Mazda's upcoming Mazda2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great engine but that is not a great compact car IMHO. Not my favorite rental with its current motor/chassis. That is a tough price bracket and size to make a great car.

From personal experience, the required emission systems in the U.S. needed to reduce Nox and particulates are too complex and take away from the benefits of diesels. Plus I have to admit with direct injection and variable valve timing, gasoline engines are catching up.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Great engine but that is not a great compact car IMHO. Not my favorite rental with its current motor/chassis. That is a tough price bracket and size to make a great car.

That is a completely new platform on its way, not what you have driven.

Given what Mazda has been able to do with the 3 and 6, here's hoping they can punt the 2 up into the high 40's on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Toyota and Mazda formed a partnership. A new Toyota subcompact will use the chassis and engine from the new Mazda 2.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_new_toyot...l?__federated=1

So Toyota is buying a Mazda and slapping a badge on it...

I'm happy for Mazda, the more cars they sell the better, but this seems kind of pathetic for Toyota.

toyota striving to improve the quality of their product offerings is a good thing.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
toyota striving to improve the quality of their product offerings is a good thing.

If Toyota has to outsource the complete design and manufacturing of a vehicle to another company in the name of improving quality, what does that say about vehicles actually engineered by Toyota?

I'm not saying that Toyota can't build a good car, I'm saying what's odd is that a company once known for high quality small cars has to buy small cars from another company in order to sell high quality small cars in their own showrooms.

This smells of GM, except that GM has never had a history of class leading compact vehicles. I'm not sure what Toyota's excuse is.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I hope they make the thing with a usable back seat! The current 2 has an unusable back seat.

Feel free to visit a Mazda dealer at the beginning of the year.
Check out the new Miata while you're there, too.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I hope they make the thing with a usable back seat! The current 2 has an unusable back seat.

BC.

I can't fit in one unless the top is open :p

If I go to a Mazda dealer, I'll likely walk out with a CX-5 anyway.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

BC.

I can't fit in one unless the top is open :p

If I go to a Mazda dealer, I'll likely walk out with a CX-5 anyway.

I don't really see an issue with either of those scenarios.
Driving around in a Miata with the top down all the time, or driving off in a CX-5.
I'm actually hoping the new Miata comes with a smidge more head and leg room.

BC.

I thought the 2 was just a rebadged Toyota Yaris hatchback? The two cars look almost identical...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back