Bee problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like bees have set up a nest somewhere behind the siding... I don't know how deep into the house structure they have gotten. There is quite a bit of activity getting in and out through that gap between brick and siding. Obviously I don't want this colony to grow and have a massive beehive in the walls.

I feel a bit silly calling an exterminator on them. What should I do?

P1010231.jpg

Bees? Those are perhaps yellowjackets?

Some of these things seem to live in isolated holes underground or elsewhere - we had yellow jackets living in a hole in the yard once. But wasps and hornets seem to make grey paper hives, which might be an issue and a return basis.

Seems like you have a sealing issue first and foremost, though some things cant be sealed due to expansion and contraction, and that joint may be one of them...

Wasps! Spray away your troubles with some wasp/hornet spray, then caulk the gap over...that's what I do with the little buggers. Barns and sheds get loaded with them around here. I go through several cans a season.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
Spray away your troubles with some wasp/hornet spray,

Yeah, I thought about that. Not knowing how many of them there are, I'm hesitant to just start spraying... don't want to get stung, I guess.
smile.gif

You can buy hornet/wasp/yellow jacket spray that sprays from about 30 feet away. Spray the area a few times a day until there's no more visible activity, then seal the area.

Yeah. Those aren't bees. No honey there!

As mentioned previously, spray it a few times a day and caulk that area with silicone once the activity diminishes enough that you can work in the area.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
You can buy hornet/wasp/yellow jacket spray that sprays from about 30 feet away.

Link?

Use causion in the area.
Those things are very agressive and will come along and sting you for no reason, especially in the vicinity of their nest.
They should be sprayed daily until you don't see any more of them.
They can be persistent and hard to get rid of.

You need to get this product. Either form your local exterminator or online. Not suggesting that you use this site listed below, just showing you what the product is
smile.gif

It hasn't failed me although it take between 10-14 day after you have puffed the nest. Take a look!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=apic...cide&crdt=0

It's a talc type powder with a long straw(inside & outside) and a squeezable container. It's awsome!

Sprays can't do what this stuff can do. Sprays only anger the nest. This will kill off the whole nest as the bees enter/exit the nest and get the powder on their bodies/legs and the bees will bring it into their hive.

You won't need to use much and the product will probably last for years. It's slow reacting but, very deadly!!!!

Last edited:
Also remember to spray them near nightfall or at night if possible, when they are less active, if you spray them during the afternoon, they will be more aggressive.

This has some tips.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-a-Wasp%27s-Nest

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Use causion in the area.
Those things are very agressive and will come along and sting you for no reason, especially in the vicinity of their nest.

Yeah, no kidding. I disturbed their nest last year while mowing the lawn (the nest was somewhere near the ground by the neighbor's fence) and had multiple stings to show for it.
smile.gif

It's why I'm trying to be careful this time.

Those are definitely some kind of yellow jacket. I've never seen them make a nest inside of an eve though. Usually they nest in the ground or in trees.

Wait until early morning when the temp is at is coolest and dark and get some wasp and hornet spray. Spray the entire can into that seam. The spray has residual abilities to keep killing for at least one week as long as you don't have rain. If they didn't have another way out they should be all dead within 12 hours.

Last edited:
FYI
If you do have (honey) bees, don't call an exterminator or use poisons.
We (the world) have a bee shortage, and colonies are collapsing

Look in the yellowpages or the internet specifically for a beekeeper or even amateur beekeeping hobby group in your area. (Google beekeeping+ your area).

They will come and take your bees, often for free or discounted price as they will use the colony and give it a home. At least give them a call. If you want, they will also give you any of the house's honey that your bees made that is accessible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back