your product, I'd say you are at a tremendous disadvantage.

Sometimes I can't wait for the Avon lady to come by to place my order with her husband that is an "Amsoil dealer."

Either you compete with Castrol and M1 as an LL-01 BMW certified oil or you don't.

And if you're not on store shelves where someone can buy your product, I'd say you are at a tremendous disadvantage.

Sometimes I can't wait for the Avon lady to come by to place my order with her husband that is an "Amsoil dealer."

I personally find you exceedingly insulting and ignorant, but I will move beyond that and say Amsoil is selling plenty Of the EFM 5W-40 to people inside and outside of their warranty periods, and also plenty to people who don't want to stay in the 5W-30 window. It's a great LL-01 oil. It's a great oil period, the price is great and I move case quantities with little effort, so I'm liking the business model. My 16 year old daughter had the Mary Kay lady over for her birthday party. Extremely knowledgeable! Way more than the lady in the cosmetics section who had just run over from the condoms section.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I personally find you exceedingly insulting and ignorant, but I will move beyond that and say Amsoil is selling plenty Of the EFM 5W-40 to people inside and outside of their warranty periods, and also plenty to people who don't want to stay in the 5W-30 window. It's a great LL-01 oil. It's a great oil period, the price is great and I move case quantities with little effort, so I'm liking the business model. My 16 year old daughter had the Mary Kay lady over for her birthday party. Extremely knowledgeable! Way more than the lady in the cosmetics section who had just run over from the condoms section.

I appreciate your position but you have to try to understand the message, not rail against the messenger.

I'm neither ignorant or rude.

And I've never seen a quart of Amsoil for sale anywhere.

I've at least seen Redline at a bike shop and a higher end tuner shop.

You have to admit that Amsoil's marketing scheme is flawed.

If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

Objectivity is a good thing.

Why is it flawed? They specifically avoid B&M chains because they don't want to share the profits with them and don't want to be ruled by them and their requirements. You might not like it, but it's a business decision that Amsoil has made, and so many years later, they're still in business.

Again, they don't directly compete with XOM or BP at the retail level, and that's why their marketing scheme is different. You may think it's flawed, but there are many Amsoil buyers who think otherwise. Amsoil is not for the masses.

Quote:

I agree. You should try it sometime.
smile.gif

I appreciate your position but you have to try to understand the message, not rail against the messenger.

I'm neither ignorant or rude.

And I've never seen a quart of Amsoil for sale anywhere.

I've at least seen Redline at a bike shop and a higher end tuner shop.

If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

You know little of Amsoil sales model yet you insult it. That seems odd to me. Every NAPA store I've ever been in has Amsoil and if doesn't then I'm signing them up as a retail account. If the bike shops and speed shops in your area don't sell Amsoil, then I suggest becoming a dealer and signing them up!

Check your retail dealer locator to see what is near you:

Store Locator - Select Retail Store

Amsoil has had sales growth every year since 1972. I would say it's working. Not sure every other lubricant company can say the same. Amsoil and Mobil pretty much were the only companies with synthetic lubricants in the early 1970's, in NA, now everybody has to sell synthetic oil. If you don't like Amsoil or even really want to learn anything about it, then that's fine, no one is forcing you to use it. But it's like you want to find something bad about Amsoil or for Amsoil to go away or ???

Every NAPA store I've ever been in has Amsoil and if doesn't then I'm signing them up as a retail account. If the bike shops and speed shops in your area don't sell Amsoil, then I suggest becoming a dealer and signing them up!

Check your retail dealer locator to see what is near you:

Store Locator - Select Retail Store

Amsoil has had sales growth every year since 1972. I would say it's working. Not sure every other lubricant company can say the same. Amsoil and Mobil pretty much were the only companies with synthetic lubricants in the early 1970's, in NA, now everybody has to sell synthetic oil. If you don't like Amsoil or even really want to learn anything about it, then that's fine, no one is forcing you to use it. But it's like you want to find something bad about Amsoil or for Amsoil to go away or ???

I have been using Amsoil for a few years and have found their business model to work pretty well. I place an order and it arrives a few days later. That's pretty good. The only thing I don't like is having to pay for membership. I would gladly forgo the monthly mail if the membership was free. I usually spend several hundred dollars per order for oil and filters for 4 of my vehicles, so it seems petty to charge for membership. I didn't know that Amsoil sold through retail outlets like Napa. I used the locator and found a place only a few minutes away from my home. I will give them a call next time I need oil and see what they

Would it make everyone feel better if you knew that ExxonMobil sold a ton of PAO to Amsoil? And gasp, maybe even blended for them?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Would it make everyone feel better if you knew that ExxonMobil sold a ton of PAO to Amsoil? And gasp, maybe even blended for them?

Don't understand your point. Well I mean we weren't really discussing Amsoil vs. Mobil 1. Amsoil buys some viscosities of base PAO from EM, and perhaps some custom viscosities. But they do blend their own oils and buys from lots of big guys in large volumes.

Originally Posted By: Dave13
Amsoil's Product Lookup Guide shows the 5W-40 (EFM) as their only oil for a 2011 BMW 328xi. I sent a question to Amsoil because the BMW oil for this car is 5W-30. Amsoil's response is "You will want to use the AMSOIL 5w-40 European Oil (EFM) for this BMW 328xi vehicle. This oil falls within the accepted viscosities that BMW allows for this vehicle and also meets the LL-01 spec requirement that they call for." In addition the Amsoil 5W-40 oil is a Full SAP oil. I have been running Amsoil for over 15 years in my other vehicles and I am very pleased with it. This is my first BMW and want to make sure this is a good oil to use.
I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

Again, you will be pleased with EFM in your BMW.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Don't understand your point. Well I mean we weren't really discussing Amsoil vs. Mobil 1. Amsoil buys some viscosities of base PAO from EM, and perhaps some custom viscosities. But they do blend their own oils and buys from lots of big guys in large volumes.

I was suggesting that if the "water all comes from the same well" does it really matter?

It just seems that blenders simply follow a known recipe and tweak it for marketing /cost reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back