3/4 and 1 ton diesel - 2000 and newer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I just did a 2 week camping road trip with our kids: minivan with a tent trailer. It has served us well since we got the tent trailer several years ago, but the limitations of both the tent trailer, as well as the minivan as a tow vehicle are getting to the point of being a nuisance. The van wasn't purpose-chosen as a tow vehicle - it was what we had when we decided on a trailer, and that dictated we look at tent trailers. Difficulty climbing steep mountain passes is one of the issues, then the whole set up and take down of the trailer gets to be a real burden on short stop overs, espcially overnighters. Upgrade time, at least for the camping rig, is going to come sooner rather than later for us.

Starting with the trailer, we agree we both want a fifth wheel. Road trips are our thing, and with bigger trailers, the stability of the fifth wheel is a huge plus. That means from a practical perspective, we need at least a 3/4 ton to have a good margin when towing (don't want to be towing at the limit like with our minivan). New, while nice, is out of the question budget wise. In fact, we haven't even decided on a budget yet, but I know it won't be for the cost of new: either trailer or truck.

And so I come here with questions related to one half of the equation: the truck.

What am I looking for, besides 3/4 or 1 ton? Diesel powered, can be either manual or automatic, crew cab or extended cab, probably long box, though I understand there are special hitches that eliminate clearance problems between the trailer and cab for short boxes, and it should be reliable.

So then, what do I look for? Anyone here have experiences, good or bad, with Ford, GM or Dodge diesels? Are there certain transmission or engines I need to steer clear of? I am already aware of the 6.0L PowerStroke problems, the poor fuel economy of the 6.4L PowerStroke, and the host of issues surrounding the DuraMaxes with the engine codes LB7, LLY and the not quite as bad, but not quite good LBZ.

Looking at used pricing and mileage, 2008, plus or minus a year looks to be my sweet spot. With the Fords, that pegs it to the 6.4L, and I see market pricing on those are far below the GM and Dodge trucks. Dodge is less, but only slightly so overall in pricing, than the GMs.

The truck would be an addition to the stable, and not a replacement for anything. It will also likely see other duties besides trailer towing in the future in the medium term as we eventually plan on moving out into the country.

Would love to hear from anyone with diesel pickup experience.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I would try and find a 7.3L powered Ford. Least problematic of the PowerStroke series. Great engines.

The 7.3 will only be as far as into the 2003 model, which is probably going to run an older condition vehicle than the OP wants.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I would try and find a 7.3L powered Ford. Least problematic of the PowerStroke series. Great engines.

The 7.3 will only be as far as into the 2003 model, which is probably going to run an older condition vehicle than the OP wants.

When I was looking in the beginning of the year people with 7.3's thought they were a gold plated engine. Prices were crazy for 200k+ trucks. Or the cheap ones were rode hard and put away wet for the past 11 years.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

When I was looking in the beginning of the year people with 7.3's thought they were a gold plated engine. Prices were crazy for 200k+ trucks. Or the cheap ones were rode hard and put away wet for the past 11 years.

Yup, that's definitely an issue. I encountered a similar situation when I was entertaining the idea of getting an Excursion at one point.

A 2003-2007 Ram will work...or the same-era Duramax GM. Avoid any post-2003 Ford and all 2008+ diesels.

Do not overlook gas power. The 2005+ Ford 30-valve V10 is a 362HP powerhouse, as is the 345HP Hemi. (Both will need deeper gearing than a diesel.)

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense.
If the OP wants something cheap with plenty of interior space, a gas Excursion might be a good choice.
It isn't likely that the price premium for any diesel pickup would make sense for the OP's use.
Now, if I were in the market for a diesel pickup, I don't think that you can beat a Cummins inline six.

Originally Posted By: weebl

So then, what do I look for? Anyone here have experiences, good or bad, with Ford, GM or Dodge diesels? Are there certain transmission or engines I need to steer clear of? I am already aware of the 6.0L PowerStroke problems, the poor fuel economy of the 6.4L PowerStroke, and the host of issues surrounding the DuraMaxes with the engine codes LB7, LLY and the not quite as bad, but not quite good LBZ.

Looking at used pricing and mileage, 2008, plus or minus a year looks to be my sweet spot. With the Fords, that pegs it to the 6.4L, and I see market pricing on those are far below the GM and Dodge trucks. Dodge is less, but only slightly so overall in pricing, than the GMs.

The truck would be an addition to the stable, and not a replacement for anything. It will also likely see other duties besides trailer towing in the future in the medium term as we eventually plan on moving out into the country.

Would love to hear from anyone with diesel pickup experience.

I would love to hear bad things about the LBZ, Besides people over fueling...running crazy timing & Cracking a piston? Keep an LBZ/Allison stock, & it will outlast the truck. Mine has 298,000 miles on it, With just maintenance.

If you want to do a lot of mods & make 600hp....Get a Cummins, The bottom end is Very stout, I have owned a few Cummins powered Dodges in the past, I loved the engines, Not so much on the Chrysler Corp part though. My last one was an '03 2500 HPCR/47RE....The worst vehicle I Ever owned, I think it spent more time at the dealer than in my drive way, Traded it in for my Duramax right before the powertrain warranty expired at 96,000 miles. Probably just a Lemon, But I will never buy a Chrysler product again.

I won't discuss the truck as my 3/4 ton is a gasser, but I went from a 5er to a bumper tow. Works better with the kids because of the [censored] you have to take. The only good thing and it wasn't much better was how it towed. Hated not having the bed of the truck. Hated how you had to maneuver it the pivot point is weird. My truck with the hitch I have now gets no sway and no porposing.

Ok I lied... I tow with a 300 HP and 365 ft/lbs of torque truck. My trailer is just at 35 feet 2 slides and is at just under 7450 loaded for 5 days of camping. I average right around 8-10 mpg towing.

My truck sits. I just use it to tow I couldn't justify the price of diesel to sit on the side of the house.
smile.gif

I have had this setup for 3 years and 22,000 miles.
IMG_1888.jpg

My grandmothers sister and her brother bought a brand new Ram with a Cummins and a 30'+ 5th wheel and traveled America. They sold it and bought a similarly sized Motorhome and a tow bar and they tow either their Jeep or Silverado. They love this much more as it's easier to unhook their car and go run around while the motorhome is parked. Also you have kids which a motorhome would be nice for because they can play inside it while you're driving, and hang out rather than buckled into the back seat of a truck. They also didn't like going from truck to trailer to truck to trailer at stops to get things, now they're already in the motorhome.

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Hemi and a 25' trailer modified to be a toy hauler. Loaded down for a weekend with quads and gear, I weighed it on the scales and I was only a couple hundred pounds shy of 16,000 lbs. The Hemi pulls it no problem and with electric brakes stops it to. Sway bars do wonders as well as heavy duty trailer tires, the tires are rated for more than the axles, but improved handling without a doubt. Gas mileage is about 8 miles to the gallon and that is in Florida. I took it to PA with quads with a 12' trailer and had 4000 lbs on, the truck probably weighs around 6000, so that was 10,000 and got between 12 and 13 mpg. Still not even the slightest trouble pulling the mountains at whatever speed, I wanted. I bought it new and when I bought it, I didn't have trailers or I would have maybe opted for a diesel. Back then it was about a 7,500.00 spread in price. Diesels, especially Cummins have fit into a cool niche now though. What a 2006 2500 with a Cummins sold for, they are still selling for with a 100,000+ miles. Be ready to pay for a diesel, unless you buy a Ford and then be a nervous wreck waiting for it to come apart.

If you buy a Ford, get a 7.3 or pony up for the 6.7. There's a reason the 6.0s & 6.4s are cheap! Don't think you could go wrong with a Cummins or Duramax, though.

I think it all depends where you live and go. If you do a lot of mountains like the Rockies with the high elevations you want something turbocharged as naturally aspirated engines loose, what 1% every 1000 ft? If you primarily are on the East coast or don't do mountains, you can probably get away with gas.

In turbocharged applications, that means 2 things: Ecoboost or Diesel. Since you want a 5th wheel, that means Diesel unless you want a tiny unit and want to special order the unicorn F150 with HD payload and Max Tow.

What I was told when I was shopping (ended up with an EB with Max Tow) in the Diesel realm:
Ford 7.3 - Tough as nails but loud. Power is decent but you won't win any races. Trannies could be the sore spot although the 4R100 is generally reliable. Sold up until 2003.
Ford 6.0 - Can be reliable if someone else foots the bill for "bulletproofing". Set aside at minimum $10k for repairs out the door. Skip unless you're a Diesel mechanic or wealthy or want to wear out your Nikes.
smile.gif

Ford 6.4 - A little better than the 6.0 - generally reliable but poor fuel economy. Set aside some $$ for repair as some things get pricey quick.
Ford 6.7 - (2011+) Great engine, good truck. A fine alternative to the GM.
GM Duramax/Allison - great transmission, good engine, good truck. Probably the best all around package of that vintage.
Dodge/Cummins - Great engine, truck is very below par (it is a Chrysler after all). Set aside $$ for all the little things that will go wrong.

Had I went gas 250/2500 I'd have looked hard at the Ford V10 or the 6.4L (I wanted Ford). The GM equivalents would also be fine alternatives.

In the end I went with the Ecoboost with Max Tow and we'll scale the RV to fit the truck. Looking around there are many fine options that will work with this configuration.

In addition to the forums recommendations, I'd pick the RV you like and then let that guide your truck purchase.

I have a neighbor who has a 2013 Ford 6.7 3/4 ton diesel and he has been really happy using the truck for his construction business

Before buying a Ford 6.7 diesel, Google "CP4 pump failures". Every one of them is a $10,000+ repair waiting to happen!

Originally Posted By: mjk
Wouldn't a GM 6.0 L pull well, for less cost?

That's what I would buy for a weekend toy.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Before buying a Ford 6.7 diesel, Google "CP4 pump failures". Every one of them is a $10,000+ repair waiting to happen!

Yes but isn't that same pump used on the newer Duramaxes and Cummins? I can't remember. And, yes Ford requires tons of proof to get them to cover it under warranty (which IMHO is [censored])

With these newer Diesels you have to be very careful of fuel quality.

Thanks for the responses. This seems to confirm my initial thoughts on a truck:

- the Ford 7.3L PowerStroke were a good engine, but in that age range, you'll need to deal with other old age issues on the truck itself

- forget the nightmare Ford 6.0

- the Ford 6.4 is a bit better, but be prepared for frequent fuel stops

- the Cummins are great engines, the truck itself maybe not as much

- the GM Duramax seems to be the ticket, but early year models had their problems.

I've entertained the idea of a gasser, but my personal preference would be to go diesel. Also entertained the idea of a tag-along trailer, but again, knowing many people with the different types of trailers and their comments have led me to the fifth wheel. And I did also think about the motorhome idea with a toad. Though it's permitted in most places, not sure I like the idea of my little ones bouncing around as we hurtle along at freeway speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back