Phone Call With Wix and Learned Some Things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: stickybuns
Wish Wix would put that filter media in car oil filters. Great numbers, best I've ever seen in fact, except for MicroGreen car oil filters.

I'm hoping that's what they make the NAPA Platinum out of.

Wix XP and NAPA Platinum (same oil filter) have about the worst efficiency of anything.
They are 50% @ 20 microns. Not good at all.
Compare that to Fram TG = 99%@20 and Fram Ultra the same. Ultra holds more though.

Wish Wix would put that filter media in car oil filters. Great numbers, best I've ever seen in fact, except for MicroGreen car oil filters.

Wix XP and NAPA Platinum (same oil filter) have about the worst efficiency of anything.
Compare that to Fram TG = 99%@20 and Fram Ultra the same. Ultra holds more though.

But we don't know this for sure, there's no documented proof that I know of Just speculation.

But we don't know this for sure, there's no documented proof that I know of Just speculation.

Sure it's documented. Go look up a WIX XP for your car on WIX's website, and look at the listed beta ratio.

Example:
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51042XP

Beta Ratio: B2=20 ... means 50% @ 20 microns.

Also, many here have called WIX Tech line to verify if 50% @ 20 microns is accurate, and the guys at WIX say yes it is.

I'm talking about the NP,,show me a link with that info.

Since regular WIX and NAPA Golds claim the same media & efficiency, then the same logic should hold true for NAPA Platinum and WIX XP. Maybe you can call/email NAPA and ask the question, or call WIX and ask if the media is the same in the NAPA Platinum.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: badtlc

I have only seen efficiencies for the Ultra, nothing else.

Go to the Fram website and it lists the efficiency for all their filters.

And the Ultras for my 2 applications DO NOT have the capacity for 15k based on Fram's published data. They probably aren't 99% efficient either.

Where are you looking to conclude this?

The Fram website. You can look up specific filters for your vehicle, FYI. I guess some don't know about that feature.

Your statements about their filter lines are just in general. All of their products are not the same. You need to lookup specific filters to see what it is rated for in your application.

Just going by Fram's general data, the TG is 99% too. Why is everyone spending money on the Ultra?

So what's the takeaway for the non-technically inclined reader? Specifically, is the Wix 57002/Napa/Carquest filter the one to use if the OEM Mazda one is unavailable?

If not, what's a better filter to use? And does it matter if it's made specifically for the Skyactiv engine or not?

Originally Posted By: jdeare
So what's the takeaway for the non-technically inclined reader? Specifically, is the Wix 57002/Napa/Carquest filter the one to use if the OEM Mazda one is unavailable?

If not, what's a better filter to use? And does it matter if it's made specifically for the Skyactiv engine or not?

Choose Fram Ultra first. If you can't find or don't want that one, choose Fram ToughGuard as a second choice. If you don't like Fram because of whatever reason you might have, then go for Wix or Nap-Gold. This is all because of published/known performance data. Silicon adbvs in those too, pick that.

There is nothing about the Skyactiv engine that would exclude any Fram or Wix-NAPA gold filter.

Originally Posted By: jdeare

In general, Wix's filters will be as good or better than the OEM part.

For the Mazda, 57002 is just as good as the OEM but you know what you are getting with the Wix (95% @ 20u) but at least at my dealer, the OEM filter is around $6.60 and a couple dollars cheaper than the 57002.

Your statements about their filter lines are just in general. All of their products are not the same. You need to lookup specific filters to see what it is rated for in your application.

Can you give a link to an example. When I look up a filter for a specific vehicle, I don't see any efficiency info at all.

Just look at a 2007 Escape XLS. The ultra specifically says 10k, not 15k. Actually, the same is true for my mazda, too.

Just look at a 2007 Escape XLS. The ultra specifically says 10k, not 15k. Actually, the same is true for my mazda, too.

Looked at the XG3600, which is the longer version of the XG3614 used on the Escape. It, too, states 10k mile service.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418

Looked at the XG3600, which is the longer version of the XG3614 used on the Escape. It, too, states 10k mile service.

Are you referencing the pop-up that says this:
Xtended Guard (XG)

10k Mile Engine Protection

Specially engineered filtering media reinforced in two plies and reinforced with a metal screen provides up to 10k miles of engine protection.
High Capacity - traps and holds more than double the dirt of leading economy oil filters average.

The problem is this is the old Xtended Guard (XG) version, not the Ultra. The website is bad about this and I would suggest confirming it by looking at the box in the store, not the Fram website. Even when searching the web, like on Amazon you get widely different results on the specs depending on if they are referencing the old Xtended Guard or the new Ultra - it is really confusing.

Last edited:

That has nothing to do with the efficiency rating. I though you were talking about efficiency, not use mileage rating. As said above, those pop-ups are erroneously referencing the old "Xtended Guard" specs.

If you want to see the more accurate specs on Fram's filters you should be looking at this:

http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/all-oil-filters.aspx

Fram IT guys need to update the website to show the correct pop-up info for the Ultra line of filters. I haven't checked, but the TG pop-ups might not match the current TG specs either.

If the filter-specific popup says 15k, then I'll believe 15k.

When they put the famous weasel words 'up to' in the description, it tells me that some models in some applications might be good for that length of service, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about every application.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
If the filter-specific popup says 15k, then I'll believe 15k.

When they put the famous weasel words 'up to' in the description, it tells me that some models in some applications might be good for that length of service, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about every application.

It could also mean that the filter will not go 15K miles in some super sludged up engine, or some engine used in the Baja 500. Gotta use some common sense when deciding how long to run an oil filter based on the vehicle and driving conditions/style. A filter maker has not way to control or predict that in every individual case.

I'm talking about the NP,,show me a link with that info.

Since regular WIX and NAPA Golds claim the same media & efficiency, then the same logic should hold true for NAPA Platinum and WIX XP. Maybe you can call/email NAPA and ask the question, or call WIX and ask if the media is the same in the NAPA Platinum.

Probably a waist of time, sure would b nice to now for certain on them two, I have a few in stock may be returning them for a puro synthetic.

Originally Posted By: telecat
I'm not impressed with WIX's technical information on their products.
Buy a Fram.

I have, and I have also bought WIX and NAPA Golds in the past. They aren't a bad filter, but not as good as the Ultra. I would never buy a WIX XP or NAPA Platinum ... you should know why.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: telecat
I'm not impressed with WIX's technical information on their products.
Buy a Fram.

I have, and I have also bought WIX and NAPA Golds in the past. They aren't a bad filter, but not as good as the Ultra. I would never buy a WIX XP or NAPA Platinum ... you should know why.
grin.gif

Because they are rock catchers?
banana2.gif
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back