Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave5358
Per the administrator over at MarvelMysteryOil.com the sulfer content is 1.6ppm. Gasoline in California is 30ppm sulfur; in the rest of the country it may be as high as 300ppm.

If the numbers are correct i cant see how this can cause a sulfur issue.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Per the administrator over at MarvelMysteryOil.com the sulfer content is 1.6ppm. Gasoline in California is 30ppm sulfur; in the rest of the country it may be as high as 300ppm.

If the numbers are correct i cant see how this can cause a sulfur issue.

There is no sulfur issue with MMO, except in the particular case of the low-sulfur diesels mentioned above.

I don't know about today's engines with cats, but we used a lot of this stuff in engines calling for lead (mainly pre-'71) once the leaded fuels went away. And it worked in keeping the valve seats from wearing on unleaded. This was in carbureted delivery systems.

As far as the other posters claiming an effective octane loss, you've got to be kidding. Eight to sixteen ounces in 20 to 24 gallons of gasoline isn't going to reduce the octane in a meaningful measure. We had other ways to compensate for the octane loss in those fuels anyway. But that was enough to keep the older valve seats happy.

But in a modern FI engine with a cat? I'm skeptical of the benefits. I also think there are better additives for a crankcase these days.

As far as this Kilmer guy, never saw him. Sounds like a pitchman to me.

Consumers Union (the Consumer Reports folks) occupy a very unique position - they test brand names, generally without the manufacturer's permission. And, even they get sued. But they are so wrapped in 'public purpose' they are almost an arm of the government. Sadly, they haven't done a review of oils or additives that i have found

Surely you have seen this?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/259274/Consumer_Reports_1996_NYC_Taxi

Originally Posted By: babbittd
Consumers Union (the Consumer Reports folks) occupy a very unique position - they test brand names, generally without the manufacturer's permission. And, even they get sued. But they are so wrapped in 'public purpose' they are almost an arm of the government. Sadly, they haven't done a review of oils or additives that i have found

Surely you have seen this?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/259274/Consumer_Reports_1996_NYC_Taxi

The Consumer Reports link in that thread doesn't work. The study in question can be found at this link.

It's an interesting study of popular motor oils - good reading. They only tested three additives (Slick-50, STP Engine Treatment and STP Oil Treatment) and found no benefit from any of them.

Killmer might have an inadvertent point.
I personally stay away from all Chlorocarbon products.

That includes Splenda, chlorinated brake parts cleaner and I guess now MMO (though there are other reasons it's not on my radar).
21.gif

I gave up reading this after page 4, but here are my two cents.

I had a Scion FR-S. They are notorious for cricket chirping noises from the direct injectors. I used MMO with every fill up, approximately 4 ounces. I significantly reduced the chirping from the injectors. If I went a couple tanks without it, the noise came back.

MMO at this point in the game serves mainly as a UCL. It might have some minor cleaning ability, but I used it in the FR-S to lubricate the fuel system, which in that instance with that vehicle, provided a quantifiable benefit.

Now, in my Mustang, I have so far observed no tangible benefit to adding MMO during fill ups. Actually, the only thing I have noticed is that my fuel economy has dropped...but I don't have a substantial long term trend to really tell for sure.

On an aside, I used an MMO and Techron combination after I first got the car. Boy did the car not like that lol. Stumbling, hesitation, and misfires. Went to the dealer, who identified a TSB for a known issue. What was interesting however is that while I could get the car to present the issue without any fuel additives in the tank, as soon as I added them the misfires became immediately apparent in all driving conditions. This tells me that the fuel system on my Coyote may not be too keen on adulterated fuel.
After they performed the fix (new crank position sensor with O-ring), I no longer have any misfires, even with fuel system cleaners.

So once my MMO bottle is empty, I won't be buying anymore. Instead I'll just do a bottle of a PEA laced cleaner before every oil change.

As a funny side story, anyone who is familiar with the new capless filler necks on most Fords can relate to this.

I took a bottle of Techron and attempted to pour the contents into my Mustangs filler neck, only to watch a river of injector cleaner come pouring out behind the fender onto the ground.
Ford includes a small plastic funnel device for opening the filler neck. Without it, there is a valve that stays closed preventing the insertion of bottles all the way into the filler neck.
Gas pump handles are sized appropriately to actuate this valve on their own.

Prior to this I had been wondering what that white plastic device was for...

I must make a comment on MMO. I've always had an interest in it but didn't start using it until about 6 years ago. I was wondering what I could use to clean out my engine before my next oil change, so I put 16 ounces in my crankcase about 2 weeks before I was going to change the oil. About 7days into this I pulled out the dipstick wiped it off and noticed that where the oil touched the dipstick was very clean, just like a brand new dipstick. So to my conclusion as a gentle cleaner it does work, I also noticed when I dropped the oil it was very black telling me that the MMO cleaned the engine and suspended the gunk in the oil. I would say it does clean the crankcase out and gently which is good. I have been using it as a fuel additive in my 2012 Kia Sorrento since I bought it brand new, I can't say for sure if it is doing anything in that respect, but when I saw the results on the oil, I would guess that it is keeping the fuel system clean also. I have had no bad situations occur so I would have to say it works. Good luck.

I agree with good old Scotty!

MMO has been proven to be useless as a fuel additive and rather dodgy as an oil additive. It's an outdated way of cleaning up old tractor engines that got sludged up.

Thank you guys for reviving a two-year dead thread that should have been allowed to rest peacefully.

First, I think of this:

then of course this rule:

And who can forget Gene Wilder:

So please, let it die.

After I started using a cap full of MMO in my Mowers and blowers gas. I have had less fuel related problems. I use it as a viscosity lower-er. When I had a cold snap fore casted, I added a pint to the 4 liter sump of a 528e . 20 w 50 dino is too thick to start below 10 F. I left it in 'til spring. I should probably change it before the engine seizes
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
After I started using a cap full of MMO in my Mowers and blowers gas. I have had less fuel related problems. I use it as a viscosity lower-er. When I had a cold snap fore casted, I added a pint to the 4 liter sump of a 528e . 20 w 50 dino is too thick to start below 10 F. I left it in 'til spring. I should probably change it before the engine seizes
grin2.gif

Have you thought about using a 10w40, 5w40, 15w40, 5w50 or 15w50 instead of 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back