Honda OEM Filtech oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are these filters as compared to other aftermarket ones that are considered good - like WIX, STP, Motorcraft, Purolator, etc..
Anybody have any filtration, flow, design information about these filters ?

Most of the Honda filters we are taking off at the shop appear to be the Honeywell (Fram) type now. I am seeing less and less Denso. I think most of the dealers use the Honeywell while the OEM is Denso, I may be wrong though.

The Filtech filters are, IMHO, the best OEM filter maker that Honda uses right now. These filters are made in the USA by the Tokyo Roki company of Japan (Filtech is their subsidiary). They have also been a big OEM supplier to Mazda for many years.

Flow and filtration numbers on these I don't have unfortunately.

I found the posting to the Prelude List on the history of Honda filters:

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?p=2038442

This deals with the Toyo Roki filters, but not the other makers such as Tennex and Tsuchiya.

Since it's pretty hard to tell what you're getting without a scorecard, I'd recommend an aftermarket filter of known quality.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/

"In the low-priced group, the AC PF, Purolator PremiumPlus, STP, and SuperTech appear to be good choices. These four filters are "best buys" because they doing most things well and are in the low-priced group."

"In the mid-priced group, the Baldwin and WIX appear to be good choices. Both have construction that is excellent."

"In the high-priced group, the Amsoil, Mobil 1, Fram XG, and K&N appear to be good choices."

The person at the parts counter at the honda dealer said that one is made by Filtech and the other is made by "Westinghouse"(??)

I would have trusted them except when I asked the same question to another guy next day he said they are made by the same manufacturer!

btw I called filtech and they outrightly denied to share any such technical information with me.
makes you wonder why ?

"....I would have trusted them except when I asked the same question to another guy next day he said they are made by the same manufacturer!

the person at a dealer parts counter would be useless for such info, if you believed him it's your own fault. Why not ask the oil monkey in the shop too? How about the kid delivering pizzas? He's just as likely to know....

"I called filtech and they outrightly denied to share any such technical information with me.
makes you wonder why ?

and i am not surprised they wouldn't tell you. call up any company and ask this sort of question and you'll probably get the same response.

it's proprietary info, that's why.

these people have real businesses to run and spending time chit-chatting with oil hobbyists isn't a productive use of people's time.

slow down dude. no need to get so worked up.

When there is lack of information you just try to tap all sources.

quote:

it's proprietary info, that's why.

Whats so 'special' proprietary about it ? Especially when there are like a dozen aftermarket replacement (probably better in most cases) of the same part ?!

quote:

these people have real businesses to run and spending time chit-chatting with oil hobbyists isn't a productive use of people's time.

more the reason why they should simply post it up on their website/catalog/brochure and be done with it.

Honeywell, not Westinghouse. Honeywell is the parent company of FRAM and Prestone, among other things. (Now you know why that parts counterman will never rise above floor sweep, 2nd class, at his next promotion.)

Hi, this is my fisrt post here. Anyway, my wife has a 97 Honda Civic. We took it to the dealer back in April to do the 60,000 mile service. When I changed the oil later, I noticed the dealer used a longer, skinnier filter than what most references indicate. This was a Honda filter, 4T22. The filter was MUCH easier to remove than the standard. Does anyone know what this filter translates to as far as a purolator or something like that? Which Honda vehicles use a 4T22 filter?

Honda has altered the internals, and suppliers, on its filters over the years without any significant change in the external appearance.

Many of the current crop of replacement filters are Fram filters, which are nothing special.

For example, in this older comparison:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

you'll see one made in Japan and one made in Canada, and the one made in Canada is internally a Fram filter.

4T22 isn't a Honda part number.

A Honda oil filter will have five numerics, a dash, an Alpha-Alpha-Numeric, a dash, and three numerics.

Examples:

15400-PR3-405

15400-PFB-004

Their aftermarket filters, Hamp brand, add an H prefix:

H1540-PLC-004

The Filtech filters are very well made. I trust them more than any after-market filter. They have their own part number (A01?), so you clearly know if you are getting one or not. There is a lot of information if you search the forum. I sold my Honda about a year ago, but from what I remember, all we got down here was the Filtech. Those closer to Canada are probably more likely to get the Fram-made filter.

Don't know what design information you are looking for, but I have not heard of any OEM supplying its design information, at least to consumers. As I understand it, even the after-market suppliers have to reverse engineer an equivalent filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back