crumbling purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: grampi
Still waiting for all the historical evidence ...
whistle.gif
grin.gif

Who was your servant last year? Look it up yourself...

I've done my investigation for these so called mass repetitive failures you claim have happened over the last 10 years. The result was no smoking gun showing what you claim is true in any threads or photos to back anything up. If you think it's true, then prove it ... otherwise it's just a foggy misconception you've formed in your head.
whistle.gif

Where did you get that I said they happened over the last 10 years? I never said that. What I said is that Fram had a problem that went on for years with their filters coming apart because of the cheap, cardboard end caps...it happened and that's a fact...you can keep saying it never happened, or it wasn't a big problem as much as you want, but doesn't change the facts...

Where did you get that I said they happened over the last 10 years? I never said that. What I said is that Fram had a problem that went on for years with their filters coming apart because of the cheap, cardboard end caps...it happened and that's a fact...you can keep saying it never happened, or it wasn't a big problem as much as you want, but doesn't change the facts...

So what "for years" are you talking about ... 1963 to 1968? Like I said, I did search this board pretty extensively for posts from 2002 (board creation) to now and could not find any smoking gun or repetitive postings of dozens of failed Fram reports like there is on the Purolator tearing problem.

Are you sure you're not confusing this with SuperTech filters which did have quite a few posts here showing bad end caps, etc.

So what "for years" are you talking about ... 1963 to 1968? Like I said, I did search this board pretty extensively for posts from 2002 (board creation) to now and could not find any smoking gun or repetitive postings of dozens of failed Fram reports like there is on the Purolator tearing problem.

Are you sure you're not confusing this with SuperTech filters which did have quite a few posts here showing bad end caps, etc.

Gramps I right.. Fram DID have an issue with their filters back in the 60's and 70's. (Do I have documentation? No.) Most of the car folks I have talked to that are 50+ have seen a Fram filter come apart.. back then. This along with the Pennzoil and QS horror stories will continue to give both companies bad reputations and negative feelings like what we see here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Gramps I right.. Fram DID have an issue with their filters back in the 60's and 70's. (Do I have documentation? No.) Most of the car folks I have talked to that are 50+ have seen a Fram filter come apart.. back then. This along with the Pennzoil and QS horror stories will continue to give both companies bad reputations and negative feelings like what we see here on BITOG.

It was more recent than the 60s and 70s...it was still going on in the 90s because I remember reading about it then...

Then maybe you need to search somewhere other than just in this forum...

Even if it was in the 90's, the issue has since been addressed.

Apparently reputations mean nothing anymore. Call me crazy, but I no longer trust a company after they knowingly put out bad products for years...as several of us have already said, why take a chance buying products from a company with at least a questionable character when there are many other reputable companies offering very good products?

Reputations mean something in todays world, but 20+ year old negative opinions are just silly. What proof do you have NOW that Fram makes questionable products? Do you have any CURRENT experience with Fram products?

I am sure Fram wasn't anything to brag about back in the day, but we are talking about now. Purolator made good products in the past so I guess they are safe to use now right? Pennzoil made waxy oil in the past so I guess they are making the same questionable oil today.. Don't be living in the past.
wink.gif

If it hasn't shown up on this site since 2002, then IMO it's now a non-issue, wouldn't ya say? It's pretty sad when somebody still is leery of a product or brand that had problems 15 or 20 years ago and doesn't have problems today - "living in the past" as mentioned above pretty much sums it up. Hard core hatersville. An example of the flip side from that is guys who still love Purolator even with the tearing problem going on ... hard core fanboyism.

why take a chance buying products from a company with at least a questionable character when there are many other reputable companies offering very good products?

So now what camp does Purolator fall in for you?
grin.gif

Reputations mean something in todays world, but 20+ year old negative opinions are just silly. What proof do you have NOW that Fram makes questionable products? Do you have any CURRENT experience with Fram products?

I am sure Fram wasn't anything to brag about back in the day, but we are talking about now. Purolator made good products in the past so I guess they are safe to use now right? Pennzoil made waxy oil in the past so I guess they are making the same questionable oil today.. Don't be living in the past.
wink.gif

What's silly is to ignore the bad reputation of a company to buy their products anyway, when there are numerous other companies that don't have bad reps making perfectly good products...why bother with the bad rep company? It doesn't matter if it was 20 years ago...it's still the same company...

If it hasn't shown up on this site since 2002, then IMO it's now a non-issue, wouldn't ya say? It's pretty sad when somebody still is leery of a product or brand that had problems 15 or 20 years ago and doesn't have problems today - "living in the past" as mentioned above pretty much sums it up. Hard core hatersville. An example of the flip side from that is guys who still love Purolator even with the tearing problem going on ... hard core fanboyism.

I won't buy from either of them now...no need to...there are plenty of reputable companies to buy perfectly good filters from which makes it unnecessary to take the risk of buying products from companies with questionable business ethics...

wink.gif

What's silly is to ignore the bad reputation of a company to buy their products anyway, when there are numerous other companies that don't have bad reps making perfectly good products...why bother with the bad rep company? It doesn't matter if it was 20 years ago...it's still the same company...

You're right. Ill stop buying Pennzoil now.

wink.gif

Actually, Fram has changed ownership a number of times in the past 20 years, just FYI.
smile.gif

Apparently I'm not getting through to some of you, so let me go a different route...do you feel the products from these companies are so superior to those of any other company that you just don't care about their past reps? If so, what is it about their products that makes you think they are so superior that they're worth buying regardless of the company's rep?

Apparently I'm not getting through to some of you, so let me go a different route...do you feel the products from these companies are so superior to those of any other company that you just don't care about their past reps? If so, what is it about their products that makes you think they are so superior that they're worth buying regardless of the company's rep?

Yes I do. As far as I can tell, there is no other brand out there that is as efficient as Fram that doesn't make my Jeep tick on start up. That is very important to me.

As said though, Fram has switch management since said issues have been around. Same name, different product. Why aren't you willing to give them a try?

Yes I do. As far as I can tell, there is no other brand out there that is as efficient as Fram that doesn't make my Jeep tick on start up. That is very important to me.

As said though, Fram has switch management since said issues have been around. Same name, different product. Why aren't you willing to give them a try?

So you've tried every brand of filter out there and they all make your Jeep tick except for the Fram? I believe I stated very clearly why I won't use Frams...

^^^ "Livin' in the past".

Tell me what oil filter can out perform the Ultra for the same price, availability, construction and reliability?

^^^ "Livin' in the past".

Tell me what oil filter can out perform the Ultra for the same price, availability, construction and reliability?

You put too much stock in flow rates and filteration numbers...those aspects of a filter are the least of my concern...ANY filter flows and filters well enough...far more important is that the filter doesn't come apart...at that point the filter's only function is keeping oil from leaking out of the engine. I'm not relying on a filter from a company that's known for making filters that fall apart...

Today, I found some of the older stock Ultras for my F-150 at $6.99 a piece. I just about fell over, comparing it to the $13.99 price of the newer stock. No, I didn't buy them; Wix at $4.99 is good enough.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back