PH16 replacement questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I am amazed by the knowledge I read here, and am grateful for the help I have gotten here just by spending hours reading the posts. I've searched here on oversized filters for the size ph16, but am just a bit more confused then before I looked.

Both my 1994 Chrysler T & C van with a 3.8 V6 engine and my 1992 dodge Spirit with a 2.5 4 cyl engine take the same filter, a PH16. ( I believe) I know the T & C takes the PH16 because I've owned it for years...currently has 208k and still looks new.
The Dodge spirit I just bought, and currently has a Carquest B4670 filter on it. I believe that cross referances to a PH16 also.

I've read here that a PH16 equals a PH8A, but it does not have a bypass valve.

I initually wanted to use a bigger filter, because there is a lot of room for a bigger one on both vehicles, but now I'm a bit scared that I can pick the wrong one.

I'm no mechanic....I do little stuff, built my own house, but feel more at home replacing a water heater or a electrical panal box then working on a car. I've been using Fram filters, but read here that they are not the most liked. Sounds like even the Walmart brand are better liked then the frams. Sounds like people here like the NAPA brand a lot also.

I do not know about bypass valves, etc, so maybe I should just stick with the PH16 size, and go with the brands you all recommend. I change my oil about every 3000 miles, which is about 2-3x a year on my vehicles.

Can I safely use a different filter, and if so, what would you all recommend?

Thank you in advance for your kind help. you guys seem like the kind of people you wish you had for neighbors.

Frank D.

I used to use the PH8A... but switched to the Motorcraft FL-1A on my 2.5 Caravan when I joined BITOG. Instead of 4 quarts & 16 ounce capacity with the PH-16, I give it 4 quarts & 20 ounces now. No problems.

The PH8A doesn't exactly equal the PH16. The PH8 size is a longer version of the PH16. Both filters have the same OD, the same thread and gasket size. So if you have room, a PH8A sized filter can be used in place of a PH16 sized filter.

The Fram "PH" series filters are considered to be inferior filters for many reasons, despite their high visibility and household familiarity.
The CarQuest filters are considered to be substantially better filters than the Fram "PH" series filters. Same applies to the NAPA Gold Filters. Both are made by WIX.

The Fram "XG" series (Extended Guard) are generally considered to be to be the only worthwhile Fram filters and are apparently very good. So you'd be looking at the XG8 or XG16 filter if you wanted to stick with Fram. The knock against the Fram XG filters is their high price. The general consensus is that just as good filter can be purchased for a lot less money from other manufacturers.

The Fram PH8 and PH16 filters both have bypass valves built in. When you look at the equivalent filter from other manufacturers (Purolator, Wix, Baldwin, NAPA, Carquest, etc, etc), the specs will say whether it has a bypass valve or not.

This should be enough to get you going. You'll receive lots of recommendations from other members for specific filter brands they like.

Pretty much everything I've written here, I learned from this site. I came here about 2 weeks ago with essentially the same question as you : I have a Chrysler 2.7L V6 that uses (used) a PH16 and I wanted to know if there was something better and larger I could use. I've spent hours and hours reading all the old posts. My Intrepid now has a PH43-sized NAPA Gold 1068 filter on it (longer than a PH16 but shorter than a PH8A), and my wife's Sunfire now has a NAPA Gold 1036 filter (twice as long as the original puny PH3387a).

Good luck, and have fun.

Phil

i'm a big fan of purolator myself.

the L14670 Purolator filter is the equivelant to the PH16

the longer L30001 would be equivelent to the PH8A

definitely make the switch if you have the room too, nothing wrong with more filter and slightly more oil capacity
smile.gif

I think there are a few (weak) arguements against larger filters.

1. With a bigger oil capacity, it will take longer for your oil to get up to temperature. This is bad for short trip vehicles.

2. If your adbv is bad it will take longer to refill the larger filter, giving you longer dry starts.

3. If you dont prefill your filter after your oil change you will have a longer dry start with a larger filter.

I know there are good arguements in favor of a larger filter, just pointing out some alternative issues.

1. An additional 1/2 qt oil will make absolutely no measureable difference in warmup time. None. Period.

2. Why do I keep seeing this obtuse reference to "dry start?" There is no such thing, except possibly if someone was foolish enough to rebuild a motor with no assembly lubricant, and start it withput priming the pump. That is just ridiculous.

PH16 = Motorcraft FL300, bypass in the threaded end, built like a tank by Purolator. Thats what I use on my Dodge Dakota. About $3 at Walmart.

It appears that, in my WallMart anyway, they offer the FL1A, FL300, FL400S, bigger stuff for the PowerStroke, and the ONE filter for the modular engines.

I think that you may be out of luck at Wally World.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back