Jaguar E-Type Lightweight Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sculpture is voluptuous. I hope it has state of the engine management, EFI, not the trips that were original. LSD and a 6 speed too. I had a Series 3 '84 XJ6. Very pretty car, reliable, not so much
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The new Jaguar has been impressing a lot of folks lately.

Great looks and great performers once again. I am very glad to see it...

Well, looks like (dot) Indians are doing something right for that company :) Seriously, Tata as a group has always been one of the most admired industrial power house in the sub-continent for probably most of the last 100 years.

I can't wait until they take over MB truck division, that would be some irony!

I am also confident that there are bunch of BITOGers here who would loath to credit the Jaguar turnaround to its new owner but will claim that it was all Ford who actually fixed Jaguars and Indians are just enjoying the windfall.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am also confident that there are bunch of BITOGers here who would loath to credit the Jaguar turnaround to its new owner but will claim that it was all Ford who actually fixed Jaguars and Indians are just enjoying the windfall.

I don't think it matters who gets the credit. I want one of these. Besides being gorgeous, its value should double the day after delivery, as only six are being made. I'm sure they are all already spoken for, though.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

I don't think it matters who gets the credit.

Totally agreed. Jag has real automotive credibility now, and their build quality seems to be good also. They deserve their success.

I'll take that F type...

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Having purchased four during the Ford era, and still owning two of them, I can say with absolute certainty that the turn around credit belongs to Ford. Had GM got them, they probably would have gone the way of Saab.

The reliability increased significantly from the 1989 to the 1990 Xj6. It took another big step with the 1994 Xj12. The 2004 Xj8 was a quantum leap - built like no other car in the world then, or now, AFAIK, at least until Ford begins construction of the bonded aluminum pickups.

That said, TATA has clearly taken them to another level that Ford was unwilling or unable to do. Ford would not allow production of the F Type although it was designed when they had it. Ford would never have allowed them to finish out those six lightweight E Type chassis that they had kept around all those years.

If I can ever get the new business I started last year to turn a profit, a new F Type or an XF will be my next new Jaguar.

I always wanted to add an E Type to my fleet, but having seen the F Type, I no longer have much interest in an E.

I will grant you that Jag was a total mess when Ford acquired them. Really bad QC.

Ford did a great turnaround job with that.

But like with Volvo, model and some parts standardization was beginning to creep in during the Ford era. I'm not sure they pilfered off Jag's tech like they did with Volvo, but I think the company has more independence under the new regime. And that is good.

Conversely, Volvo was better off before Ford.

Pretty interesting article about Jaguar, Ford and Tata; the gist is that Tata did not want to "merge" their Nano and E-type vehicle but Ford wanted to Taurusize Jaguar/Volvo. Essentially, Tata gave the acquired company the much needed capital and gave them general direction but complete autonomy as far as actual design, build, operation were concerned. If I am not mistaken, both Jaguar and Land Rover are raking in profits for its hands off owner.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dri...rticle17678401/

Jaguar could have made an E-Type Lightweight under Ford.

Volvo could have made another R series car under Ford.

Both had complete design and engineering freedom to do so.

As long as it looked like a Fusion.

Sexy! I love the old E types, nothing sounds like a Jag I6 on its cams!

So the question is for stupid money one of these or the Eagle Speedster?

1234421_634573396582718_183016520_n.jpg

eagle-speedster-jaguar-e-type-photo-559360-s-1280x782.jpg

If Ford has any sense left at all, it will take a long, hard, look at Tata's management style, and apply it to Lincoln, while there is still a faint glimmer of hope.

Agreed. However, I wouldn't advise holding your breath. Perhaps I'm painting with far too wide a brush here, but after decades of watching the D3 I'm still amazed they repeatedly fall into the same management holes. Where's their head (leadership) at?

I once heard the difference between management and leadership is that the former is focused on climbing the ladder efficiently, and effectively while the later is focused on ensuring the ladder is leaning against the right wall.

From the article, it sounds like the Indians were not afraid to admit they didn't know a thing about the luxury car market, so they hired someone who was and provided them with sufficient resources to back them up. Makes sense.

At times and over many years, D3 reminds me of a crazy cat-toy: You wind it up, set it down, and it immediately runs into the nearest wall. So you pick it up, move it away, point it in another direction, and it still hits the same wall as before. So you put it upstairs, in another room, in another house, and it finds it way all the way back to that exact same spot and runs into the wall.

How odd....

Originally Posted By: Win
If Ford has any sense left at all, it will take a long, hard, look at Tata's management style, and apply it to Lincoln, while there is still a faint glimmer of hope.

And they better hurry. Lincoln is pretty much dead, and nothing new is coming without some new direction or excitement from within...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back