2000 Ford Focus with 30,000 original miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lady down the street will be 90 years old and is moving to an assisted living facility. She's selling her 2000 Ford Focus (which she bought new) and I'm interested in buying it. I know these were some of the most recalled cars EVER and Ford got some really bad press at the time. I've driven the first generation Focus (a 2003 if I remember) and was really impressed with the way it drove. The recalls were mostly wheel bearings, ignition locking and some miscellaneous electrical issues. Reviews from owners seem quite respectable (indicating that the cars were essentially sound). I'm thinking that I can't lose if I can get it for a good price (I've yet to see the car). Anyone here have any experience with these early model Focus?

If it has the Zetec (that's the 2.0 DOCS) engine, jump on the deal, these are bullet proof. I have an 03 ZX5 with Zetec engine and soon it's going to be 2 years since I bought it and the car is great and really reliable. The oil level always stays full, all electrical accessories work fine except for one heated mirror.
The only thing to watch out for is the rust on rocker panels. They can easily be rotten through. Otherwise they don't really have any major issues, maybe the auto tranny is problematic, but I don't know anything about that since my Focus is stick shift.

Last edited:
I think even the split port motor still typically got well above 100k before failure was common. How many years will that take for you?
Our friends early split port rusted out before the engine had an issue and they had 160k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think even the split port motor still typically got well above 100k before failure was common. How many years will that take for you?
Our friends early split port rusted out before the engine had an issue and they had 160k miles on it.

My "99" made it to 230,000 miles but I think there were many engine failures by 120,000. I hope the lady's Focus has a ZETEC.

I seen these Focus' with more than 300,000-350,000 miles and still running like new (they were all the station wagon styled ones).

They were a good little car. Only real issues were the SPI engine dropping valves (I believe the aftermarket has better valve seats/guides?), it has a cambelt and rear camber/toe issues.

If you can get a good price and the thing isn't rusty from sitting, go for it! Do the cambelt, bring it in for a rear alignment and research the valve isuse if it's a SPI.

The control blade suspension makes it a blast to drive ... for a FWD car.

Bypass the EGR and replace the temp sensor for the cooling fan and you can prevent the drop seat issue. Our's runs and drives great at 120k. Originally was my sisters and has been in the family since 30k in 2003. Used to like to ping until I bypassed the EGR.. now the secondaries can open and it'll move a little quicker.

The only issues it's had is had to overhaul the AC (set too long not driven), temp sensor, ignition coil and front struts and springs (they tend to break on the front). Gas mileage isn't great as it's a automatic but can get over 30 on the highway. Should last us another 10+ years easily.

IMG_1815.jpg

Seals dry up sitting and from lack of use. These can include some really expensive items.

Was driven really short trip often or just sat for periods?

First, I want to thank everyone who has supported this site. I have lurked here I believe at least nine years.

Decided yesterday to check out more forums here and found this focus enthusiasm. We owned a focus wagon and while testing a base escape to provide our opinion to someone, we ended up buying it because of memories of our focus wagon.

Some good pics and something to use for comparison can be found at honda of mentor Ohio used cars. Pics of a 2002 focus wagon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Seals dry up sitting and from lack of use. These can include some really expensive items.

Was driven really short trip often or just sat for periods?

My sister was in and out of the hospital, mostly in so it didn't get drove at all over about 3 years. When dad did drive it never used the AC. All his AC's quit years ago. Don't blame the Focus one bit on the AC failure.

Eyes but don't see.

Did you search for that beautiful 2002 Focus SE Wagon. That was ours given to a relative in 2005. If you asked I could've told you everything you wanted to know.

Welcome to Bitog - tired_old_dave. You're welcome.

My how this forum has changed the last ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back