Rotella T1 Straight 30 Weight:: Who Sells It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to put it in my tractor. Looked online at what Wally World sells, didn't have straight 30 wt. Do you know who does sell it? Thanks.

Tractor Supply. In NE Texas, the old-school small engine mechanics have never warmed up to multiweight oil for lawn mowers, etc, & all still recommend straight 30 wt or even 40 wt. I know one in particular who uses nothing but Rotella straight 30 wt. Very good stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

Napa. If your local store doesn't stock it, they can order it and have it the following day. It is stocked at all 55 distribution centers.

Dave

all western Canadian province truck stop have it .usually found in tractor farming area

here is shell word on the t1 sae variant
DDC series 53, 71, 92 2-cycle diesel engines
API CF-2, SAE 40, SAE 50 (SAE 30 when below 32º F ambient temperature Shell Rotella® T1 SAE 40, 50
(Shell Rotella® T1 SAE 30)
great oil by the way just was never updated in certification

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Tractor Supply. In NE Texas, the old-school small engine mechanics have never warmed up to multiweight oil for lawn mowers, etc, & all still recommend straight 30 wt or even 40 wt. I know one in particular who uses nothing but Rotella straight 30 wt. Very good stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

Count me in that group of people who haven't warmed to multiweight oil for outdoor power equipment. I have a Wheel Horse with a cast iron Kohler engine, 1984, that went 29 years before an overhaul. And it didn't break, throw a rod, or anything catastrophic. Just starting burning a quart every 10 hours and compression dropped. The lowering compression made it harder to cut through the high stuff. I ran it for those 29 years on straight 30 wt. And plan on using it again. Considering there's no oil filter on these engines, that's pretty good longevity. I'm sure this latest overhaul will outlive me.

Last edited:
Just to throw something else out there, Amsoil has a straight 30w, TBN 12, CI-4+, CF. Supposedly flows well enough in cold weather to qualify as a 10w30. They have the same thing in their 4-stroke small engine section.

If you really want a straight 30 diesel engine oil, don't wait until you find a source for Shell. Chevron and all the rest are just as good. My local NAPA franchise store sells Chevron Delo 100 30 wt, and it is a fine oil for its purpose (my case used in my 12 hp Tecumseh chipper engine). Mobil Delvac and all the other reliable brand names will work just as well. The main usage for these oils is old Detroit two-stroke diesels in the winter. Find an auto parts store where owners of old heavy equipment shop.

Advance Auto has it. That in mind, is having a monograde SAE30 CF/CF-2 oil really an advantage over a multiviscosity oil with a CJ4 rating?

Warmed to? What does that mean? Do you have technical or specific objections or just prefer to live 30 years behind the times?

I never can understand the fascination with straight weight oils compared to modern multi-viscosity ones. What benefits do you perceive for a straight weight? I can only think of negatives.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
Count me in that group of people who haven't warmed to multiweight oil for outdoor power equipment. I have a Wheel Horse with a cast iron Kohler engine, 1984, that went 29 years before an overhaul. And it didn't break, throw a rod, or anything catastrophic. Just starting burning a quart every 10 hours and compression dropped. The lowering compression made it harder to cut through the high stuff. I ran it for those 29 years on straight 30 wt. And plan on using it again. Considering there's no oil filter on these engines, that's pretty good longevity. I'm sure this latest overhaul will outlive me.

Straight weight oil is proven to have a thicker lubrication layer than multi viscosity oils! Besides that many small engines are engineered to have higher piston to liner tolerances when cold than modern automotive engines. Go figure. Oil consumption will be higher cold on multi vicosity oil than with straight oils. If the later matters? Deposits on valves ect. Never mind they were made to run straight.
In the end the choice is yours.

Motorsen

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Warmed to? What does that mean? Do you have technical or specific objections or just prefer to live 30 years behind the times?

I never can understand the fascination with straight weight oils compared to modern multi-viscosity ones. What benefits do you perceive for a straight weight? I can only think of negatives.

To make a multi viscosity oil, the higher the viscosity, ie 5W50, needs more viscosity improvers than 10W30, the improvers negatively affect lubrication and can sheer down. Straight weight oil has no viscosity additive, more oil less additives.

In a very extreme circumstance when you look inside a 2 stroke Detroit that was run with 15W40 vs. SAE40, will have oil in the intake and exhaust ports with 15W40, cleaner with SAE40. I'm seeing better oil control with straight weight oils.

The only benefit I see to multi viscosity oils is cold starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back