Truck Double Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
That is where what I did with my current semi truck worthwhile. The EPA ties the emissions to the year the engine is made, not the vehicle. So, my 2013 semi truck has a factory rebuilt 2000 Detroit Series 60 pre-egr diesel engine. Perfectly legal, titled, and runs every week over several states. And with the "tweaks" I have done over and above the OEM design, the truck exceeds the trucking industry average mpg values by about 20%, while knocking the socks off many of the newer emissions equipped trucks on a hard pull.

The same thing could be done with pickups, if the OEM would offer a pickup minus the engine option, or "glider" truck as they are called in commercial trucking circles. One could get a 2014 pickup and drop in a pre-egr diesel engine that would mate with it. Wouldn't work for those in California, only because CARB has it's own schizophrenic thing going on.

Unfortunately, I do not think the emission and safety laws on light-duty trucks permit it.
frown.gif
(I don't even think it would be legal in a class 6 or 7 MDT.)

Too bad, because a new Super Duty or Ram with a 1998.5-2003 Cummins would be SWEET!

Freightliner offer the M2 business class chassis to do just exactly what I mentioned. Class 6 and 7 depending on specs.

You can build a kit car or pickup in your garage and put just about any engine in it, depending on state regulations. All it has to do is meet DOT requirements to operate on the roadway. All that what I did was Freightliner offered an assembled "kit", or glider truck. I just stuck the engine and trans in it and basically had a kit truck, ready to go to work. it meets Federal and State DOT requirements. EPA allows this to be done. If you wanted to build a rod kit car, you could, and use an engine from 1968 to complete it out, depending on state level requirements.

The only fly in the ointment here, is that none of the pickup OEM's are offering an assembled "kit" truck for someone to do this like the heavy truck OEM's do. It is legal, they just don't offer it thru their parts stream.

My daily driver is a Ridgeline.
Best of both worlds and covers
the bases I need covered!
Best Cruck I ever had!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That is where what I did with my current semi truck worthwhile. The EPA ties the emissions to the year the engine is made, not the vehicle. So, my 2013 semi truck has a factory rebuilt 2000 Detroit Series 60 pre-egr diesel engine. Perfectly legal, titled, and runs every week over several states. And with the "tweaks" I have done over and above the OEM design, the truck exceeds the trucking industry average mpg values by about 20%, while knocking the socks off many of the newer emissions equipped trucks on a hard pull.

The same thing could be done with pickups, if the OEM would offer a pickup minus the engine option, or "glider" truck as they are called in commercial trucking circles. One could get a 2014 pickup and drop in a pre-egr diesel engine that would mate with it. Wouldn't work for those in California, only because CARB has it's own schizophrenic thing going on.

Unfortunately, I do not think the emission and safety laws on light-duty trucks permit it.
frown.gif
(I don't even think it would be legal in a class 6 or 7 MDT.)

Too bad, because a new Super Duty or Ram with a 1998.5-2003 Cummins would be SWEET!

Freightliner offer the M2 business class chassis to do just exactly what I mentioned. Class 6 and 7 depending on specs.

As I said: nobody offers a MDT as a glider! (I drive one every day, and the Fruitliner M2 is not a truck, it's a long-wheelbase Yugo!)

Quote:
You can build a kit car or pickup in your garage and put just about any engine in it, depending on state regulations. All it has to do is meet DOT requirements to operate on the roadway. All that what I did was Freightliner offered an assembled "kit", or glider truck. I just stuck the engine and trans in it and basically had a kit truck, ready to go to work. it meets Federal and State DOT requirements. EPA allows this to be done. If you wanted to build a rod kit car, you could, and use an engine from 1968 to complete it out, depending on state level requirements.

The only fly in the ointment here, is that none of the pickup OEM's are offering an assembled "kit" truck for someone to do this like the heavy truck OEM's do. It is legal, they just don't offer it thru their parts stream.

Wish they did...of course, that would lead to the EPA closing that loophole.
frown.gif

I didn't say anything in approval regarding the M2. I wouldn't have one either, primarily because it would not be up to snuff for what I need to do with a commercial truck. I only have need for class 8. The point being made elsewhere is that a glider probably is not offered as a class 6 or 7 truck. It is.

Yeah, we all are wondering how long it will take EPA to make a move against glider trucks and reusing pre emission engines. The IRS is already getting on it. By doing the glider route, if you used two rebuilt out of three major components of the drive train... engine, trans, drive axles... you could also avoid the Federal excise tax on new equipment. That alone saved me almost $20,000 on the price of my current truck. Well, we all know the main focus of any government action is all about the money, so the IRS is plugging up the excise tax exemption. Not sure if they are totally disavowing the exemption, but it is sure on their radar in a big way.

Originally Posted By: RichR
Best Cruck I ever had!

My nephew has one of those. It's a SWEET truck!

Whip my answer to you would be because Americana has taught us that bigger is better.

This fella would tell you otherwise.

Likewise this Ford Ranger owner.

Originally Posted By: RichR
Best Cruck I ever had!

I agree with you 100%. Fantastic vehicle. Beautifully functional and well built. I'm averaging about 20mpg with my mixed (mostly highway) driving.
Truck? Pickup? SUV? Minivan? (hardly)....whatever people want to call it matters little to me. As an all around utility vehicle, it's perfect for my lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back