Why is Motorcraft filter better than Purolator Prem Plus???

Status
Not open for further replies.
To begin, here is a photo of a Purolator Premium Plus L30001. Notice that it has a dome-end bypass valve.

Here is a photo of a Motorcraft FL-1A. It has a threaded-end bypass valve.

The advantage of a threaded-end bypass is that the oil doesn't have to wash over the dirt-laden element before entering the valve unfiltered... which is why Ford specifies a threaded-end bypass valve for its oil filters.

The Motorcraft also has larger baseplate openings, and appears to be optimized for flow over the already good-flowing Purolator. Some allege that the Motorcraft has the same filter element as the Purolator PureOne, but I haven't seen any proof of that.

Notice that they both have the telltale Purolator string around the filter element.

I'm sure others will fill in more details!

smile.gif

Silicone ADBV, usually threaded end bypass if applicable. If you have a Ford, they are actually easier to find.

-T

So, has anybody put a tape measure to the media in each? Give me the Motorcraft cross from an ST 3950 or L 10193, and I will run one on my truck and report back. I am less happy with the ST 3950 since they went to a dome end clicker.

There are Ford filters that do not have "S" in the part number that DO have a silicone ADBV.

The reason is, I believe, because those filters that do have an S in the part number (FL-400S and FL-820S are all that I know about) were once available without a silicone ADBV, and the S was added to identify the new, improved model. (I believe the silicone ADBV was added to the FL-820S in 1995 or 1996, and that filter dates back to 1991 when it was introduced along with the 4.6L V8 that it fits).

Apparently, those that have a silicone ADBV and do not have an S in the part number were never made without one. I believe, if you check, you will find that the FL-200 and the FL-2005 have a silicone ADBV, and they were introduced in 1995 and 1998 respectively.

Is it safe to say that ALL of the black-colored ADBV's in MC filters are nitrile, & ALL the orange-colored ADBV's in MC filters are silicone?

I don't really know or care whether the Purolator or Motorcraft is better. I think they are both good. In fact I rather like the Fleetguard for its freer flow, but it does not have the threaded end bypass.

When I buy Purolator I get Premium Plus, not the more restrictive Pure One. The only thing I really care about is that the bypass is on the threaded end of the filter. I can get the extra long version of the FL1A (FL299) in Purolator and it has the threaded end bypass (L40017).

They're both great filters and deciding which one is better than the other is really splitting hairs. Me personally, my choices are either a Motorcraft FL200 or Purolator Premium Plus L14670 for my Jeep-can't go wrong with either.

They do have a silicon ADBV, I know, I just changed oil in the F150 this past weekend. It's an orangy kind of color. Thing works good. For any of you that don't change F150's, the filter is mounted horizontally as opposed to vertically. When I took the filter off, it was still 75% full of oil.

my choice between purolator/AA totalgrip/motorcraft is which ever one is on sale for <$3. All my cars have 130K+ miles and all these filters give me great results on my Ford and Mazdas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back