Squatters, eating dogs, camping in a local park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Seriously?! The class A drivers start at $20.75/hour, with a $1 raise (retroactive to the start) after 90 days!

Well for a single person 40K a year is a good living. For a family not so much. So the answer to your question.

Yes seriously.

Actually, I'm not sure even the class B drivers make that little. I'm a B driver, I grossed ~$53k last year (excluding the bonus I got for staying when the terminal moved), and the A drivers make MORE. (I don't think any of them are under $60k.)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Seriously?! The class A drivers start at $20.75/hour, with a $1 raise (retroactive to the start) after 90 days!

Are you in or near Boston? or some other expensive place to live? My area has a 8% unemployment rate and a $22/hr job of any sort would be snapped up in a second. Probably not by a liberal arts degree person, but someone with all their teeth and no tattoos on their face.
The same job here is advertised for $16/hr... I don't know how fast it would be filled though. $16 is pretty close to a McJob here.

Maybe 20-25 miles outside Boston. (I'm not willing to be more specific on a forum.)

My manager explained it thus: "Every driver who wants to work already is. If he's not...there's a reason for it." Its not just us...several other companies are also shorthanded.

where? not here. i never made over $10\hr driving. a local cement company is advertizing $9.75\hr to drive a set of pneumatics.

Pablum! I just checked CL in your area...first local job I clicked on was $17/hr! Also saw $19.46/hr and $19.75/hr, and another for $1200-1350/week.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

Either the economy is much worse than people think (and we are like in the great depression again) or else an awful lot of people don't know how to find a job. Last I checked there seemed to be openings in places like Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, etc. If the office jobs they are looking for are not there they might have to be willing to work in a Home Depot. Or maybe they find begging easier.

No, gentrification of the cities is causing this IMO.

I dont see an issue eating dog. It doesnt interest me, but for someone starving? Im sure it happens. Stealing property is another story, and a pet is someone's property/responsibility.

We see what were nice mountain resort areas and other out of the way small towns getting overrun by the people who used to live in the bad parts of many cities.

Whackos are another story, and that's just scary. But you used to see these folks in the cities too, far less these days, IMO. The kinds who would expose themselves or walk around yelling or doing other odd things...

All I know is I have never seen anything like this before in my entire life and I have lived a long time.

There have always been hobos. And there have always been beggars. But I am seeing beggars almost every day if I drive any distance at all. I saw another one today.

I did not give any money to the hobos and beggars of the past. I knew they would just buy booze or drugs. And I stayed clear of them anyway. Sometimes a hobo could be dangerous or violent. And I am not going to give any money to the army of beggars today. For one thing I could not afford to. There are too many of them. For another thing there is no way to tell who is telling the truth and who is not.

The most surprising thing to me is the large number of women beggars. In the past there were almost no women begging at all. It was almost all men in the past.

Well I'm sure it's the case. The population is growing. People are living longer. So for every one crazy or ineffective or otherwise non-functioning person that existed years ago, now there are three.

In Colorado you also have to account for the Marijuana culture tgat was drawn there, or again the fact that cities are starting to move from decline to gentrification. Those other folks go elsewhere.

How exactly are the 'useless eaters' supposed to be dealt with? That sounds pretty crazy. I certainly do not want for welfare to be abused but some people have to be receiving assistance of some sort for various reasons-disability, mental health issues, etc.

Just to update this thread, my boys and I went through the trails again today and I took some pictures. The two sites are gone, however, there are new ones, one of which is in the same site the tent was in formerly.

Here are the pics:

squatters01.jpg

squatters02.jpg

Note sure how recent the second site is, but the one with the blankets/towels is most certainly recent and replaced the tent site.

How exactly are the 'useless eaters' supposed to be dealt with? That sounds pretty crazy. I certainly do not want for welfare to be abused but some people have to be receiving assistance of some sort for various reasons-disability, mental health issues, etc.

We have to be a compassionate society, those that cant work, the disabled, the elderly, children (legal status) all need to be taken care of to one degree or another.
But these bums who wont work or have kids just to live on the public cow need to dealt with harshly.

Quonset hut barracks camps with a pot belly stove they have to chop the wood for, no chop chopee no heat, wooden bunks.
Surplus food, surplus clothing, used military blankets, no food stamps or ebt cards, no cell phones, no walking around money, no free anything.
Women who wont work when the child is 3 yrs old or gets pregnant again with no means of support or someone to take financial responsibility, the kids go to social services and she goes to the hut.
Throw the fathers who don't support their kids in prison doing hard labor even chopping wood until they decide otherwise.

Camp doctors and medical facility not free ER vists on the taxpayer dime.
Watch how quick these useless blood suckers find work.

Booze hounds can chase their pink elephants and demons in another hut, ditto dope fiends.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav

We have to be a compassionate society, those that cant work, the disabled, the elderly, children (legal status) all need to be taken care of to one degree or another.
But these bums who wont work or have kids just to live on the public cow need to dealt with harshly.

Quonset hut barracks camps with a pot belly stove they have to chop the wood for, no chop chopee no heat, wooden bunks.
Surplus food, surplus clothing, used military blankets, no food stamps or ebt cards, no cell phones, no walking around money, no free anything.
Women who wont work when the child is 3 yrs old or gets pregnant again with no means of support or someone to take financial responsibility, the kids go to social services and she goes to the hut.
Throw the fathers who don't support their kids in prison doing hard labor even chopping wood until they decide otherwise.

Camp doctors and medical facility not free ER vists on the taxpayer dime.
Watch how quick these useless blood suckers find work.

Booze hounds can chase their pink elephants and demons in another hut, ditto dope fiends.

49.gif

I wish.

We have natives here who feel they are entitled to a government cheque because a couple hundred years ago the white man chased them off their land.
Then we've got the residential school debacle and the which is now cutting cheques for 6 figures for each person,abused or not.

I'm métis. I work,pay taxes and I don't ask my gubment for anything. As far as I'm concerned we are all born naked and screaming,equal.
The rest of your life you either keep trying til you make it,or die,but giving up isn't an option.

I'm sure we all have seen pictures shanty town shacks during the depression. Soup kitchens and all the rest of it. My vision is a modern version, thats all.
To stop the freeloading you have to make it more difficult and painful than working.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I'm sure we all have seen pictures shanty town shacks during the depression. Soup kitchens and all the rest of it. My vision is a modern version, thats all.
To stop the freeloading you have to make it more difficult and painful than working.

Trav, you stated things perfectly in both your recent posts...
for folks that refuse to work even though they are able bodied they get NOTHING. As far as "mental disabilities" well we have slightly retarded folks working for min wage and they go to work every day being as productive as possible. There should be draconian rules for providing any sort of mental disability benefits at all. The rest can either get a job or yes, we should designate certain "no man" lands where those that refuse to work and earn a living to live. With NO benefits provided, let them
"work" to live in the wild.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I would stay clear of the area, unless you have a permit to pack heat...

I would just shoot them. why take chances?

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: grampi
I would stay clear of the area, unless you have a permit to pack heat...

I would just shoot them. why take chances?

Sadly yes, but it is disgraceful that public trails can't be used because vagrants are illegally squatting and loitering on public property to be used for recreation.

The police should remove them and warn them to stay away or face prison time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back