Bought a CZ P-09 (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After many days and weeks of deliberating with myself over the purchase, and with the excellent help from you fine folks, I bought a CZ P-09 this weekend. Sootch and Hickok45 both have very nice videos of this gun on YouTube, and they helped encourage me that it was going to be a good fit for my purposes. And it is, or at least it seems to be.

I shot a few hundred rounds through it on Saturday. Even 19 round mags go quickly when you're having fun! It's very comfortable to shoot. The interchangeable backstraps make customizing the fit and feel pretty easy. I'm using the largest, but I may try the medium. It has nice checkering on the front and the back straps, and some checkering on the sides of the frame as well, above the trigger guard, as a memory spot for your thumb and trigger finger. I really like those bits of texture on the frame. The slide itself is quite heavy, and has cocking serrations on the front and on the back. The sights are 3-dot targer sights and the rear is drift adjustable.

I really like the decocker. One of the things that drew me to this gun was the Omega trigger system, and the ability to swap between a decocker and a manual thumb safety. I think I like the decocker. The DA first pull (if you have decocked it) is heavy, but smooth. Subsequent SA pulls are short and fairly light.

The fit and finish of the gun are excellent. Look at the machining in the slide, and that polishing on the feed ramp. It does feel like a very sturdy duty weapon.

My first few magazines produced great results at the range, at least for me. I shot a "duel" with my friend, who is a much more experienced shooter. I'd take a shot at my target, then he'd take a shot at his, etc. My first two were in the 2" red bulleye, from 30 feet. Six of my ten shots were within the 2" red bullseye. I had four "fliers", but those were still within the next two rings. I was loving that.

I had set out to buy a P-01. I was even already shopping grips for it. But I decided that this purchase was really a "tool" gun, one that I'd like to holster carry and shoot at the range and be more "active" with. I figured the polymer frame would be more resistant to wear than the painted aluminum frame of the P-01. I love the classic lines of the CZ 75, and was actually intending to buy one of THOSE initially, but was looking at the P-01 as a "compromise" between a gun with those classic lines and one with a rail (and the SP-01 as well). I do think I will eventually buy a CZ 75 in stainless as a "cool/fun" gun down the road. But for this purchase, I figured a "duty" pistol would be most appropriate, and boy, it really does shoot nice.

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

I have a cz40b and love it... im a cz user for life!

I wanna get a stainless 75b and a regular p01.

Then I can die happy =)

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
I have a cz40b and love it... im a cz user for life!

I wanna get a stainless 75b and a regular p01.

Then I can die happy =)

I had one of those CZ/Colts as well. It was a fun gun.

I'm a Glock guy , but have ben intrigued by CZ's for quite a while - that feed ramp picture should be enlarged and made into a fold out !!

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I'm a Glock guy , but have ben intrigued by CZ's for quite a while - that feed ramp picture should be enlarged and made into a fold out !!

I started off liking CZ's (still do) and then learned to like the glock. That long, hand polished CZ feed ramp is very nice and really makes the gun feed smoothly. You can put some flitz on a felt polishing wheel on your dremel and make that ramp literally look like a mirror. It certainly isn't necessary to do but it makes it look even better and is even easier to clean when it is mirror polished. The FN pistols are the only other guns I know that come with that level of polish on the feed ramps.

CZ pistols are great. We have a Shadow SP-01, nothing but butter smooth flawless functioning. If i aim well enough, it will pick off small targets at long distances no problem.

Congrats, I have the same, luv it,
only complaint is I can't seem to find a holster locally.

Op, did you find a holster for it? I am wanting to carry it concealed...

No, I don't have a holster for it yet. My friend did buy his CZ 75 D PCR this weekend, so I'm going to check that out on Saturday and shoot with him.

There are a lot of holsters available online that fit the P-09...I haven't tried any yet. I have considered buying a PCR or P-01, or even a P-07, for concealed carry with heavier clothes during the colder months. Haven't decided on that yet.

I did buy the P-09 for home defense/range use, so I *should* follow that plan and not carry it. The intent is for my wife to be able to defend herself and the kids at home while I'm at work during the day.

Great choice!! I love all my CZ's, but my P-09 is my nightstand gun and love how it feels. It is uber reliable and fits like a glove in my hand. I will be picking up the P-07 for carry duty, even tho I love my OD Green P-01 and Black P-02. The CZ addiction hits hard
crazy.gif
(Accu-Shadow, Target-Shadow, 75b High Polish Stainless, 75b Matte Stainless, 97b(love this gun), P-09, OD P-01 & P-02. I think I've got them all listed)

Update to this thread: I like this gun so much, I just bought its smaller sibling, the new-for-2014 CZ P-07 (which replaces the CZ 75 P-07 Duty). More at this link.

I have some update pictures. Fresh sight paint (Testors model paint from Hobby Lobby) and Hogue Handall grip glove. The orange front sight looks like it has some paint spillage, but that's apparently a weird artifact of sunlight and/or unsteady camera creating that effect. The front and rear sights are both very crisp and clean. This gun is such a sweet shooter. Enjoy.

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

Last Tuesday I traded my minty SR1911 for a minty P-09 and $150. I have 3 1911's and the Ruger was just sitting. I was waiting for a FDE P-09, but it was $570. But I settled for a black one and $150........ha we were both happy with the deal.

I went to my (new) local range (20 minutes away) this AM to try it out with 500 rounds. Beautiful day. The only gun I brought was the P-09. All I can say wow. This is best shooting polymer pistol I have ever handled. Just really did those targets in. NOT one issue. Came home, cleaned up nicely.

This is indeed a nice gun. Recommended over the Glocks and others out there - 19+1 rounds to boot.

The CZs are FANTASTIC guns. Just marvelous. They shoot so easily, so smoothly, so...just on target. The only thing I wish they'd do differently are the huge controls...I like lower-profile controls like Glocks and M&Ps have. I bought the P-09's smaller brother, the P-07, earlier this year planning to carry it, but it's just too thick for my liking. It's nearly 1.5" thick at the widest point, which is as wide as a holster has to be. So I carry a Shield instead, at 0.95" wide.

But that matters zero for a home defense/range gun. And the CZ P-09 shines in that duty. I have swapped the stock 18# recoil spring in mine for an ISMI 13# flat-wound spring for a Glock 17 and boy does it cycle easy and smooth. I don't shoot +P ammunition the Czechs have rated this for...just regular ol' 115 grain at the range and 115-124 JHP rounds loaded at home. The lighter spring improves shootability even more.

You made a great choice in the P-09. It's a jewel of a firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back