Sad, sad day... My Saturn is on death's door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
57.gif
57.gif
57.gif

I didn't want to add to the "Is my Camry worth fixing" thread.

Bought my 95 SW1 in 2003 with 142k miles. I paid $800.
banana2.gif
Now, at 240k, it won't shift into first gear.

If the rest of it were in good shape I'd fix it, but, it actually turns out many other systems are also dysfunctional.

The radio changes to preset #3 when I jar it, typically with a tire-chirping gear from 1st to 2nd. I just put my favorite station in "3".
laugh.gif

The flange rearward of the catalytic convertor rusted to bits. I replaced it with a couple inches of pipe. If either the cat or the mid pipe needs service, it will require butchery. Also the front flexpipe is its own unit, which I bought 6 months before buying a replacement cat, which I could have gotten attached to... drumroll... a flexpipe.
mad.gif

Also, the driver's window is off the track. If I "help" it seal in a parking lot it won't whistle. If I roll it up from a toll booth etc it leaks air and drives everyone nuts.

DSC_0163_zps2fc52f00.jpg

The headliner is held up with pushpins.

DSC_0162_zps07655a90.jpg

The driver's seat doesn't match, it was replaced due to saggy foam in the original.

DSC_0161_zps21098e76.jpg

The paint's flaking off the liftgate. It was repaired/ repainted by a body shop. IDK if a factory liftgate is "plastic" or painted or ???

DSC_0160_zps6551906a.jpg

Both rear door sills are rust city. I was looking into patch panels when the transmission thing happened.

DSC_0164_zpsd3cd99ff.jpg

I'm not afraid to invest money. At around 175k I did a ring job, struts all around. Has had all new front end parts, a subframe swap. Last few years it got an annual synthetic oil change the day after I was surprised it passed state inspection and I got to keep it on the road.
lol.gif

I have a transmission for it, even. It just seems a better use of my time to search for something newer.

But, sigh, this has to go. Any ideas what 2006 ish models depreciate like crazy and flatter my miserly ways? I might wind up in a focus wagon, for example.

Ouch. You have clearly given that ride its full measure of devotion. For the next one, something of which there are zillions on the road? Sorry I've no idea about what lasts longer with respect to rust.

It's always sad to say goodbye to an old friend who has served you well. If you got 100k miles out of it for $800, you did extraordinarily well. Think of all the good times and say goodbye.

BTW, I really wanted a Focus wagon too but had to settle for a Taurus wagon...

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Depreciation? Dodge Caliber, perhaps?

I am seeing a lot of these at buy-here-pay-here. And impalas.

Also, my registration is up at the end of Sept, and today's my youngest kid's last day at day-care. He starts all-day Kindergarden soon and I stop paying that monthly bill. So as timing goes, it's okay. I did just fill the tank but I can pump that back out into other stuff.
wink.gif

frown.gif
The rear sill rust is what did in our '94 SL2. Sounds like you've gotten your money's worth though.
smile.gif

Cobalts can be had on the cheap end around here (assuming another cheap s-series is out) if a sedan is acceptable. Can't speak for a MT Cobalt but the fuel economy comparison for the AT Cobalt over the S-series is sort of disappointing.

I like the cobalt and focus purely because they have 4x100 rims and I already have some pizza cutter snow tires mounted on steelies.

But I can get tires and rims easily enough.

32.gif
Didn't Nick get some bargain focus for $12999 a year or two ago? I was just checking a local dealer for (gulp) new ones and they're all $20k+!

^ The last time you could get a "cheap", new Focus, was the '10-'11 model years. Everyone knew the '12 major (much-mo-betta) design was coming, and there were discounts on the current models. I doubt Nick got his for $12999. I thought he had an SES (I did as well)? They stickered for >$20K.

They might have had cheaper focii before the Fiesta came out, but they want the CAFE points from the Fiesta now, is how I see it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
57.gif
57.gif
57.gif

I didn't want to add to the "Is my Camry worth fixing" thread.

Bought my 95 SW1 in 2003 with 142k miles. I paid $800.
banana2.gif
Now, at 240k, it won't shift into first gear.

If the rest of it were in good shape I'd fix it, but, it actually turns out many other systems are also dysfunctional.

The radio changes to preset #3 when I jar it, typically with a tire-chirping gear from 1st to 2nd. I just put my favorite station in "3".
laugh.gif

The flange rearward of the catalytic convertor rusted to bits. I replaced it with a couple inches of pipe. If either the cat or the mid pipe needs service, it will require butchery. Also the front flexpipe is its own unit, which I bought 6 months before buying a replacement cat, which I could have gotten attached to... drumroll... a flexpipe.
mad.gif

Also, the driver's window is off the track. If I "help" it seal in a parking lot it won't whistle. If I roll it up from a toll booth etc it leaks air and drives everyone nuts.

DSC_0163_zps2fc52f00.jpg

The headliner is held up with pushpins.

DSC_0162_zps07655a90.jpg

The driver's seat doesn't match, it was replaced due to saggy foam in the original.

DSC_0161_zps21098e76.jpg

The paint's flaking off the liftgate. It was repaired/ repainted by a body shop. IDK if a factory liftgate is "plastic" or painted or ???

DSC_0160_zps6551906a.jpg

Both rear door sills are rust city. I was looking into patch panels when the transmission thing happened.

DSC_0164_zpsd3cd99ff.jpg

I'm not afraid to invest money. At around 175k I did a ring job, struts all around. Has had all new front end parts, a subframe swap. Last few years it got an annual synthetic oil change the day after I was surprised it passed state inspection and I got to keep it on the road.
lol.gif

I have a transmission for it, even. It just seems a better use of my time to search for something newer.

But, sigh, this has to go. Any ideas what 2006 ish models depreciate like crazy and flatter my miserly ways? I might wind up in a focus wagon, for example.

Its a Saturn. It was doomed the day you bought it. Just took you awhile to figure it out.

Buy the newest/least mileage Camry or Corolla you can find for the money you have to spend.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Its a Saturn. It was doomed the day you bought it. Just took you awhile to figure it out.

Buy the newest/least mileage Camry or Corolla you can find for the money you have to spend.

Great! Post some links to $800 Toyotas that will last 11 more Maine winters.

Just read that the Pope drives a Focus around Vatican city and he's in South Korea now riding in a Kia Soul.
wink.gif

There's a dealer up here with new Souls for $12999... My boss just got one and there's a huge plastic tray under the floor pan, loosely bolted in place. Looks like a rust trapping magnet.
frown.gif

The car is cute but the trunk/ hatchback is tiny.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Why all the Saturn hate? (serious question - I see this comment all the time but have never seen where your disdain comes from)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back