Can Wheels be Straightened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ranger has one wheel just slightly bent, not much, but at 70 mph it begins
to shimmy a little if put on the front, less so on the back. Consequently, I can't rotate the tires and will soon be needing new ones. Have looked all over for replacements but unable to find one that matches....its basically a steel rim but with a chrome face on it.

Are there any places that can straighten a wheel? If not, is it likely that it
could be improved by getting it balanced on one of the Hunter "range force"?
machines?

If it's steel then I'm pretty sure a shop can bend it back out.

Sure it's not just a worn tire that went out of balance? Not saying it's not the rim, just that an imbalance at the rim is less noticable than an imbalance at the tire.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yes, wheels can be straightened. Go to a wheel repair shop.

True. Very true. There are a lot of wheel repair shops up here in Michigan. Go figure.

It may be cheaper to just buy a good used wheel, though.

Originally Posted By: supton
If it's steel then I'm pretty sure a shop can bend it back out.

Sure it's not just a worn tire that went out of balance? Not saying it's not the rim, just that an imbalance at the rim is less noticable than an imbalance at the tire.

Its been thoroughly checked at the place I buy tires from and its just a little off being round. They balanced it on the regular type machine and it works pretty good on the rear; I'd like to be able to rotate new tires when I get them.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

True. Very true. There are a lot of wheel repair shops up here in Michigan. Go figure.

Heres a pic I found on the internet of the type wheels I have. Local yards don't
have anything. https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-tyc-sc&p=2000 ford ranger&type=

I'd think a tire shop would have the tool to unbend. Worst case is that the chrome peels off (which it might have already). Any issue with that?

I'd check www.car-part.com

Select "w/ image" after selecting wheel as the part, and it will show you pictures of what was available on the truck that year.

Pick yours and search. If you order a replacement, be sure to confirm with the seller that it's the right style before you finalize things.

Originally Posted By: supton
I'd think a tire shop would have the tool to unbend. Worst case is that the chrome peels off (which it might have already). Any issue with that?

Most wheel repair places run through a full gamut of 'restoration': straightening, curb damage repair, and refinishing. Chrome is usually an upcharge but when I had two wheels repaired, they basically fix all of the problems.

Depending on the wheel, simple replacement is sometimes cheaper... a full straighten and refinish is fairly labor intensive. Call a dealer first, just to get an idea of a new oem wheel cost. Price out a fix, and decide if new makes sense, or of fixing does. Or, start calling wreckers / used parts places. Ford Rangers are very common, someone probably has a matching wheel...

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Heres a pic I found on the internet of the type wheels I have. Local yards don't
have anything. https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-tyc-sc&p=2000 ford ranger&type=

that link just pulls a up a yahoo search results page, the pics section, has rangers with 3 or 4 different wheels...

Our wheel guy is mobile.

If you are unable to locate one, a few calls to the local Cadillac dealerships will find one. They are usually there a couple of times per week.

Last wheel I straightened was a 20 X 9 and it only cost 90 bucks to get it perfect...

Thanks folks for all the good suggestions.

I first went over to the nearest town to a major collision repair shop and they said there was no one in the area that could straighten wheels.

Stopped at local gas station on way home and mechanic there put a call in to someone he knows that has one for $100 so I told him to get it, providing it was straight and not rusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back