Polaris hawkeye carb problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 06 polaris hawkeye that's seems to be running rough. Anytime your running down a trail at about quarter throttle or so the engine will stumble several times and kind bog down. If you open it up to about half throttle it will stop doing it.

I pulled the spark plug to take a look at it and its sooted up pretty good. Looks to me like its running too rich. It also seems to be harder on fuel than it used to be.

I was reading on one of the atv forums that one solution was drill holes in the air box to allow more air in. I'm not about to do that because of possible water inundation. I took the lid off of the air box instead and tried running it. I could hardly get above 1/3 throttle or so before it bogged out. It wouldn't run any faster than about 20 mph or so before it lost power.

I'm not sure if there are any adjustments that can be made on the carb or not. Kinda hard to see it the ways it mounted. Seems other guys were re jetting to solve their issues. Maybe that's what needs done?

I like to start with the basics on something like this. That is, fresh spark plug, maybe an iridium plug if compatible, fresh fuel, clean air filter. I use non-ethanol fuel in smaller engines.

After that I like to try a carb cleaning with a mix of starting fluid and carb cleaner. I remove the air cleaner and give it alternating light squirts while the engine is running. I do this enough to give it a chance to work.

The carb is most likely gummed up. Have to take carb off, take all jets out and throughly clean them, especially the pilot jet. Pilot jet gummed is probably what the problem is.

This is assuming you have owned this a while and it previously ran fine.

I ended up going from a 140 jet to a 137.5 on the main jet.

It seems to be running better but its lacking power on the top end. Doesn't seem to wind out like it used to. The carb is clean though. Needle jet is clear.

The carb had been jetted bigger though by one of my family members. They thought it was running lean because it was getting hot so it was messed with. The only reason it was getting hot though was because of lack of airflow around the engine. So I'm just trying to get it back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back