Looking to buy Explorer with 3rd row, uncertain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: wsar10

I was very disappointed to find NO "transmission fluid dipstick" thats why I want them to fix the leak, if I could monitor the fluid level I could deal with a wet TC as it does not drip.

Look up how to do it on the F150. There is a dipstick - it's hidden under a nut on the side of the trans. Not ideal but it can at least be checked.

I have been looking around and found reference to the "mini" dipstick location.....

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

It cant get a whole lot worse when you go to change plugs and end needing work done on the heads......what a [censored] poor design flaw.

True, but there are various extraction tools (like the Snap-On one) designed to get the bottom of the plug out once it breaks without you having to pull the head. Similar to when the 2V's launched plugs, originally you had to replace the head and eventually the Lock-N-Stitch kit happened which installs an fully threaded insert with nothing needing to be removed from the vehicle.

Quote:
Anyway we are purchasing the 06 in the below link pending a TC leak being fixed. We paid 9,900 and purchased a 3yr/38k mi warranty for an extra 1,800 bucks. It was a 2 owner and seems clean as a whistle.....NOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD OIL FOR THE MOTOR !!

http://www.familyautollc.net/vehicle.asp?d=14050000&s=F0960

Great choice! I'd advise M1 AFE 0w-20 if it calls for a 5w-20.

It specs a 5-30, I'm really trying to find an excuse to use T6....I have a few gallons of it and I have become a huge Rotella fan or else I always seem to end up with engine that Rotella works well in.

I was kinda thinking if it specs 30wt, that may shear to a 20wt...If I go 40wt HDEO it will never shear that low and do a good job maintaining higher oil pressure. Back to our TC conversation, it's my understanding that a huge part of the 4.0 issue was the tensioners which are hydraulic and spring held.........(unproven and just a theory)my thoughts were the reason for these failures could be one of two things. 1) the 4.0 does not have adequate oil pressure in ALL scenarios with 20-30wt oils.....allowing the tensioners to void away from the chains
2)people just dont change there oil properly or use dino oil for a synthetic OCI, in turn causing sludge to block the oil passages that set the tensioners

I know I can put about any synthetic in it and be set to go, but what works better is the debate.....

We use M1 AFE 0w-30 in our Expedition. If you want something a bit heavier, M1 0w-40 is probably a "better" choice than the T6 for a gas app like this, assuming we are talking about a 5w-40.

yeah 5-40.....
What say you about the iron levels with M1 (not trying to open a can of worms by asking) on most of the 4.0 UOA's I could actually find, the Mobil seemed to show double ppm of Iron vs other oils ??

Ive seen this with JEEP's 242 also.

yeah 5-40.....
What say you about the iron levels with M1 (not trying to open a can of worms by asking) on most of the 4.0 UOA's I could actually find, the Mobil seemed to show double ppm of Iron vs other oils ??

Ive seen this with JEEP's 242 also.

I don't think anything of it. And if you go and check out any of the recent M1 0w-40 UOA's you won't see that trend anyway.

smile.gif

The tranny behind the V6 (5r55) does not have a dipstick - regular or mini. The 6r60/6r80 (that is now in the F150) that is behind the 06-10 V8's in the Explorer does have a "mini" dipstick.

As far as oil goes, past experience is that any name brand 5w30 will work just fine.

The basic process is to drive it till the transmission fluid is up to temp. Unscrew the "drain" plug. If it pours out,the transmission is overfilled. If nothing comes out, its underfilled. If it slowly drips, its just right. Kind of like a differential.

If you need to fill it, there is an adapter that screws on to pump fluid in. Plenty of youtube videos that show how.

I have just started researching this, since when a new (to me) vehicle comes home ALL the fluids come out to be replaced with my over thought, over researched choice's !

that being said how do I drain the fluid ? I wanna pull the pan and do the filter and fluid, but it would be nice to drain before pulling the pan, or is this impossible ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back