Ramps or No Ramps--which drains the most oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use ramps for our 3 cars out of habit and easier access. However, I could do all three without ramps. Just wondering which would drain the most. The plug on the back of the pan seems to be placed to drain better with a slight incline (ramps), but I'm sure lifts at dealerships are nearly level. With all the nooks and crannies in the engine, is one better than the other?

Last edited:
I think it would depend on the location of the drain plug and the shape of the pan itself. Example, my 2006 Altima drains better on an incline from what I can tell, but my Explorer seems to prefer a nice level surface.

So to answer your question, I don't know that one could say FOR SURE that one is better than the other. You could get an idea, such as how much oil drains out in comparison to the capacity. And correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK you will never drain 100% of the oil out on a basic OC.

I dont think it makes a significant difference..but id say slight edge to ramps..but i doubt the few ml's of oil change anything.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You can fit under all them Toyotas with no ramps!?

Haha..I wouldn't say fit UNDER them, but I have long arms and can reach the drain plug. The Corolla is the only one with the filter on the underside and it's right up front behind the radiator.

If you let the oil drain until it stops dripping I can't see that it would make any difference. At this point I always pour in just a little bit of oil and wait for it to come out. If it looks clean than I'm done.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

Haha..I wouldn't say fit UNDER them, but I have long arms and can reach the drain plug. The Corolla is the only one with the filter on the underside and it's right up front behind the radiator.

My sister previously had a 2000 Corolla that I would lay next to and remove the drain plug. Reaching the filter was a breeze from under the hood -- didn't even need to get under the vehicle.

On my 97' Camry I could change the oil and do drain and fills on the tranny no problem without jacking it up, which I usually did anyways but I did do it without. The oil filter is 100% the easiest to change on these cars! right under the hood by the dipstick.

My parking spot is on an incline so I don't really have a choice! I use the empty bottle from the fresh oil to hold the used oil and it always comes out to my capacity (4.5 qt) level or on a slight incline probably doesn't matter too much. My filter is horizontally mounted and accessed through the wheel well; virtually impossible to not make a mess getting the bugger out.

If you feel your oil has gone so bad that a few ml of old make a difference, there's greater problems with your maintenance procedures.
You better just run a "flush" fill with 5quarts for 10miles and dump that before filling with your final oil;

Heck you better flush 2x to be sure...

Depends on the car and engine. On an older ford with a front sump, it would drain better flat. While on a rear sump engine, the ramp will help more.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

On my 97' Camry I could change the oil and do drain and fills on the tranny no problem without jacking it up, which I usually did anyways but I did do it without. The oil filter is 100% the easiest to change on these cars! right under the hood by the dipstick.

You know whoever designed the placement of the Camry oil filter was a genius!! Every time I change the filter on mine I giggle it's so easy.

It depends on the location of the drain plug. For the two vehicles I use the ramps for the drain plug is at the back of the oil pan. My van's drain plug is on the side of the oil pan so I jack it up take the plug out and lower it while it drains.

To answer the OP's question: Yes, if the drain plug is on the back side of the oil pan, more oil will be drained out with the car up on ramps.

I wouldn't stress it too much. On most cars with oil coolers, there's going to be old oil left over no matter what, and it hasn't caused them to blow up left and right.

Also, speaking of the Toyota 5FSE, I had the opportunity to pull an oil pan of one of these, and as it turns out, the oil plug was in such a position that there would never be a complete drain. It still had several ounces of oil in the pan, because the lowest part of the pan was below the oil drain plug hole. This was on a 1993 Camry.

It will make no discernible difference to your car.

I rotate my own tires, though, so the sump gets to drain while the vehicle gets moved around a bit more and for a longer period of time. Probably gets me an extra 1-2 oz out, but again, makes no difference in longevity or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back