Anti-idling regulations affecting your business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I just got back from a country where black, sooty diesel exhaust was so prevalent from every bus, car and trucks tail end, that the smell saturated our clothing while walking along busy roads and gave us headaches. Even being stuck behind tour buses in a car with the windows cracked was painfully bad. It wasn't just a few people who were polluting, but what seemed like every single diesel, old or newish, as well as a lot of the older gassers.

Where abycat is located, and where I am, it wouldn't matter much. You could have virtually every vehicle on the road a diesel from the 1950s and the difference would be negligible. The population density just isn't high enough.

That being said, I don't yank a lot of anything. In the taxi days, cats might come off, but they were LPG anyway.

Bluestream: If there's no inspection procedure, the feds can outlaw whatever they want. Highway Transport Patrol is provincial and isn't looking for catcons anyhow, and contract policing has other priorities.

Originally Posted By: abycat
In Alberta, installing a DPF delete kit itself is not a regulatory offence, according to Alberta Transportation spokesperson and public affairs officer Trent Bancarz. However, the annual Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program (CVIP) inspections conducted on all large trucks do require an OEM or equivalent exhaust system.

This is how the case law works on exhaust systems up here. If the exhaust system (as in an aftermarket one) has a spec sheet for the vehicle in question, then it's legal, assuming it's not well beyond noise limits. Any universal type exhaust system is technically illegal.

I think the anti-idling regulations should be dependent on where the vehicle is parked. Trucks parked in an open lot or truck stop should be able to idle, or even in areas where they are unloading goods far away from a ventilation system.

Certain areas I can understand, like the parking space right outside the building I work in. It has an air intake vent not far from the parking spot. One day there was a diesel van idling there and the whole building smelled like diesel exhaust.

The other day I briefly parked our work van in a lot that has a sign stating "no idling vehicles" so I could deliver some mail. I have to put the flashers on in this spot since it is a load zone. Some lady yelled at me for leaving my van running (a gas engine mini-van), and I then informed her that the van was off and dangled the keys back and forth in my hand as I walked away from it. Even if diesel emissions standards made it possible to put your mouth on the tail pipe and breathe some people still wouldn't be happy.

Having been to countries with no emissions standards I'm so glad we have them here.

Diesels are tough but the technology will catch up to the regulations.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If everyone just rips off the emissions equipment then where do we go? That is just nuts, and also illegal.

That dealership should be closed down. Have some responsibility to the future for goodness sake...

Some people do it simply to restore basic functionality! We have a tractor at work...2010 International, randomly shutting down because of the emission system. It went in today for a new DPF...its THIRD one, at $6500 (wholesale) a whack! If the old one has any damage to the core, the core charge is $2000.

Honestly, if I had to drop $13,000+ on an emission system...the next time, it would come off!

Diesel power has jumped the shark.

I absolutely agree with the last line.

Anyone remember the early days of cats and EGR? Those stunk, too.

They didn't randomly shut engines down. (Half the fleet, at some point.) They didn't fill oil pans with raw fuel. (Box truck, Cummins 6.7, couple months ago.) They didn't cause vehicles to shoot flames 6' out the exhaust pipe. (Tractor, MaxxForce11, July, was towed out and has not returned yet.) They didn't go from running perfectly to struggling to hold 10MPH in thirty seconds. (Tractor, DD13, yesterday.)

Quote:
The problem is if everyone keeps ripping off emissions equipment there will only be a few changes, all of them bad.

One will be dirtier air. The other will be big fees and LOOOONG lines at the vehicle inspection stations!!!

No problem...I won't own a post-2007 diesel, and get just about anything else through without a problem.

This product is designed to deal with frequent start/stops needs, starting power in extreme cold conditions and EPA regulations prohibiting tractor trailers from leaving their engines running for long periods at rest. This company is also supplying their ultracapacitors to some OEM passenger car makers for their start/stop technology

https://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/products/engine-start-module/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back