Best stop leak for a very minor head gasket leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried the Ac Delco tabs and they don't seem to work. It leaks on the back corner of the engine a very very small amount. It'll not leak for a little while then randomly leak a little. What would work best for this issue it'd on the saturn

I use seal all I think is the name Orielys has it.Its not compatible with anti freeze so you would have to flush it well.I pinch off the heater hoses and drive it for a couple days and then drain and fill.K W makes something similar.

I've used Bar's Stop Leak in a 2001 Windstar that had a blown head gasket and it completely stopped the leak. That's what I'd recommend, at least. Before using the stop leak, the oil looked like a milkshake. I changed the oil and kept monitoring it and so far the oil has stayed nice and clean and the coolant hasn't gone down. I think they've put about 5,000 miles on it since the "fix", and so far so good.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
I always take the rad hose off and pour it directly in so its not in the coolant tank.

Good idea!

if its a very small amount I'd do nothing and top it off.

This is one of those things where you seem to be fixing it till it dies.

It sounds like an external leak by your description. Personally I wouldn't touch any kind of stop leak with a 10 foot pole. I've seen what it can do to heater cores, coolant passages in the cylinder head, radiators, etc, and will cause more problems than you have now. If it isn't a big leak I would just top off the coolant once in a while. Much easier and cheaper than the problems stop leak will create.

Post a pic of the big outlet nipple on top of the cylinder head when you take the hose off. I bet it's all lumpy, nasty, and the source of your leak.

Well, I don't really recommend mechanics in a bottle products often but I know along time ago my ulte used a liquid glass. This was many years ago but it seemed to work well.

Don't remember the brand tho.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Post a pic of the big outlet nipple on top of the cylinder head when you take the hose off. I bet it's all lumpy, nasty, and the source of your leak.

Do you mean where the hose connects?

Originally Posted By: cronk
Is this a single cam Saturn?
They are known for the intake gasket failing and leaking coolant.
Not to hard or expensive of a job.

And I believe it was the dohc cars that would leak coolant at the intake

Originally Posted By: cronk
Nope, single cams were the common intake leakers.
My best friend is a mechanic and has done a half dozen, all single cams.

Aren't those usually air leaks though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back