mobil 1 filters. .......... grrrrrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have run into bad filter threads myself. unfortunately the threads on the filter are only as good as "sparky" the dude who runs the machine that makes them. maybe sparky was a stoned temp that day. it happens.

Wow o_O What exactly would make a filter wobble when being put on? The only thing I can thing of is whatever machine is used to thread the things going through it at an angle.

I've only used one Mobil 1 filter, and it was great...for a week. Then my car got smashed up (I wasn't driving it). Wish I could've had it in longer, since the VG really seemed to like that filter.

I think it depends on which Mobil 1 filter, here's why.... Had a heck of a time getting a M1 filter on my mom's Cadillac. Actually took it back to the parts store. They gave me another one but the counter guy told me that some filters have more than one set of threads cut into them to fit several applications and you've got to hit it just right. Same problem with the second filter but eventually I got it on. Never had a problem putting one on my wife's Grand Am or my old Ranger. I've mentioned this on the Caddy forums and other people there have said the same thing. On mom and dad's Caddys I just use AC PF-61's now.

I find it hard to believe that any filter company would cut (or roll) dual threads on any filter. Seems way to dangerous to me.

No, you have to contact Ms. April Furst at Champ labs to discuss this matter.

I've never seen a dual threaded filter ..out of all the spec's that I've seen on Donaldson or other sites.

We have a Sequoia, which uses exactly the same engine as the Tundra (2UZ-FE V-8). I've used Mobil-1 filters on this engine, and my other vehicles for years, and must have installed dozens of them by now. I always personally inspect each filter I buy, both in the store, and before it actually goes on the engine. I've used both the "standard" size M1-102 (like 05 Tundra), and now use the "tall" M1-209. I also use M1s on my G35 sedan. I have yet to detect any indication of a quality problem with an M1, either in the form of noticeable pre-install discrepancies or in the filter's performance. It's simply not fair to judge a product line based upon a sample of one.

Whatever, that's what the parts guy said. Looking at the threads I could believe it though. Again, I never had any trouble spinning an M1 filter on any other vehicles, just the Caddys. I quit spending that much money on filters anyway, now I just put Motorcrafts on the family Fords and AC's on the GM's.

I would say the parts guy is either lazy or knows little about filters.

Basically what he is claiming is that multiple filters are all the same size, have the same internals, and the only difference is the threads.

Not sure i'd be excited about shopping at his storeroom of knowledge.

As i've explained before Champ has a thread code stamped into the baseplate assembly. Easily seen by the consumer. This is also a quality control issue to make sure the correct baseplate/threads are used by part number.

As Mobil 1 is their customer, one can see this in those filters.

The filter is in the garage but I dont remember double threading when I looked at it after the leak. I also could not detect anything wrong with the filter by eye. Im going to send it out when I have some time. I'll post the results when/if I receive them.
Even if I didnt have a bad experience with the one filter, I most likely would still never have purchased another mobil. I always use pure 1's, its just that the store didnt carry them. My next filter would have been a pure 1 either way.
I didnt think people were having a problem with the filters, and that has been confirmed here. Thanks for the help.

quote:
"Paid 11 bucks for the mobil1. Get home, change oil, about to put on filter. I look at the filter and it just looks like crap. Bad craftsmanship."

I normally use nothing but Pure One myself, but recenetly picked up a Mobil 1 filter to try. I haven't used it yet. After reading your post I went to the garage to take a close look. If anything, the Mobil 1 filter seems to be of higher quality than the Pure One, at least to my eye. I'm wondering why you thought it looked like crap?

I've used a few M1 filters. They all fit on tight and straight, never a problem.

Maybe the one you got was mislabeled?

I bet someone put a different filter in the box. It obviously had the wrong threads if it wobbled while being installed.

Also, if he said the filter looked like crap, it was not a Mobil 1 filter.

One final thought. He does not understand statistics. A 100% faulure rate. Um Hmm. OK. True, but....

I've also used Mobil 1 filters many times on a number of different cars (belonging to me or my family) and have never had any trouble. My Miata with the notoriously noisy HLAs doesn't clatter any longer with a M1 than it does with a Pure 1, Mazda, Bosch or Baldwin.

It doesn't demonstrate an open mind to dismiss a product entirely because of a single poor example. It also seems like BITOGers have concluded that Katrina-blend oils (Mobil 1 included) won't put your engine in dire straits. There's some prejudice going on here. It'd be awfully frustrating to have this experiance, but it would've been prudent to take that filter back as soon as it's defects were discovered - shoddy manufacture as well as 'wobbling' - and compare it to another one on the shelf. Not every Mobil 1 is defective.

I'd really like to see what Champion says about this.

I have read several posts from people who have experienced start-up noise when using an M1 oil filter on a late-model Ford 4.6L engine. I can't imagine what the reason for the noise might be.
dunno.gif
Who knows.......

GF,

I agree. As much as I love M1 filters, I see no reason to spend the extra $$$ for a M1 filter when a MC is available for 1/3 the price.

I've even stopped using them on my VW, in favor of Pure One's. I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the M1 filter.

thats how i see it too. I got a M-1 filter for my dakota V-8. never had a prob with the filter. but I use Pure one noe. because I couldnt see paying that much for a filter.

I purchased a Mobil filter for my 1998 Gran Marquis and every time you crank up the engine you get rattling for a few seconds. Went back to the Motorcraft filter and the problem no longer appears.Obviously it is an ADBV issue. This is in itself enough for me not to use their filters.Remember price does not always equate to 100% quality.If I pay >$11 for a filter it should deliver performance,but glitches do occur.I believe 2005TUNDRA has a valid point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back