Great Video on Compounding & Polishing by KB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Brown and Larry Kosilla teamed up, and put together a great video on compounding and polishing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUdnj4CVFmQ

After recently attending a class that was taught by Kevin Brown and Jason Rose, IMO, these two guys have pretty much "written the book" on modern paint correction techniques.

I highly recommend watching the first 15 minutes of this video; you will probably learn a lot more from this video than from reading most online forums.

Although they were using a large-throw DA and Meguiars pads/products, their strategies and techniques are applicable to most other brands of products on the market today.

Last edited:
That is amazing! He kept saying this is a 5 figure detaling job.....is that true?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
That is amazing! He kept saying this is a 5 figure detaling job.....is that true?

While I'm sure Kevin Brown can command top dollar, I'm afraid they are embellishing immensely. 10k+ for a wet sand and polish? That is extremely far fetched. What does he charge? $250 per hour for 40 hours? IF it really did take 40 hours, it was because they talked for about 20 of them. Especially since they used a machine for the wet sanding. Obviously, this was a promo, but Fox bodies are pretty small and pretty flat.

Now to do the same job on a Ferrari or Lambo that has hundreds of tiny panels, angles and scoops? I could see that getting up there in price. Besides, those types of people would pay it.

I didn't watch the other videos in the series, but it is pretty humorous to tout a 10k+ detail on a car worth about 4k.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33

While I'm sure Kevin Brown can command top dollar, I'm afraid they are embellishing immensely. 10k+ for a wet sand and polish? That is extremely far fetched. What does he charge? $250 per hour for 40 hours? IF it really did take 40 hours, it was because they talked for about 20 of them. Especially since they used a machine for the wet sanding. Obviously, this was a promo, but Fox bodies are pretty small and pretty flat.

Now to do the same job on a Ferrari or Lambo that has hundreds of tiny panels, angles and scoops? I could see that getting up there in price. Besides, those types of people would pay it.

I didn't watch the other videos in the series, but it is pretty humorous to tout a 10k+ detail on a car worth about 4k.

It's very possible that they were going for 95%+ perfection, so 15-20 of those were probably from the compounding and polishing. Another 10-20 for sanding does not seem that far out of line.

With that said, I doubt the 10k figure is true. Even the best pros have a tough time getting more than $75/hr, so realistically we're probably talking about a 3k job.

A few of the pros that I know try to avoid these projects like the plague; but if they have to quote one, they usually throw out a ridiculous figure to get the client to go away.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Zeus33

It's very possible that they were going for 95%+ perfection, so 15-20 of those were probably from the compounding and polishing. Another 10-20 for sanding does not seem that far out of line.

With that said, I doubt the 10k figure is true. Even the best pros have a tough time getting more than $75/hr, so realistically we're probably talking about a 3k job.

A few of the pros that I know try to avoid these projects like the plague; but if they have to quote one, they usually throw out a ridiculous figure to get the client to go away.

Most if they are going to spend in that figure is trust in the detailer reputation. But also Value of the vehicle involved.

High end showroom vehicles($100,000-$200,000+) to maintain it's value. Those who have $$ with high end Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Lexus it goes with their status in their career and social function. They'll spend the $$ because it's a positive investment in their status..$800 was an investment you need to see other views rather than the vehicle itself.

The average Joe views his vehicle as transportation but of course most want a decent shine. Most keep their vehicles so many years but those that maintain the bitoger, the interior and exterior have a higher resale value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back