Anyone use DEX6 in PS yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my 2 chevys i have used prestone but want a synthetic. Can't seem to find anything other than RP at AZ .. Is maxlife PS fluid syn at all? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
For my 2 chevys i have used prestone but want a synthetic. Can't seem to find anything other than RP at AZ .. Is maxlife PS fluid syn at all? Thanks

Do those chevys even spec ATF for their PS?

Id think they would spec that GM sheet numbr for PSF. If so, I think Redline makes a syn PSF that should meet it.

What does the OM request for PSF? Dont just assume ATF.

I'm running Maxlife ATF and inline filter in my 02 Silverado PS system after replacing the rack, new high pressure hose and rebuilding the pump. It is thinner than PSF but I've have no issues so far.

If it calls for psf, use psf.
If it calls for atf, use atf.

Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple, Neo... have synth psf.

GM cold climate is another option, even if not a full synth. Lucas and Lubegard are good choices too.

I have used Dex VI in a 2000 Tacoma. It worked well and even seemed as thought it provided a slightly easier feel at the wheel.

I wouldn't use D-VI in a power steering system unless it calls for it. My personal favorite still remains CHF-11S.

Many ATF's and PS fluids have close to the same viscosity. Either one will work in 99% of all power steering systems. I myself have used Maxlife syn ATF an also the synthetic based Lucas power steering fluid with conditioners. Each has worked flawlessly in all my PS system's from the 60's cars up to my newer cars of today...

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
If it calls for psf, use psf.
If it calls for atf, use atf.

Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple, Neo... have synth psf.

GM cold climate is another option, even if not a full synth. Lucas and Lubegard are good choices too.

+1

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I wouldn't use D-VI in a power steering system unless it calls for it. My personal favorite still remains CHF-11S.

My G37 actually calls for the Dexron-VI, but according to Pentosin, the 11S works, too. Of course, I get a gallon of Dexron-VI for less than a quart of Pentosin.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

My G37 actually calls for the Dexron-VI, but according to Pentosin, the 11S works, too. Of course, I get a gallon of Dexron-VI for less than a quart of Pentosin.
wink.gif

The CHF11S is a very good product especially for low temperature environment use.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Many ATF's and PS fluids have close to the same viscosity. Either one will work in 99% of all power steering systems....

There seem to be several different PS system available today (positive displacement pump, variable displacement, electro-hydraulic) and I am not sure one fluid will work for 99%. Once it seemed that most OEMs used ATFs such as DEXRON-II,-III or Type F. Today GM, Ford and Chrysler recommend their own type of ATF (ATF+4, DEX VI, MERCON V, LV). Toyota and Nissan recommend genuine PSF. Honda has a unique fluid having a high viscosity, enhanced anti-wear, and excellent low temperature properties. European OEMs primarily specify dedicated synthetic power steering fluids or Central Hydraulic Fluids (CHF). Many PSFs in the NA market are low performing products. In my opinion European Fluids will work for all except Honda and Dexron/Mercon will work for all for a short period of time and can be an economic choice for many.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

The CHF11S is a very good product especially for low temperature environment use.

Can CHF11s be mixed with other fluids? I have some left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back