New Microguards MGL51522

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I'll pass.....and stay with my Fram ULTRA....which can be used for at least two 7.5K OCI's....and has much better efficiency.

In addition, the ULTRA is reasonably priced for a long OCI filter ($8.97 at WM).

True... Im going to use a FRAM ULTRA on next OCI.

I nearly bought one today.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks decent, and as this is for a GM application no possible combo valve to think about as the bypass is in the engine.

What I'm curious to see is a non GM application to see what kind of bypass it will use. If uses traditional Wix separate thread end bypass and adbv then based on this filter that will be excellent. If however it uses combo valve construction like some Auto Extras posted here, then not so much.

But for GM applications, this Wix made MGL filter looks to be an improvement over either of the two previous manufacturer's filters, imo. Is there any efficiency listed on the box?

Thanks for the pics.

Yea, why do some filters that fit my Moms Chevy Trailblazer not have a bypass? I mean even FRAMs for that Truck do not have a bypass... I figured the ENGINE had one built inside but was not sure.. Even Pureolator Oil Filters for this trick have no bypass.

Strange.

how does a cheap economy federated filter made by hastings compare to this? are they similar? The federated is cheaper and my tire place uses those for their oil changes, i feel they are like this and the napa pro selects

hastings and wix are both great in their "legit" form but in their economy lines, maybe it's not as good, but still better than a fram OCOD, right?

fram=causes engine problems

Originally Posted By: engineer20

How's that?

hastings and wix are both great in their "legit" form but in their economy lines, maybe it's not as good, but still better than a fram OCOD, right?

I wouldn't put it that way. In my experience, which is jaded because of the strange Canadian market and pricing structure, I have no incentive to go up to the XP from the regular Wix, nor to go down a tier from the regular Wix (i.e. NAPA is too expensive). To make matters more confusing, Hastings is cheaper than Baldwin, thanks to the retailers involved, and I stay away from the orange can simply because it's not competitively priced for an entry level filter, whereas the XG is a real value.

how does a cheap economy federated filter made by hastings compare to this? are they similar? The federated is cheaper and my tire place uses those for their oil changes, i feel they are like this and the napa pro selects

how does a cheap economy federated filter made by hastings compare to this? are they similar?

The federated is cheaper and my tire place uses those for their oil changes, i feel
they are like this and the napa pro selects

This is a year old thread, dude!

I've used a number of Fram filters on cars I've maintained (including my own) and I haven't had any "engine problems" related to oil/filters. Their filtration specs, even on the Extra Guard, seem better than Hastings/Wix, which is why I'll probably start using them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back