ATF For 1995 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L I6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what type of ATF and capacity is for above Jeep ? I found one refereance to Mercon / Dexron but not sure that is correct ?

Hello, Same sister, same 1999 XJ I referred to in your coolant thread.
Her '99 took Dex/Merc. I DO NOT KNOW about a 1995.
The feature I love is that exactly one gallon of trannie fluid drains out when you remove the plug of HER transmission.
I do believe, however, your's is the same unit as my friend's son had a '95 and he said it was the same but I do not know for certain. Kira

Check the dipstick or owner's manual (if you have one), but if you have the Aisin (sp?) transmission, it takes dex instead of ATF+4. Does your transmission have a drain plug on the pan?

Owners manual?

If you stop by a dealer with the VIN they can print out a listing of every feature that went into the vehicle at the factory. You will then know the exact transmission. I have this for both my vehicles.

The Amsoil website should also list your vehicle.

Do not forget about the TC and diff.

Amsoil ATF and gear oil are great stuff and worth the hassle to obtain.

Dex/Merc. I use Valvoline Maxlife. The AW-4 pan holds 4 quarts. They run hot, so look into a transcooler if it doesn't have one.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You will then know the exact transmission.

The AW4 was the only automatic offered in the 4.0L XJ Cherokee.

Originally Posted By: GregGA
Dex/Merc. I use Valvoline Maxlife. The AW-4 pan holds 4 quarts. They run hot, so look into a transcooler if it doesn't have one.

+1 to D/M, and Maxlife will work fine. Many people report draining out 4 qt when they pull the drain plug, however, mine would drain more like 2.5 qt, so don't just add 4 qt after draining. Start with 2 qt, check the level, and go from there.

Thanks for the replies - until I check the dipstick , etc. all I can advise is she is a automatic transmission 4X4
smile.gif

You will want to use Dex/Merc on it. It's what the transmission was originally supposed to have, there's millions of these transmissions out there (Toyota still uses it) in all sorts of vehicles that have gone well over 1/4 mlliion miles on Dex/Merc and ... it's cheap.

I run the cheapest Dex/Merc I can get. I have used mercon V before. Truth be told, unless you run the thing dry (which I may or may not have done before), you aren't going to kill an AW-4. I have seen them severely overheated and ... they just don't die.

My Jeep gets used like a Jeep should. So it tows, hauls and off roads. Since the gearing sucks on my Focus, I use it in the city too. I have a 15000# transmission cooler on mine. You can DEFINITELY feel a difference. The fluid is warm coming from the radiator transmission cooler and quite cool when it leaves the aux cooler.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: GregGA

+1 to D/M, and Maxlife will work fine. Many people report draining out 4 qt when they pull the drain plug, however, mine would drain more like 2.5 qt, so don't just add 4 qt after draining. Start with 2 qt, check the level, and go from there.

I always get a different amount out of mine. Makes zero sense.

I have learned to measure ATF amount carefully after draining - then underfill slightly and add gradually when warm , drive and repeat until the level is right ... I would imagine for a drain & fill WM Super Tech Dex VI ATF would be good (if dipstick checks out ). It certainly is priced right !

The XJ has an Aisin-Warner automatic (AW4), originally spec'd for Dexron III when built. ATF +4 is back-spec approved, but for that particular tranny I'd probably go with Dexron VI, presonally. A generic Dex III replacement will work fine too- if you go that route MaxLife is a good product.

FWIW, the AW4 is pretty tough. Shifts are kinda slushy and has an audible wind-down like a tired greyhound bus on the 1-2 shift, and like most early full-electronic transmissions it wastes a lot of power compared to a stick or modern automatics... but does it FOREVER. Its not super picky.

Last edited:
Dex III was the original spec. Use it with confidence. Did so with my 88 xj with the same transmission for a very long time.

Chrysler did issue a recommendation to use ATF +4, but most folks noted they did so after any warranty they offered was no longer in place.

Make sure you know what transmission if it if 42re, you better use chrysler atf 4 or you will have problems, again identfy the transmission.

Originally Posted By: jeep58
Make sure you know what transmission if it if 42re, you better use chrysler atf 4 or you will have problems, again identfy the transmission.

4.0L XJ Cherokee's never came with a 42RE, so no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back