Difficulty installing better grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been battling weak headlights in a 2001 Olds Aurora for a while now. I've tried Philips Xtreme Vision/Power bulbs and now on to HIR bulbs to replace the stock 9006. The HIR's were a VAST improvement but I feel like they are beginning to yellow out more and more. Car has weak grounding, particularly from the passenger side bulb but when I attempted to wire in an extra ground wire I found it would short out the turn signal fuse. Same effect when I wired in a relay harness. I can post the schematics, and I may have in the past but I would love to hear from somebody a little more knowledgeable than myself for options to upgrade the grounding, and maybe voltage supply, to these bulbs

I've had luck using wd-40 and spraying the existing grounds. Not permanent but when driving my old beaters it did help brighten the lights for a week or so.
Or clean up the existing ones with some steel wool and try that. Just spitballing.

I think you need to get to the bottom of why adding a ground shorts out another bulb first. Therein lies your problem...

Post the schematics. Adding an additional ground should not short out anything if done properly.

The driver side headlight could use some improvement, but the passenger side is notably more yellow. Note that G103 is very close and in the engine compartment but G401 is IN THE TRUNK.

2v9206x.png

6qwhav.jpg

24o4iyt.jpg

1zmf9r4.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I think you need to get to the bottom of why adding a ground shorts out another bulb first. Therein lies your problem...

+1 - sounds like something is going through another bulb to get to ground.

Sounds like a short somewhere. If another bulbs fuse is blowing while another bulb is dim, than I would start my testing not at the dim bulb but the one that keeps blowing the fuse. Do you have a DMM? It sounds like you are playing around with wiring already, so I would check the current of the one that blows out and work your way backward.

Last edited:
Look at the bulb, the socket it fits in, and the wire ends at the socket. Look for green ,exposed copper. Green slime when wet. green strands when dry. Dual filament bulbs would use the light as a ground path if the ground to the brake / blinker filament's fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back